Ordered Plan

Started by southernsis, December 15, 2006, 06:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernsis

I just ordered the 1 1/2 story plan and the sunroom plan. I can't wait for the plans to arrive.  We are going to break ground in a few weeks.  

glenn-k

southernsis

It is going to be fun. We are really looking forward to the whole experience. If all goes well, by this time next year, we can be living in it. It will beat living in the 248 sqft cabin we are living in now.

glenn-k

I bought the plans for reference on the forum, but also used the Little House Plans from the Big Enchilada Plans Kit to make my RV storage garage.  I modified it to post and beam to use available materials.  The plans are very nice and easy to follow and best of all, affordable for nearly everyone.  

About the only guy I know who couldn't afford these plans lives in a refrigerator box down by the tracks in Fresno. :-/

desdawg

Sounds like you are off and running southernsis. Enjoy! There is a lot of satisfaction in doing for yourself.

Sassy

Southernsis - since there has been so much discussion on the forum on building a 200 sq ft house, it would be really interesting to hear your thoughts on living in your 248 sq ft cabin.  What is the layout of the cabin?  Do you have any children living with you?  Any pics?  

I am too much of a pack rat to live in a really small place - some people can - we did for the 1st couple years while we were building the underground cabin - 1st in an 8x12 ft area (96 sq ft), then we opened up the next 8x12 section.  The next section we opened up was 16x16 making the room 28x16 - we also had the porch area which is odd shaped but approx 6x16 & 8x24.  

When we moved into the 1st part it was so nice & cozy - although we had plastic walls & dirt floor with carpet over it; had to climb up the hill to the RV for the kitchen to wash dishes, take a shower, etc, walk about 120 ft down the trail to the outhouse - which at the time, I thought was wonderful - sure beat the little port-a-potty!  :P  You could look over the valleys & mountains plus ya got lots of exercise!  

Then after awhile a person gets claustrophobic in the little area & we've just kept building!  It's been hard work & is still an ongoing project, but it's been fun too & we truly have a very unique home that we've built ourselves!   :)

southernsis

We have 1 room. We have a futon, a large frig and a large propane range. We also have the bottom half of the china hutch for storage, 2 dressers, tv,and all the other electronics. There is a computer desk, with computer, printer, scanner. Our bathroom area is divided by using the dressers as a privacy wall. We are not crowded. We have made use of every inch of wall space.  Washing machine is on the covered deck. It is not too bad. It is my husband, myself and our 160 pound Newfoundland. It is cozy, but we all stay out of each others way. We spend our days outside, so only come in to clean up, eat and sleep.
It will be nice when we get our place built so we can spread out a little.
As soon as I get a replacement camera, I will post a picture of our little hideaway.
In the mean time, all I hope for is good weather, so we are not all cooped up in the cabin for too long at a time.

Amanda_931

If you're going to get a hard freeze be sure and put RV type antifreeze (or alcohol--rubbing or drinking) in the washing machine run the pump until you see--or smell--the stuff starting to come out.

I've never owned a washing machine that drained completely, even if you laid the drain hose on the floor or ground.

And I wouldn't trust every hose, pump, or fitting in there to be completely frost-proof.

desdawg

You can live however you need to when you have a worthy goal such as yours. Sassy, I can relate. When I bought this home place here in the desert I only had $500 that I had saved. That was my down payment on the land. Then I bought an old 8' X 38' trailer, circa 1955 for $100 and started remodeling. That old trailer is still in the middle of my house! It was pretty tight quarters with no running water or electricity for quite a while. Slowly it evolved. Now I think I need to add on again. Then I think, no, I don't need another project. But I need more room, no, but, no but.........so I suppose I will eventually. In my case I extended my usable space with outbuildings.

glenn-k

Quotewalk about 120 ft down the trail to the outhouse - which at the time, I thought was wonderful - sure beat the little port-a-potty!  :P  
  :)
Yeah -- you were just using it--- I was carrying it and dumping it. :-?  You couldn't have been half as relieved as I was.  Come to think of it - I think we both relieved ourselves. :-/

desdawg

southernsis

I received the plans today. Now I can really get excited about building. We are going to stake the footprint tomorrow. We can't wait to get started. So be prepared for lots of questions. ;D

glenn-k

Sounds great, Southernsis...

Looking forward to hearing the questions.