Curved porch T&G ceiling install

Started by Ernest T. Bass, December 06, 2010, 01:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernest T. Bass

Just finished this job.. Mid 20's was getting a little cold on the fingers.  ::) It was the trickiest ceiling I've ever done... But now that I'm happy with the way it turned out I can post pics..  ;D

It's a century-old house.. I don't know when the porch was added, but it never had a ceiling installed. It was an interesting piece of geometry to cover, as it has a decent slope to it (not so noticeable in the pics), as well as that nice curve..

Looking straight up at the curve. I made a jig for the table saw to cut the pie slices, which I then re-t&g'd with the router.

Compound miter corners with a low slope are tricky...

Just excited that it's done and wanted to share!

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

rdzone

Chuck

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

Awesome job!
How do you reckon they curved the carry beam?

Ernest T. Bass

Thanks! The beam is made up of laminated 3/4'' stock at the curve. I was trying to figure out if it was custom made... It almost seems like a prefabricated thing. It's a pretty perfect arc (which I was very thankful for), and there are mortised pockets underneath for the tops of the posts.

Working on an ancient house has been quite the new experience for me... Trying to get window trim and baseboard to look nice on walls that are all out of kilter, have been plastered and replastered and drywalled over in spots...  ::) On a slightly different note, next spring we will be knocking out a window and installing french doors out to the porch. The opening will need to be enlarged and a new header installed. This is a three story house and the doors are going in a load-bearing wall (parallel to the ridge of the roof). I was planing on setting up a temporary support wall a couple feet inside the house with a 2x4 plate wedged up against the ceiling and temporary studs while we re-framed the opening. Is this a smart plan?

Alasdair

Don_P

Yes that's the usual way, the closer to the load bearing wall the better but you gotta have room to work. Do prep them for plaster repair.
Note to self, I need to get my lead paint certs, the fines are enough to put me under faster than the lead ever would  ::)

Redoverfarm

Nice job Andrew.  I is always gratifing to do someting unusual.  Even more so to haved it turn out well.

PEG688

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

IronPatriotTN

Wow. Impressive work around that curve. That turned out really nice.  [cool]

Ernest T. Bass

Thanks guys! Only thing left to do is punch in a few vents.. That can wait 'till the weather warms up! Now we've got to button up our barn and stick a stove in there. We've got a Jersey due at the very inconvenient date of Dec. 16th..