Loft stair wall?

Started by beckhamk, April 16, 2012, 07:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beckhamk

We have a L shaped stairs (stairs with a landing) going to our loft.   I want to add a railing to the inner wall of the stair going up, but i dont have a wall to attach the railing to. So I need to build a 4ft or so wall that i can attach the railing to in the loft.  I was planning to frame that with 2x4's but then i got to thinking are 2x4's proper or should this be 2x6's?  I also am worried about this wall being wobbly as it will be nailed to the loft floor, but will be about 5-6ft long.  I am sure the one end would be solid, but how do i build this to prevent the wall from being wobbly?

BTW: I plan to take the T&G up the wall onto this new wall.    Here is a pic of the stairs

considerations

How about 3 floor to ceiling posts instead of walls?  One at the bottom of the stairs, one at the corner and one at the top with the railing attached to them. Keeps the nice open look you already have.  Just a thought.  ;D

beckhamk

Sorry, the picture is a little miss leading. the wall isnt for that location, its up on the loft floor as you get towards the loft floor  and look to your left is where the wall would be.

John Raabe

Could you set a 4x4 post into the loft floor on the rearward edge of the nearest joist and block on either side between that rafter and the one further back? That would give you three faces to bolt or nail to.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

beckhamk

John - thanks this is a great idea and i hadnt thought of that.

beckhamk

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.....   I ended up using johns option and it worked great!

I just ended up using 2 x   2x6, cut a hole in the floor and nailed them to the wall.  Then drilled holes for the bolts and its solid as can be.

considerations

ColchesterCabin

Fantastic build so far, keep up the good job. Can you post a few more pictures regarding the stove pipe area going through the ceiling and how it works with yours as my project has the same style setup with mine.
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/