Makita Table Saw

Started by MountainDon, March 31, 2012, 01:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I have decided to replace a 35 year old machine that needs both a heart and lung transplant. Plus maybe a kidney if I do it right all at once.  ;D  The parts add up to more than I'm happy to spend on it.  :-\

Does anyone here have a Makita table saw? In particular a Model 2705.

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=180380

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-2705-10-Inch-Contractor-Table/dp/B0027FFKWY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_6

Some of the things I like about it is it has a 3 5/8" depth of cut with a 10 inch blade
No load motor speed of 4800 RPM (better, smoother cuts the faster the blade goes)
Electric blade brake
25 inch rip capacity
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

The price is right Don but I am not a big fan of direct drive motors.

dug

There is one at the job site where I am working and though I haven't used it I played with the fence adjustment a bit and it seems very nice. I own several Makita tools and they all seem especially tight and precise, my old Makita circular saw in particular has always been my favorite.

MountainDon

I think Makita does a good job on everything they place their name on.  I have a few makita tools; they are all quite old.

It seems difficult to find a belt drive saw in this class of table saw.

My other contenders are the Ridgid Model # R4510, the Bosch 4100 and the DeWalt DW744. On paper the makita is winning.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on April 01, 2012, 09:43:23 AM

My other contenders are the Ridgid Model # R4510, the Bosch 4100 and the DeWalt DW744. On paper the makita is winning.

We have the Bosch and the De Walt at work , I prefer the De Walt as the fence is easier to design jigs for , attach easily removable sacrificial fences to , or sliding jigs that use the fence. 

That being said the Bosch saw is older and other than needing new brushes once it a tough saw. 

I have a old Makita 8 1/4" which I really like mainly for it's slightly smaller size and lighter weight, it's my job site saw , so it's smaller size and lighter weight are assets for packing around it the truck.

I think you'd be happy with any of the three Makita , Bosch , or De Walt .   
G/L PEG       
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Thanks PEG. So it comes down to what color I like?   ;)

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on April 01, 2012, 10:42:47 AM
Thanks PEG. So it comes down to what color I like?   ;)

Maybe , for me it would be the fence style, and I'd choose the DeWalt.   But if jigging off the fence isn't something you do , then color would be the next best option to select from.   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Well, I have gravitated towards the DeWalt 744X. 99% sure on it now.  :D  At first I thought the fence was rather cheap, but then I discovered the rack and pinion lateral control and it all made sense. Just different from what I was used to.   ::)   

hpinson

The Rigid R4510 is very good too.  I had its big (belt-drive) brother and was very happy with it, but needed space and sold it.

HD at Cottonwood had a stack of Rigid R4516 for a very good price a few weeks back:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4516-Table-Saw/EN/index.htm

Looks like a pretty good saw.  I'm super happy with my other Rigid tools.

I need to tote to the site, so smaller is better, however, if space and weight were not an issue, i'd prefer a bigger table than any of these have.

MountainDon

There is now a DeWalt 744 table saw sitting in my garage/workshop; bolted to stand/remains of the old saw.   :)   It cuts wood and was very well adjusted out of the box; had to diddle the miter gauge but that was about it. It even looks like the blade guard is usable, unlike the monstrosity of inconvenience that came with the old saw.

Also some new Freud thin kerf blades.  :)

hpinson

jackel440

Quote from: MountainDon on April 20, 2012, 04:26:32 PM
There is now a DeWalt 744 table saw sitting in my garage/workshop; bolted to stand/remains of the old saw.   :)   It cuts wood and was very well adjusted out of the box; had to diddle the miter gauge but that was about it. It even looks like the blade guard is usable, unlike the monstrosity of inconvenience that came with the old saw.

Also some new Freud thin kerf blades.  :)
We need pics or there is no proof ! ;)

MountainDon

I have a problem with flat horizontal surfaces attracting objects.....

Redoverfarm

You are not alone Don. I generally have to empty the table top to use mine. d*

Don_P

Cool, you have a shaper when you stand the Shopsmith's bars up  ;D.

I went the other route, I've always wanted a Delta unisaw and got an ex industrial one in an online auction for $300. It seems to be in pretty good shape, I think they are about $2k nowadays so I felt good about that. Now the debate is whether to remotor it for single phase $400 and have the beast somewhat portable, or build a phase converter to run it, which is cheap but a hassle to use on an on/off machine.

At the job we're running on what must be the 4th motor on the craftsman I bought used when I was 16. Funny thing is this motor is from my BIL's 50's model craftsman, I wore the arbor out on it. I'll probably rebuild it. It was the small bodied heavy cast 10" of that era. We had it in the back of the truck when we went in for groceries in a city in IL. We came back out and someone had dropped the tailgate and drug it to the back. He must have realized he was about to trade life as a soprano for ten dollars worth of scrap iron  ;D. That's about right for a jobsite saw. 

John_M

I have the same Dewalt power saw and really like it!  It has done everything I have asked it to do!  I really like the fence!!

Good choice!
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

BADB0Y

Thanks to you guys and this thread, I am working on getting a DW744x myself now!
Please excuse my typos, I post from my cell phone 90% of the time!