Corded Drill still worth buying?

Started by boltpost, March 28, 2012, 10:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boltpost

In 2006 this forum discussed corded drills.  I was hopeful that we could revisit this as I need to purchase a drill in the coming week. Currently owned drills are one speed, rusty, torn cords, and very old. 

Someone will be quick to ask "what projects do you foresee?'

1)   Drilling ½" holes in railroad ties for a septic system
2)   Installing a garage door in the family home
3)   Creating a sign for the road to direct workers to the home site
4)   Drilling holes in 2 x 6 for plumbing, electrical, and water

Looking forward to your input, thanks.
Small Beach Cabin in Progress
http://under600squarefeet.wordpress.com/

Alan Gage

I like having one when I have to drill large holes. An old Black and Decker I got for a few bucks at an auction works fine when I'm drilling 4 1/2" holes. It's lower RPM than my cordless so that helps. I used my cordless for drilling 1/2"-1" holes in studs for wiring and pretty much all other drilling projects. No problem.

If you don't have a cordless I'd buy that over a corded. Find a used corded drill for the few times you really need it. Or just get a new one, I don't think they're very expensive. I also bought an impact driver about 1/2 way through my build and love it, wish I'd bought it sooner. I got a 12 volt for the small size and it's done everything I ask so far but at times the 18v would be nice for a little more power. The small size of the 12v with a lithium battery is hard to beat though.

Or maybe you should spend some extra and buy a hammer drill to use as your corded. I believe most have a setting that switches from normal drill to hammer drill. A bit more money and bulk but it would kill two birds with one stone...plus you'd have a hammer drill! I'm happy with my Milwaukee. I think it was somewhere around $160 but I can't remember for sure. I love not having to go rent a hammer drill when I just need a few holes.

Alan

Redoverfarm

Cordless drills have their place but I always keep my Hitachi 1/2" drill handy to finish the rough jobs.  Mason drilling is really hard on the batteries and they usually stop short.  I am really happy with the Hitachi although it is not "hammer" verson.  That will be something on my extended wish list.

MountainDon

IMO, unless the immediate and foremost use involves a lot of large holes, or lots of holes in concrete, the cordless is the way to go. But only with Lithium batteries, IMO. The Li give virtually full power right up to when they stop and the charge lasts longer. More $$ for Li batteries, but well worth it, IMO. I have corded drills from years ago. They seldom get used anymore. I even use cordless for drilling 1/2 to 5/8" holes in steel, unless there are a lot of them to drill. And cordless can not be beat for driving screws. I have a 1/2" cordless hammer drill that works well for its size too.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

It used to be if you wanted an electric drill, it was a Milwaukee. My old  hole shooter has over 20 years of hard use. The hole hawg, the electricians and plumbers standby has enough torque to turn the house over if it gets stuck. My last 2 from them were bought at a big box, don't know if that was the difference or not, they aren't much, a 1/2" hammer drill and the large pipe handled 5/8.

After a 1200 rpm large bodied Ryobi bound up while drilling in steel broke my wrist, I got a B&D Timberwolf, Dewalt later made it. It has a 325rpm low speed setting that also engages a 75 ft-lb clutch, the clutch slips when you are in that position of getting ready to punch a joist. I have a 1/2" Makita with the same setup now.
This is my most frequently used big drill and most often loaned out.... which is why there have been a couple, they have saved several folks a busted wrist I'm sure.

UK4X4

mm lets see

I have 2 hammer walt cordless ones
1 Bosh LI
1 makita

all cordless
The dewalts I have with me - the makita in the uk and the bosh in the US

I don't think I can remember a week when I have'nt used one or the other- drilling or screwing something

The dewalts get the most use Nicad 14V ones two chargers and about 5 batteries.....when the batteries go I just rebuild them

pretty sure my muscles don't remember their last manual screw.

If your handy about the house they are indispencable in my book

Cabled I have two Bosh hammer drills- both pro models - with the tension release mechanism as noted above by Don

one is SDS for properly drilling holes in concrete
once you've used an SDS hammer drill you won't go back to the little ratatatatatat versions

Then in the UK --as we have brick houses.......I have a rotary hammer too this goes through just about anything !

