Multi-phased 1 1/2 story home project in Austin, TX

Started by phalynx, February 11, 2007, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phalynx

Hahahah,,,  that IS a problem of naming a mancave...  Maybe it should be named something like, "Women are allowed but you can't touch the remote, or sit there, or ....."

MushCreek

Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

phalynx

With all of the bad weather, we have been slow going.  We did get 1 days worth of work yesterday.  Here are the progress pictures.

Redoverfarm

I think I would paint it all camoflauge for the assessor.  ;D

phalynx

Just an update.  Been doing a lot of cleanup around this place lately.  Using my new tool a lot removing stumps.  Look Glenn, I am just like you!!  Well, not so much, but I can dig a little deeper now..... for the underground fun later on.

We have decided to finally go ahead with our vineyard.  Its something we have been wanting to do for a while and finally decided to get started.  It will take 5 years to be in full production and hopefully, at that point, I'll be able to quit my job and work at the vineyard/winery full time here.   We'll see.

glenn kangiser

Hey Big Guy....

That is a beauty of a machine.  Congrats.  You're gonna love it.

You don't drink wine do you... [noidea'

I'm worried about your being able to manage the business for profit... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Don't think I can wait that long.  Better just buy a bottle and ship it to me. ;)  Got to have a name.  Better get suggestions.  

Unless I am a little mistaken don't you think that is a little too deep for graps vines.  d*

phalynx

I do drink wine here and there.  We'll be making wine over the next 5 years.  We just won't be able to use our grapes exclusively.  We'll have to purchase grapes from other vineyards to supplement. 

As for the tractor, we've had it for a few years.  We just added the backhoe to it and relegated it to backhoe duty primarily.  I upgraded to a little bigger machine to handle the rest of the jobs around here which seem to get bigger and bigger..  d*

Did I mention it gets hot in Texas?

umtallguy

this project still looking to come in around 5k?

phalynx

Which project?  I have about 5 running right now.

umtallguy

the current manshed you estimated a while back  d* i suppose I should have specified

phalynx

phalynx

Reconstructed the driveway today.  Made it straight down the middle of the property in preparation for the vineyard.

Jens

"I'll be able to quit my job and work at the vineyard/winery full time here.   We'll see."

What is your job BTW?  Did you ever finish the house proper?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

phalynx

Quote from: Jens on March 01, 2010, 07:12:33 PM

What is your job BTW?  Did you ever finish the house proper?

Would you believe a Microsoft Active Directory Architect in addition to a Enterprise Storage Architect.  IT guys have other talents....  would you believe it if I hadn't told you?

Jens

well, I used to install voice and data networks.  A friend of mine is a web developer, and has successfully renovated two houses of his own, and helped out on others, so, yes I would believe you.  Did the main house ever end up getting finished?  Last photo I remember seeing had the sheetrock hung but no mud.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

phalynx

Oh yea, go back about 10 pages.  All painted, carpeted, etc.  All good except a kitchen floor...

phalynx

Here are some pictures of our latest work on the "man cave".  Electrical stubbed, insulation going up, starting building the wine cellar, humidor, and bathroom.

phalynx

phalynx

What do you do when you want to move one of your buildings?  wrap a strap around it, attach it to a large tractor and PULL!!  We moved the "candle house" from behind the main house to just on the side.  This will give us the necessary room to build the rear porch/deck and put in a nice little garden area.

Then we ran the electrical from the candle house feed and splice it to run to the man cave.  From there I will run a feed to the candle house.

It was a long weekend.  The move did not go as initially planned.  After some rethinking, we managed to get it moved.  All in all, it was worth it.

phalynx

And for the one thing that I learned is best to sub out, drywall.  I have the same crew that finished up my drywall mess in the main house come back and drywall the mancave.  They do a great job and I haven't even broke a sweat.

fishing_guy

Quote from: phalynx on March 30, 2010, 01:32:50 PM
And for the one thing that I learned is best to sub out, drywall.  I have the same crew that finished up my drywall mess in the main house come back and drywall the mancave.  They do a great job and I haven't even broke a sweat.

I was thinking professionals until I saw this picture.  I was always taught to start on one wall and "Hold 'em tight".  But I guess they knew what they were doing.  You are right, it is a lot easier to farm out that portion.  I did it a few summers in high school, enough to know it was not to be my chosen profession.  I have done it a few times since then, enough to reinforce my initial decision. 
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

phalynx

I wouldn't have thought it would have worked either.  I can tell you these guys are good.  I always thought you had to sand your mud to get it smooth.  They just smiled and said, no, you thin the mud a little.  They did the house and you couldn't find a joint if you wanted to.  I wouldn't have done it the way they did on the ceiling, but I would have left joint marks so I can't question them . d*

phalynx

Progress, progress, progress.  Man, stuff happens fast when you don't have to do it yourself.

fishing_guy

Nice...

I used to hate the stilts.  Lucky thing is that I'm 6'1.  I could reach most from the ground.  My dad used to hate me when he was walking around on the stilts.

The taping goes surprisingly fast, especially when you're not doing it.  We impressed many homeowners...even when we were taking it easy.

Nice job!
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.