Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

No light boxes etc. thank goodness. I think my biggest problem is trying to be too perfect with the fitting. Even with gaps the rock looks pretty good. That and too many distractions.

csiebert

Yo Dude?  There are a bunch of us lurkers out here dying for the latest pictures!!
The suspense is killing me!  ;D

ScottA

Pics tomorrow. Maybe. I hope.  d*

considerations

That looks really good....you're giving me more ideas about my own place.....uh oh.

Redoverfarm

Scott I forgot to mention that when you grout find yourself a Horsehair or natural bristle paint brush and after it has set just brush away the lines and excess to give you a nice finish.

ScottA

The stone is all up I just need to grout around the door in the morning then it's back to siding for a few days.

markert2523

Hey, ScottA

Seems like our siding source is out of siding.  Hopefully only temporary, but got me to thinking that I need to buy all the cedar boards I need at one time when I get around to my siding.  I would hate to get halfway in to the process and Lowes decides to change vendors for siding.

Was wondering what lengths you bought.  Did you stick to the 8' or get longer sticks?  Seems like the longer they are, the harder it is to get good ones.

Eric

ScottA

I bought all different lengths depending on where they where going so as to reduce waste. Mostly 8s 10s and 12s. You might try a different store.

ScottA

Stone work done for now. I'll do the piers at a later date when I have more time. I put the rest of the stone back in the boxes and stored them under the house for now. I started cutting the rest of the cedar siding today. I hope to have that done in a few days. I just need to do the last 2 small walls.

Sorry the pic looks washed out. The sun was really bright today.

Redoverfarm

Good job Scott.  Be interesting to see how the cedar looks when it meets the stone.  Should contrast with it very well in comparison with the post .  Are you satisfied with the appearance?  Are you satisfied with the craftsmanship? Don't be too hard on your self.   Truthfully on a scale of 1-10 how difficult was it?  Overall I mean.  It was a 10 to begin with and about a 3 at the end.  ;)  Looks as good as most contractors.

ScottA

I think it looks good John. My wife loves it. It does make a nice contrast to the cedar. I'm glad you suggested it. I wouldn't say it was hard just time consuming. Lots of time spent figuring out how to fit the stones together, unpacking crates and scattering hundreds of stones out on the deck to look at etc. By the way, I didn't cut a single stone. I was able to find a fit for every hole. It helped that I had extra stone. I'm sure when I do the piers I'll need to cut a few though. I did sneak a few small natural rocks in to the wall as well. Can you spot them? the wife says they make it look more natural to the site. I picked this stone veneer because it's a close match to the native stone found in this area.

ScottA

A little better pic of the veranda wall with part of the siding done.

Sassy

Looks great, Scott - you've done a wonderful job!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

secordpd

Scott,     What a wonderful job along the edge where it meets the wood.  Your very talented.  Are the natural stones more grey?  I see a few that may be different..........  But I really love the wood/stone look, it so down to earth but elegant looking,  I'm envious....  

I'm itching to get going on my project, I just saw on the news  Boston only had 7 'mostly sunny days in 55 day!!!   I'm so sick of rain, the ground is soaked hopefully I can start digging the footings in a few days..... my water table is high here, and don't want to hit water 2 ft down, when I got to go 4'!!!     Helen
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford       Just call me grasshopper Master Po.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

ScottA

Thanks for all the kind words.

I painted the round window this week with 2 coats of oil based enamel and started the siding on that wall. It will be slow due the tricky cuts envolved but my goal is to finish by the 4th.

After some debate and sugestions by friends in the business we've decided against using wood on the cieling. The opinion is it would make the interior too dark. Instead I will use 5/8" sheetrock with a hand textue to make it look like plaster and will be painted white.

The trusses will be stained a dark color.

The walls will be a combo of mahogany paneling with a 2' sheetrock border at the top and divided with trim pieces.

Cabinets will be birtch. Kitchen backsplash will be tile and countertops will be concrete possibly stained. I'll do some mockups to decide this. If you have a suggestion I'd love to hear it. Still undecided on the bathroom walls and cieling, the floor will be tile.

I couldn't make a round cieling work in the loft due to not enough headroom. Would have been nice but should have been planed sooner in the process. oh well.

Whitlock

Lookin good Scott I love the wood stone combo.
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

ScottA

I haven't discussed it much but I've been having adventures getting water. I thought I'd share so others who are building or planning to build can see some of the issues you might encounter.

First some background. our property fronts on 2 roads. One is a state hiway and the other is a county road. There are rural water mains on both roads. So far so good I should be able to get water no problem. Atleast thats what I thought when I started this project. Before I built anything I called the water company and asked about getting water. They said they where in the process of upgrading some lines in the area and could not give me a meter at that time but expected they would be able to in about a year. I figure thats ok since I'm planning on a 2 year build anyway.

A year and a half later they finaly tell me I can get a meter. I ask how much and the guy tells me $750. Great I said. But he tells me the septic must be in first so I put it in. I call again and tell him the septic is in and he says ok bring the check. I get to their office show him where I am on the map and he starts backpedding. I had told him exactly where I was on the phone and he said he knew where it was and no problem.

Well turns out the mains are both across the roads from our land. I knew this already and he had to know as well. Now all the sudden it's my problem to get across the road. No mention of this before. Well getting across the state hiway is a non-starter since they have so many regs it would take a lawyer, engineer, permits, reviews, meetings, tons of extra crap to protect the hiway etc. So that left the county road. All I need for this is a permit but it's on the far end of my property so I've got to run a long ways to get there. Anyway I've got a contractor coming in the AM to give me a bid to cross the county road. I'll do the rest myself. All this will cost close to half the price of the cabin. Fun.

rick91351

Scott is there any reason you can not get a permit for a well?  Seem cheaper than this hassle and hustle.  But then I am sure you thought of that already!

rlr 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

ScottA

A well has always been an option however we would rather have the rural water. Also my brother is building a cabin next door and this line will also serve his house and I may build another cabin later on so it's for sure cheaper than drilling 2 or 3 wells. My brother will be paying about 40% of the cost of this so my cost will be about the same as a well when it's all said and done. I just think it's BS that the water company dumped the road crossing cost on me with no warning.

ScottA

Siding finished, time to celebrate!  8)

Sassy

Wow!  That looks gorgeous!   8)

Sorry to hear about all the hassles with the water... 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

diyfrank

Very sharp Scott.  Everything came together nicely.

Too bad they won't let you run your service yourself.
Any idea what type pipe is in used on the county road?
They will most likely pothole and holehog it.
Home is where you make it