24 X 40 Loft Build in Labrador West

Started by tmcmurran, July 18, 2013, 10:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmcmurran

Well I thought I would take a day off from sheeting the roof and watch someone else work for a change.  Sad part is just how much it costs to watch others work.  But we now have our well drilled before winter :)

rick91351

Having a well and water is so  [cool]

How deep did they have to go?

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

tmcmurran

Quote from: rick91351 on September 22, 2013, 09:12:51 AM
Having a well and water is so  [cool]

How deep did they have to go?

Well they guessed it would be in the 120 foot range, and it came out at 130.  So I suppose they hit the nail right on the head.  Flow could be a little better, but at 3.5 gpm I suppose we can live with that too.  If needed we can add an indoor storage tank to take up any shortcomings once we get moved in and know our average consumption but I am thinking we should be good at that rate.  Not like we are filling up a hot tub every day :)

rick91351

3.5 that is the Nile River compared to what we have right now!

However you might see about a large pressure tank.  That has a lot more storage with out having to purchase another storage tank plus a pressure tank.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

tmcmurran

Quote from: rick91351 on September 22, 2013, 01:05:24 PM
3.5 that is the Nile River compared to what we have right now!

However you might see about a large pressure tank.  That has a lot more storage with out having to purchase another storage tank plus a pressure tank.

That is a feasible alternative, and would save space in the utility room :)  Going to price a few large pressure tanks and see what and where I can find one at a decent price :)

tmcmurran

Roofing day!

Going to start  the installation of the metal roofing today :)  Need to getter done sooner rather than later with the weather really starting to turn up here in the sub-arctic!

Going to use the self sealing ice and snow weather guarding rather then felt under the strapping.  Cost is a little higher, but with sub zero temperatures and tons of snow I think it will pay for its self with less issues down the road.

Will be sure to have a photo installation guide once it is all up later in the week. :) 

tmcmurran

Just a quick update.  Going to start to put the metal on in the morning.  All the weather shield and strapping are in place and if the rain holds off Friday up the red roof goes!   I still need to cut the door out from the loft on the front, and cut out the large window above the patio door over looking the lake before the weather gets much worse.  We did manage to cut out and install the pipe and support kit for the wood stove on the other side, so that is good to go.

I still have 4 135 watt solar panels to get up and the generator/well shed constructed before the snow hits :(  Lots to do and so little time.

tmcmurran

About time I added an update here..

Well after a few stumbles we have managed to get the metal on the roof and begin the siding.

Even managed to get the wood stove in and started insulating where I will not be running any electrical.

The other half is leading the charge with tile and rock work around the stove mantle :)

UK4X4

Two Q's for you

wood stove chimney- I'm guessing your not in a code area ?

a few things pop into my head -

height above the roof to get a good draft- be in line with code - see section 2

http://www.northlineexpress.com/chimney/chimney-pipe-stove-pipe/chimney-pipe/help-pipe-install-planning.html

If your in a snow area you'll need some V protection on the roof to divert snow either side of the stack

I'm just getting my wood stove/ fireplace quoted and no local supplier would do me a wall exit and up install
they required an exterior enclosure over the pipe.

I was intending to exit the wall with 2 -30deg bends at the apex of the roof but they both refused

tmcmurran

No, that is just set in place to check the distance before closing in the eves. :)  But then again code in Canada is a little less stringent it seems then in the US.  As long as the installation follows CSA Standards all is good.  The cap only needs to be three feet from the exit point, but we will be well above that :)

tmcmurran

So we managed to finish off most of the front and install the second floor door.  Just need to remember that the deck is not there and take a wrong turn at night :)

Need to finish off the sofit and a little metal in the morning before moving around the side and to the rear for the window install above the patio door.  Just might get this buttoned up before the snow flies yet!

tmcmurran

Just managed to finish off the lake view window and all the trimmings today just before the first real snow fall of the year.  Still have a little on the one side left to do, but that will be a quick afternoons work.

