Advantech Flooring & Zip Wall

Started by BADB0Y, April 25, 2012, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BADB0Y

I am curious about everyone's experience with Advantech flooring and what thinkness they used. I'm thinking about using the big stuff (1 1/8") for my "dance floor". The span allowance on that stuff is crazy!

The same manufacturer mame a product called Zip Wall for wall/roof sheathing. Has anyone used it?
Thank you in advance for any responses!
Please excuse my typos, I post from my cell phone 90% of the time!

MushCreek

I used 3/4" for my barn loft (16" spacing) and it's very solid. It also holds up to weather well if it takes you a while to get dried in. Bear in mind that the tongue and groove materials are not a full 48" wide like other sheet goods, so if your floor is an exact multiple of 4', you'll come up short.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Arky217

I used Advantech 3/4" T&G for my subfloor; it appears to be good stuff.
As mentioned, you do have to allow for it not covering exactly 4' in width.

I also used the Zip roof and sheathing panels.

Tip: If you are going with the Zip roof panels, get the 5/8" and not the 1/2"; the 1/2" thickness just doesn't have enough fastener holding ability, especially if you using nails.
I got the 1/2" because the retailer didn't stock the 5/8". I used screws in attaching a hidden fastener metal roof and several screws stripped out or went into a void.

The Zip tape is very good. My taped roof weathered 6 months before I even put felt on and it didn't leak a drop. The longer the tape is on, the stronger the bond.

I used 2&3/8" hot galvanized nails to attach the roof and wall panels.

If I were to do it again, however, I think that I would use 5/8" Advantech T&G
for the roof and cover with synthetic felt. The Advantech seems to be denser and has more resin than the Zip panels; It would probably retain the roof fasteners much better.

Tip: The floor T&G panels are slightly under 8' long to allow for an end expansion gap.
The roofing panels, however, are not. What I did was butt the roofing panels tight end to end and then afterwards, I set my circular saw for 1/2" depth and cut a groove between the panels.

Last Tip: Don't bother with the Zip tape dispenser; you can do a much straighter application by unrolling the tape by hand about 6' at a time and center it over the seam, then hold it stretched straight and tight while you pull the backing out from under it. You will need, however, some kind of roller to press the tape down tightly.

Arky

BADB0Y

I may have the chance to buy as much as I need for less than cost. I work at a big box store that is discontinuing it, so I will be paying the same price as cheap standard OSB of about $8 a sheet. Just might have to join you on the idea of putting it on the roof too.
Please excuse my typos, I post from my cell phone 90% of the time!

Arky217

Another nice thing about the Zip wall panels is that they come in 9' length. On a standard 8' wall, this enables you to cover from the top of the wall down past the rim joist.

Also, because of the membrane on them, you don't really need a weather barrier covering. I put vinyl siding directly over the panels as recommended by the manufacturer.

Arky