Okanogan 20x30

Started by SkagitDrifter, September 30, 2008, 12:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkagitDrifter

Quote from: Toyotaboy on August 23, 2012, 08:44:11 AM
Skagitdrifter,

Awesome outside shower. What is the silver canister on legs in the corner? Some sort of water heater? How is it powered? Propane?

I'm very curious.

Toyotaboy!

Hey Ron-
It's called the Zodi.  Nothing more than a stainless tank that you pump up to get the water under pressure.
Small propane bottle / burner attaches to the bottom.  It has a built in thermometer which gives you an idea on temp. Flick a valve switch and away you go.  I just re-plumbed it to work with a standard shower head and a quick release hose connection.  Pretty simple.  I can get a solid 10 min. shower on one fill up with water running the whole time.  Nice to have on one of those really hot days.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Zodi-Hotman-Extreme-SC-Shower/745913.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3FN%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dzodi%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D43000000079389024%26WT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26WT.mc_id%3Dgoogle%7Ccam_Camp%2BEssentials_Showers%252C%2BToilets%2BAccessories%7CUSA%26rid%3D20%26pcrid%3D12987111978&Ntt=zodi&WTz_l=PPC
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

Toyotaboy

Thanks for the link!

What a cool little unit. I was trying to figure out what I was going to do at my place.  I've never seen anything like it.

Ron

SkagitDrifter

Got the rest of the floor done this past weekend.  Was a ton of work but well worth the effort.
Moving on to interior trim in the next couple of weeks.
September 1st starts our upland bird season here in Washington.  No work on the cabin for me- Cash and I will be chasing Grouse all Labor day weekend with some horseshoes, beer drinking and BBQ thrown in.
Hope you all have a great Labor Day Weekend.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

SkagitDrifter

Not the best pictures but these came from the trail camera down in the Aspen grove about 100 yards from the cabin.  This kinda looks like a sow with a cub.  Saw a ton of bear scat while out chasing Grouse this weekend.
Glad I didn't get between these two.

Hope you all had a Great Labor Day Weekend.
Abraham Lincoln

SkagitDrifter

Thought I would post a few more game camera photos from last week.
Seen a lot of bear in our area again this year.
The cougar makes me a bit uneasy.  I spend a lot of time banging around the woods looking for grouse.
I suppose having a loaded 20 gauge with me is a good thing- that is if I ever hear them before its too late.

Abraham Lincoln

Redoverfarm

Quote from: SkagitDrifter on September 12, 2012, 11:55:45 AM
I suppose having a loaded 20 gauge with me is a good thing- that is if I ever hear them before its too late.

Hope you are referring to the cat. The 20 ga will just P*@# the bear off. ;)  BTW good pictures.

OlJarhead

I finally got a cat pic near our cabin I'll post soon.  It's a crappy pic but it's obvious what's in it.

SkagitDrifter

Another cougar from this past weekends game-cam check.
Tough to tell but this guy looks like a pretty young cat.

Abraham Lincoln

Yonderosa

Thanks for sharing the pictures.  Inspirational.
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

mountainlady1956

Interesting pic. If I saw a pic of that kitty near my house I don't think I'd want to leave. I'm a big chicken though  ::) and not very handy with a gun.

SkagitDrifter

Spent the weekend at the cabin- worked like a dog finishing the door and window trim.
Pulled the trail camera to find this nice little family. 

All we're missing now is Goldilocks.

Abraham Lincoln

SkagitDrifter

Still alive and kicking out here...
Dodging wild fires, picking away on small projects around the cabin all the while enjoying the place.
Spent the last year pretty much finishing up the place- but there is always a new project right around the corner.

Built and installed the screen door

First attempt at wood burning

Finally got around to the loft ladder.

Got within 30 yards of this guy.  Bow season starts in two weeks.

Abraham Lincoln

OlJarhead

Glad you made it through the fires!  How close were you?

SkagitDrifter

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 18, 2014, 02:41:05 PM
Glad you made it through the fires!  How close were you?