Squirl

I have the cheap Black and decker one that I picked up for $10 IIRC about 4 years ago.  I even used it to mix all the mortar for my foundation.  It still works too. I had one that I picked up for $5 from a closeout chinese import store that lasted me 5 years also.  It depends on how much you use it.  Cordless are great for small jobs in light wood.  Drilling joists for plumbing and studs for wires, I like a corded drill.  I wouldn't even think of drilling metal with a cordless

MushCreek

I'm in love with my 18V LiOn cordless Milwaukee tools, but I've noticed that the drill will stop if pushed hard enough. I was just drilling a lot of steel, and had to break out the old Milwaukee Hole Shooter (corded). I've had that corded Milwaukee for 35 years now.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

rick91351

95% of the time I think with what I do cordless works great.  However there are places where a 1/2 inch chuck and horse power is required.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

I do 99% of my drilling with my 18v 1/2 inch Makita's but, every so often you want a corded drill that is strong enough to tear your arm off and beat you with the bloody end of it.... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rick91351

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 29, 2012, 12:43:00 AM
I do 99% of my drilling with my 18v 1/2 inch Makita's but, every so often you want a corded drill that is strong enough to tear your arm off and beat you with the bloody end of it.... [waiting]

Yep that is the one I was talking about, the arm beaker.  Get wound up with it you know you been to a tussle!  All kidding aside they are very dangerous.  I only grab one of them when I feel it safe to do so.   I own two of them.  But then I pretty much know what I got a hold of when I am using one of them.......

There is a smaller half inch corded model I would really like to have and I am going to get when I come across it.  It was a Milwaukee I think or maybe a Makita I have to check with the owner again.  I had to borrow it from the guy the owns the store near the ranch last year when we were  roughing in some wiring.  I had bought a Irwin Speedbor MAX Speed One Inch bit.  Neither my cordless drill or a small DeWalt corded drill motor could handle that bit.  That bit was one of the ones tested in the Feb/March FineHomebuilding.  Of the self-feeding fluted bits it won but with limitations in that you have to have a motor big enough to turn it.  Sort of the samething I found.

And there was no way I was going to use an arm beaker up on a ladder.  Especially up over my head with a bit that hangs up easy and a motor that can hurt you.  So I borrowed a smaller safer drill motor.  It was a perfect combination.  But then I do not have your 18v half inch Makita.  I can however report my DeWalt Cordless not that big - tried and failed to turn that bit, my corded DeWalt failed as well worked better -  but was going to burn up.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rick91351

Quote from: boltpost on March 28, 2012, 10:34:52 AM

In 2006 this forum discussed corded drills.  I was hopeful that we could revisit this as I need to purchase a drill in the coming week. Currently owned drills are one speed, rusty, torn cords, and very old. 

Someone will be quick to ask "what projects do you foresee?'

1)   Drilling ½" holes in railroad ties for a septic system
2)   Installing a garage door in the family home
3)   Creating a sign for the road to direct workers to the home site
4)   Drilling holes in 2 x 6 for plumbing, electrical, and water

Looking forward to your input, thanks.

Sorry to kind of steal your thread in the above post.  But it depends on what you are going to do.  If just around the house type stuff and light building then a nice sized cordless is all you would ever use.  If you are going to build a house from ground up I would either add a big cordless or a mid sided corded half inch drill to my arsenal.  (NOT AN ARM BREAKER!)   Myself for me, corded drills are far from being obsolete.  That said I sure do not use them like I once did in favor a handy cordless. 

Also on the idea of needing a larger drill for like running a lot of wire or plumbing and you are the type that does not want a lot of tools or stuff hanging around.  Then you can rent one from the rental store.  [waiting] Unless you are 50 or 60 miles from one.... then figure on accumulating tools.... [waiting] and lots of'em..... [waiting]

Squirl

Ok you got me.

QuoteDrilling ½" holes in railroad ties for a septic system

???

rick91351

Quote from: Squirl on March 29, 2012, 10:16:48 AM
Ok you got me.

???

I had the same reaction.  But I took that as referring to the 2006 posting and did not think any one would answer that one.......

Okay I will join in  ??? as well!

considerations

I have a De Walt DW 505 corded.  It's heavy but has never refused any job I've asked of it. There is a switch that changes it over to that "hammer" mode that helps to avoid stripping screws or tearing my hand off at the wrist.  There is an additional handle that can be attached (quickly) if needed.

I would love to have a cordless drill for quick and lighter tasks as well, but I had to choose.