Old Windows - how to make new frame?

Started by RayN, April 26, 2005, 11:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayN

I have some old multipaned windows I want to reuse.  They are big about 2 feet by 5 feet and still in good shape,  single pane of course.

I got them without the frame (casing?) and they will be fixed.  Does anyone have a link or tips on what kind of wood I should use for making a sill and frame for it.  I understand I should angle the sill so water doesn't puddle on it.  I'll  caulk all around but should I just use 1/4 round to hold them in place?

I'd just hate to have them rot out right away.

Thanks

Amanda_931

Could also look at John's instructions for putting in large pieces of insulated glass.  It would probably work fine, keep water away from the wood.

Or......

Declare these the glazing on the cold frame for next spring--or this fall for the spinach!.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarden/knowhow/pp/coldframes.html

glenn-k

I used some old windows and just used 1/4 x 3/4 wood strips ripped on the table saw and put it in with 1" narrow crown staples, or as you said - 1/4 round would probably work - Do something you like the looks of - the window doesn't care :)  I will use clear siliconized caulking later to seal.  For now it will work ;D

jraabe

Here is a window that Ken Kern built with a vent above. It was designed to fit between the studs, but you can adapt the frame size to fit your glass.

This from the Owner Built Home.