Basic book for framing/building that isn't way over my head?

Started by SardonicSmile, December 14, 2009, 01:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SardonicSmile

I bought "The Complete Book of Framing" by Scot Simpson. It has way more information than I need to build a simple, bare-bones 30x20' cottage. It's hard to find the basic information when I need it. I will be building this house with the help of a carpenter, but I would still like to know a little about what i'm doing.

Can you guys recommend any DIY framing/building books that are more on the simple side?

n74tg

You may not need a book at all.  I googled the subject "house framing" and the very first reference looks pretty good.

http://www.carpentry-pro-framer.com/

There are other links there too.  When you go to the link above and select a topic, it looks like just a single paragraph is written about that topic.  Slide the cursor down (below the advertisement) for lots more info on each topic.

Good luck. 
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

dug

The book I have, 'Building your own House/ Part 1- From foundations to Framing' by Robert Roskind is excellent in my opinion. It is geared towards the owner/ builder and is very easy to follow. It is a bit dated, last print in 1984, but the retro photos are a bonus!

MountainDon

I like the first three books on John's list....

http://www.countryplans.com/books.html

The others are probably good too. I simply have not had a personal look at them.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Beavers

I've got the same book by Simpson.  I did end up using it quite a bit while framing my house.

I also have the Graphic Guide to Frame Construction, and the Working Alone book.  (both good books in the list that Don linked)

IMO you need multiple books.  One book might leave me scratching my head, but after looking at the other books it would click. 

Three or four books, Google, and this website are usually enough for me to halfway figure out what I'm doing.  d*

Redoverfarm

Another good book that I often use is

Modern Carpentry
by Willis H. Wagner

Copyright 1992
The Goodheart-Willcox Company, Inc.

This book was used in High Schools as part of their shop courses

You may check around and find a used copy as surplus from a school.

rwanders

I've often found the Wagner book in libraries also-----excellent book!
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

MikeT

So far on my project, I have used many, many books, articles, this web site and conversations with people who may be in the know.   The books, articles, and web site have largely come from the terrific participants here.  If you don't do this stuff full time and really want to learn, I think this is essential.  I agree that no one book (let's say source) will likely serve as a "bible."

In Malcolm Gladwell's bestseller, Outliers, he talks about how much practice it takes to master a skill--it is his 10,000 hour rule.  For most of us, we will not be dedicating that much time to learn and master the task at hand, which in work days is the equivalent of 1250 work days.  But I would think if we really want to become better, we need to understand things from as many perspectives as possible.

One additional source that has not come up yet: Youtube.  I have found a treasure trove of help "how-to" videos by searching for specific things.  Right now, I am seeing how different people do hang and tape drywall.

mt

jdhen

I second the youtube nomination.  The videos on windows and doors helped me a lot.

For the framing I referred frequently to the Roskind book mentioned above and also Do-It-Yourself Housebuilding by George Nash.
Jesse

SardonicSmile

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like i really just need to get 3 or 4 books and do some studying online as well.

MikeT

considerations

House Framing by John D. Wagner. Got me through to the roof, which I hired out. .....and I knew absolutely nothing about building.

I started with a 25' and 100' tape measure, 2 levels, 3 hand saws, and 2 hammers, and thought I was doing great because I had "extra" tools.   

If I can, you can.....'course I have a few more tools now.  c*

poppy

I have found the book "Do-It-Yourself HOUSEBUIDING THE COMPLETE HANDBOOK" by George Nash to be helpful.

It is not a framing book but includes framing.  It covers the gambit from site planning at the start to landscaping at the end.

It also has a bunch of good reference stuff from frost depth maps, snow load maps, wind load maps, to span tables.

There are practical illustrations of do's and don'ts on several subjects.

704 pages of good stuff for the DIY guy or gal.  8)