We got lucky.  Missed us by a good bit this time.  Really sad to see the devastation.
Abraham Lincoln

OlJarhead

Yep, very sad.  We had to rebuild a LOT of plant in the Okanogan and I've seen a lot of it.  Biggest lesson I learned probably:  dirt and gravel are your friend.

Some very nice cabins survived the burn in the hottest, fastest moving, worst parts of the fire storm because they were surrounded by dirt and/or gravel.  About 30 feet of dirt around the cabins, no trees inside that space (more often 100 feet out) and steel roofs...total devastation around them but not the cabins themselves.

Learned a lesson there and will get my place that way!

dablack

That is good advice for anyone living in a wooded area.  Not just for fire but for hurricanes too.  If you are higher than the storm surge, then the only thing you have to worry about is a tree falling into your house.  No trees within falling distance means little to no damage.  My property is 3 1/2 hours from where Ike hit and we still have some trees that are bent over and hooked under another tree.  They are all leaning the same direction.  Who knows how many of the trees went down, as I didn't own the property then.

Austin

SkagitDrifter

Lots of bear again this year.  This guy looks a bit too comfortable.
Camera is set about 50 yards from the cabin door.

Abraham Lincoln

nailit69

Beautiful place... nice work on the cabin... looks great!  A few more "locals" than I expected to see, but hey... we've got plenty of guns and ammo.  Nice to see the wildlife as long as it doesn't wander too close

My daughter just bought 20ac. up that way out towards Oroville... we're going to build a cabin up there for her.  Was hoping to get up there this winter but looks/sounds like we'll be out of luck til spring of '15, super excited to get up there and start building something.  I might look for some temporary construction work over there so I can stay in the area next summer and get things wrapped up by winter.  If I have to work in Seattle and commute every weekend back over there it just won't be realistic to get it done before winter sets in. 

My dad has been going up there (Okanogan) for 15 or more years and he's always loved it there, we've spent a few summers up there at Concunully and Fish Lake.  Maybe we'll see each other around town some time.

SkagitDrifter

Wow! What a week.
Have not been here for a while.
Hoping that all the Okanogan folks on this site are hanging in there and are safe.
We got hammered by the wildfires- ripped right through our place but by the grace of God our cabin was spared.  I planned the place with fire and snow in mind.  The gravel pad and metal siding around the base of the cabin surely saved the structure.  We lost the outhouse, a camp deck, and most of the fences around the place- all fairly easy to replace.  Most of the mature Aspen trees look like they will make it- amazing how fast the fire came through.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to the fire crews, land owners and all involved in the crazy time.
Lots of clean up to do, but first, a good nights sleep.
Thanks for looking in.
SD

Abraham Lincoln

midrover170

All I can say is WOW. Happy for you that the place survived.

I've been thinking about surrounding my build with gravel/rock and this makes it clear what I should do. Good on ya for thinking that through beforehand.

OlJarhead

So glad you made it!!!  Where are you located?  Near the Loop?  Conconully?  Hwy155?  I've been over most of the area in the last week running around doing damage assesments and am always amazed when I see how some structures survive!  So glad to see yours is one of them!

SkagitDrifter

Thanks Erik-
We're up North Pine Creek- Right on the edge of the Sinlahekin Valley.
Abraham Lincoln

OlJarhead

Quote from: SkagitDrifter on August 26, 2015, 07:16:47 PM
Thanks Erik-
We're up North Pine Creek- Right on the edge of the Sinlahekin Valley.

Oh geez!  Glad you survived then!  That area was burned early and often!  Still burning out Sinlahekin and my guys couldn't get up there today to restore service because of backburns and fireline work

madge4500

Loved watching your progress, most of us can only dream of such a beautiful place, the views and the wildlife.
I lived on an Island for 18 years, the wildlife and flora was wonderful, the views were great especially in certain weather, and certain seasons, fall was my favorite, that fresh smell, the leaves, and oh my, so many ducks, foxes and deer.
Dreadful to see the fire pictures, that would be so heart breaking.