Roofing Tar on Posts in Ground

Started by alex trent, November 04, 2012, 07:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex trent

I have no access to PT.  Use borate and then zinc-naptha on post that must be in ground.

Would coating them with roofing tar before burial work to protect them. Seems like be hard for anything living to penetrate that gunk and attack the wood...still would treat the wood.

Redoverfarm

That used to be the norm but they found out that the tar actually holds moisture in the wood.  The key is make it so the water does not stand against the post.

You might consider something like these.  But the tops need to be shielded from the rain.  Most likely they will be under a floor so that shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.plasti-sleeve.com/

alex trent

Thanks.

Great stuff.  Some borate on the post and then this.  Save the pier work and also the cost of the Simpson connector and all the issues with the pier/post connection strength.

I am getting prices...looks like about 20 bucks for a 6x6x 4 foot sleeve.

alex trent

20 bucks each for 6x6 x 5 feet. Very reasonable considering what they replace and the other benefits.

HD stocks another brand and next time up in the staes I am going to have a close look.

MountainDon

I've seen tar used to coat the post at ground level; 6 - 10 inches above and below grade where rot and insect damage frequently occurs.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.