roof covering if I have to wait on putting on a metal roof

Started by dablack, September 08, 2012, 08:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

I want to go with a standing seam metal roof but I'm going to have to put that off.  Is there something I could put on the roof decking that would shed water and keep it dry for six months?

thanks
Austin

Redoverfarm

Titanium Felt.  It is a synthetic underlayment.

http://www.interwrap.com/titanium/

Mine was exposed for about 8 months.  No water was ever found inside.  But you need to install it with cap nails per manufactures instructions.  With a 48" width you spend less time installing.  If there is a down side you need to install it from the top down so that it is not penetrated with roof jacks or walk boards mounting.  That is unless you are using a lift platform of some type.  I didn't have any problems starting at the top but it is a "two person" job to keep it taunt and aligned while installing.

dablack

ROF,

Thats what I was looking for.  I remembered there was a thread where someone had used it but I couldn't remember who thread it was. 

My only problem is making it a one person job.  I'm not sure now I'm going to do that. 

Also, which kind did you use?  WHen I click on the link, it has 3 or 4 kinds.

thanks
Austin

Redoverfarm

Quote from: dablack on September 10, 2012, 07:45:29 PM
ROF,

Thats what I was looking for.  I remembered there was a thread where someone had used it but I couldn't remember who thread it was. 

My only problem is making it a one person job.  I'm not sure now I'm going to do that. 

Also, which kind did you use?  WHen I click on the link, it has 3 or 4 kinds.

thanks
Austin

Austin I used the UDL 30.  I wouldn't say it couldn't be done by yourself but it is a lot easier with two people.  IMO it is definitely worth the extra cost vs felt.  In my case there was actually snow that laid on the roof for an extended time and it was unaffected.  It goes on fast and covers more than felt.  Maybe just bribe a family member for a couple hours to give you a hand. 

I just read another members thread and his felt probably has been on less than 30 days and is showing signs of failure.  I would be really worried to felt for 6-8 months.  But if I did it would be 30# and then I would wood strip and button nail as a last resort.

Alan Gage

I had no problem laying out synthetic felt by myself, from the bottom up. BUT, I have a relatively shallow (4/12) pitch roof so there was no need for roof jacks or toe boards to be nailed in. If yours is similar give it a go.

Alan

dablack

astidham

I used palisade under-lament on mine. I use some over windows in my shop for 2 years and it was still in great shape
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford