What to do when stud is over foundation bolt?

Started by cedarglen, May 23, 2007, 10:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cedarglen

What do you do when you have a foundation bolt right where your stud needs to be? I'm guessing skip the stud, tilt the wall into place, bolt the wall down and then notch the stud on the bottom and toenail it in?

PEG688

Ya pretty much , you could nail it to the top plate on lay out and tack it to one of the adjacent studs per knotched so all you need to do is tighten the bolt , untack the stud , move it to lay out and toe nail it. Don't forget the bearing plate / washer when you knotch it. And then nail off the sheathing.  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

hobbiest

out here the framers use double sills.  Put down pt tight to the foundation.  Then regular plate stock on top with the bottom hogged out for the lags.  Shim in between the two for a straight plate, Nail together every 16" with 3 12ds.  Of course, everything out here is framed with KD lumber, and your sheathing has to be going longways too, not standing up.  No framing inspections until after plumbing and electrical are in, and you can side, roof, and install windows first too.  I still can't believe that they don't check shear nailing out here.  Crazy differences.  Bit of a side track, sorry.

peg_688

"Out here  " :-/ Where would that be ??

Do you have to block at that horz. sheathing line ?? If I get you right , you normally run your sheets with the 8' side horz. to the ground :-/ So you have a seam some where in the middle "ish" of your wall??

We have under floor insp. before sheathing / sub floor is layed so Mister Inspector doesn't have to crawl in the crawlspace ,  ::) They(building dept ,  Island county ) say it because it's easier to make a correction / add foundations bolts if they find the need / a problem , could be  ::)

Now on that shear nailing , AH I wouldn't be complaining if I where you ::) They get us darn near every time for some nail  being either driven to deep , or not close enought together by 1/2" . And thats no $hit they don't mark it , they don't say where IE S W garage wall 3' up , no just nail to deep , nails not close enought, make sure all nailing in field is  no more than 12" apart in field .

He got me on that one last time , for ONE CRIPPLE UNDER ONE WINDOW 24" long cripple stud not nailed , under a 5-0 window  ::) BFD ::) Took about a hour to find it  >:( and I couldn't really believe that was what he was talking about so I kept looking for something of AH substance  >:( ::)  

glenn-k

You are supposed to leave some little stupid thing wrong where you know it is wrong and it is easy for him to find.  He will find it right off and go away happy because he will have proved his usefulness, and you will have an easy fix. :)

hobbiest

Out here is New Hampshire.  I am origonally a west coast boy.  I am not complaining about it, just weird how different things are here.  Yes the sheets run horizontal, and no they don't need blocking at the breaks, only at 8' if the wall is taller.  Totally foreign to me and goes against common sense, but, if thats the way massa want it, thats the way massa get it.Everything here is basement, don't think they actually inspect the underfloor.  Don't think they actually inspect much of anything to tell you the truth.  No, I don't miss shear nail inspections, but it makes the guys out here so complacent and lazy that sheathing is often under nailed.  Unless a stapler is being used, in which case they will fire 10 in a 6" square.  fun tool, but easy to lose control of and go crazy with it!

peg_688

#1: Out here is New Hampshire.  

#2:   Yes the sheets run horizontal, and no they don't need blocking at the breaks, only at 8' if the wall is taller.  

#3:    Totally foreign to me and goes against common sense,

#4: but it makes the guys out here so complacent and lazy that sheathing is often under nailed.

#5:     Unless a stapler is being used, in which case they will fire 10 in a 6" square.  fun tool, but easy to lose control of and go crazy with it!

#1: Humm that would be "back there" to me . Rhode Island native yanno ;)

#2: That's the way I was taught, horz. , to me staggering the joints would give you a stronger wall, I never seen a test where a wall was shaken or for that matter pushed on horz. till it's fail point.  I guess , but do not know for sure that "they" have done such a test to prove the vertical way is stronger.  But for the life of me I don't believe it could be true . ::)

#3: I think the common sence part would be that shiplap / board sheathing was "generally " run horz. , not verticaly. Yes some did run it diagonally , but the most common run was horz. , so common sence sez run the ply the longest way from the longest "common " stud lenght. If that make sence :-/ :-/

#4: Well those would be the same guys who say close enought is good enought anyway ;D  Heck when I started "EVERYTHING was hand nailed  :o  Never saw , much less used a nailgun till I moved "out here"  ;)

#5: I like staples , again I like to see a stress test to see how much weaker a stapled wall is Vs. a nailed wall.

On the "out here" issue  ;D, Dave LeBlanc , a now pasted away ,forum member  once had suggested folks put a loaction , a rought one like Whidbey Isl. Wa. , or R.I. ,  Northern Ca., etc by thier screen name . It would save a lot of questions that come up as to code , high wind , earthquake , etc . And also make things "in general" more user friendly for all hands . Just a thought any how  ;)

Daddymem

On the "out here" issue  ;D, Dave LeBlanc , a now pasted away ,forum member  once had suggested folks put a loaction , a rought one like Whidbey Isl. Wa. , or R.I. ,  Northern Ca., etc by thier screen name . It would save a lot of questions that come up as to code , high wind , earthquake , etc . And also make things "in general" more user friendly for all hands . Just a thought any how  ;)

I like that idear...looky there already do it  ;)

peg_688

Quote[

I like that idear...looky there already do it  ;)

Yes your amoung the COOL ones  8-) Now if all the other sheeple's , as Glenn calls us,  would do so eh ;D ;D

But in seriousness it would help a lot when "fleshing out " a question , part of the answer lies (is that the right word ??) with location.

John_C

... I like to see a stress test to see how much weaker a stapled wall is Vs. a nailed wall.

Me too.  I built a number of cold molded boats. Mostly we used staples to hold things together until the glue had cured.  For one reason or another we sometimes had to use nails.  We would put a something under the fastener to facilitate removing before the next layer went on.  A scrap of plywood, nylon strapping.. whatever seemed appropriate.  

Building those boats I pulled many thousands of staples and nails. Staples always kept the material more tightly fastened and were much harder to remove than a comparable nail. When a staple is driven the legs usually splay at somewhat different angles and the holding power is much higher than that of a nail driven straight into the wood. IMHO the only advantage to a nail is that the thicker shank succumbs more slowly to rust than the legs of a staple.  

In my own boats I used bronze, monel or stainless staples in places where I wouldn't  be removing them.  Pricey, but still cheaper than ring shank nails of the same materials.

peg_688

[highlight]Yup thats what I've seen . [/highlight]And IF the fasteners are rotting / corriding waters getting in and we have a whole other kettle of rotten
fish , eh!

This week I may be on a rotten house job , really rotten  :o the crew has been tearing it down , the rotten decks . I'll try and get some shots of what water does when ya let it in even a trickle at a time .

One 6x6 was so rotten Travis pushed it over with one finger after they had the upper decks removed , I guess the trim , sheathing , paint etc ,  little that was left of it,  held it up this past winter in  ur wind storms .

The place is right on Keystone beach , between Adrimals cove and the  ferry dock so John will know it's location , westerly exposed  to Adrimalty inlet , I think it's called at that point .

Scarry to think how rotten this place was and how much weight is / was on the rotten materials .

peg_688

Of course we are drifting hopefully we;ve covered the org, question  :o ;D