Looking up from the lake

Front views

Left side view

Needed to take a little wood into town for the woodstove there this afternoon :)

Unfinished right side view

We have started the electrical and insulation so soon enough it should be able to retain a little heat from the wood stove :)

tmcmurran

Had the camera with us today, but with what we needed to do we really had no time till the ride back in to town.

Will try again in the morning :)

tmcmurran

Quote from: arjan on November 05, 2013, 06:20:47 AM
[cool] Nice house, a beautiful place. I did not think so early in the Labrador snow falls, we have the first snow fell yesterday.

Yes unfortunately the snow comes early here and stay's till mid June.  Makes for a very short building season and creates a rush to complete outside projects.  The -50 to -60 degree Celsius temperatures force people here to ensure that they are well insulated ahead of time.  Has not been too cold yet, but starting to get that way.  Now the rush is on to complete the wiring, insulation and vapour barrier to retain the heat from the woodstove during the winter work indoors.   

tmcmurran

I have been putting in R20 in the 2x6 walls, and what turns out to be R35 in the ceiling.  So far the inside seems to be holding the heat quite well, but we have not had the temperature drop below -20 so far.  Heating is currently provided by a single wood stove till all the electrical is in.  Once that has been completed we will have a number of area's with in-floor zone heating as well.

And your English is far better than my Russian :)

tmcmurran

Well that time of year again when I need to be out everyday just to keep the road clear :)

Sad part is I still need to get up to add another section or two to the stove pipe......

North Sask

Quote from: tmcmurran on November 07, 2013, 08:45:46 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing progress on the upper level deck. I assume that will come next year or beyond. Will there be a lower level deck/porch as well?
It would be greatly appreciated if you stopped by my thread and left your two cents.
Great Northern Saskatchewan Adventure...Round 2

tmcmurran

Hi there!

Yes, we plan on adding a wrap around deck on the ground level, as well as an upper one where the "door to no where" is.  That will be a summer project since we are in the process of trying to keep the road open and get as much done to the inside as we can during the winter.  The plowing seems to take up far more time then I thought it would due to the amount of snow and cold weather these past weeks.

North Sask

Good luck with your winter work. I can't wait to see the summer progress on the decks.
It would be greatly appreciated if you stopped by my thread and left your two cents.
Great Northern Saskatchewan Adventure...Round 2

tmcmurran

Well things are progressing.  Septic system is in, but when we went to drop the pump into the well this afternoon we had issues.  Never would have guessed that ice would still be present in the casing creating a dam effect that will not permit the pump to go in.  Now we are looking at what we can do to either melt the ice or smash it enough to get the pump down the 120 feet.

Anyone have any ideas on how to clear ice from the case?  Rough guess it is about 12 feet from the well cap, but we are unsure of just how thick it is.  I was able to get a pipe down and smash it up a little, so it might not be very solid. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

rick91351

Holy cow that is a new one to me......  This time of the year and you have ice.  WWOOOWWW!!!  I think I would talk to the well driller and see if that is possible or you are finding another anomaly.   

schiada

How about something like this ?They must be used up you way ?
http://www.heatersplus.com/heaters.html

Is this some kind of permafrost thing ?
Randy

tmcmurran

So I managed to pull up roughly five gallons of mud, silt and sand from in side the casing yesterday and force the pump down 120 feet of the 140 foot deep well.  Once it starts to see some use the ice issue should take care of it's self.  No one here has ever heard or a deep well in this area icing up as bad as ours did, but I blame that on 1. not putting the pump in last fall, and 2. the fact the the hole was not cleaned out before the drillers left to create the mud and ice dam.

Oh well, all is good now and pretty much back on schedule to move in the end of the month.  :)

ajohnson

Nice work so far.  I too am looking a 24x40.  Care to share your floor plan? 

tmcmurran

Bathroom starting to get done.

Main hall way on main floor.

Starting to fill in the back yard and road down to the lake

And had to buy a loader :)