Linear Actuators

Started by MountainDon, February 06, 2012, 11:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Has anyone had any experience with linear actuators? Either built something from scratch using them or with something store bought?

If the term linear actuator means nothing to you it is the sort of device that would be used to lift a flat screen TV from its resting place in a cabinet up to its viewing position. They're also the devices that move medical tables up and down, move dentists chairs, power windows in cars, robotic arms....

I'm thinking of making a TV cabinet the flat screen TV could retract into. Ready made mechanisms run from $450 up into the stupid zone.  ::)  The actuator itself can be bought for $120 to 140. Then vertical guides are required... full extension things like ball bearing drawer glides. A power supply, the motors are usually 12 VDC. Remote control or simple rocker switch to make it go up & down.

NOTE: The website that was linked below has asked (on June 13, 2013) that these links be removed. Their main web site is here: http://www.progressiveautomations.com/
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I have two of them on my Bushhog.  One for the snow plow when on and another always on the dump bed.  Both controlled with rocker switches.  No problems with either and seem pretty strong.  Also had one on an old satellite tv dish. 
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Tickhill

We use linear actuators to position buffing stones on our whitewall buffing machines to remove the black rubber veneer that covers the raised white letters or whitewall pedestal on tires. We also use actuators to extend and lower a paint nozzle to spray a protective coating of paint on the freshly buffed whitewall.
Both sets of actuators are of commercial design and are DC with controllers.
Used an actuator years ago on my first satelite dish like Glenn also.
Very reliable in my 25 years at the plant if given some pm occasionally but that is in a harsh environment.
Can't wait to see what your going to build!
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

Don_P

There is one on the security gate I go through every morning. The actuator has worked flawlessly. The control box is a whole nuther matter  :P Nothing gets an inspection off to a good start like an inspector who's been punching the county emergency code and is stuck behind the gate.

saltwater redneck

Long time ago I used them alot back in my custom car days.  My suggestions are to by one with the exact stroke length you need that will shutoff at the end of the stroke. That will get rid of limit switches.  Some of the actuators can be noisy, maybe a little too noisy for a TV cabinet.

It is not too hard to build your own with a small elec motor, threaded rod and some limit switches.
Lee

saltwater redneck

It will also be easier to build everything on a central lift and guide instead of using an acuator in the center and a guide at each end. In this design if anything binds/sticks it can really tear itself up. With a central lift and guide it will be much more reliable. Think of a jack on the front of a RV or horse trailer, one tube over another tube with the lift inside. That is basically the design I am picturing in my head. Hope I am making sense.
Lee

NM_Shooter

Be sure to check Surplus City on Central street for actuators.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"