Propane regulator... upright or sideways?

Started by NM_Shooter, August 31, 2010, 06:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I have an RV dual tank propane regulator that I am planning on using for the cabin.  Can the regulator be mounted such that the outflow port is horizontal, rather than vertically positioned in the "down" position?  My tanks will be vertical, but I'm considering mounting the regulator "sideways".
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

I've always read that the output fitting faces down, an input on each left and right. I believe there is a vent hole someplace that also faces down and that is the reason. At least that is what is rattling around inside my head; no guarantees on if it's correct.  If the reason is to keep the vent pointed down where dirt and water would not be able to enter with any ease, perhaps a good cover over the regulator will offer the protection.   ???

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

The vent on the regulator should point down. Thats the only thing you need to worry about.

MountainDon

A check on my Marshall Brass info finds they state the vent should point down, or within 45 degrees of down. They are talking about an installation on an RV and mention potential problems with dirt and road debris settling in a vent unless it is mounted with the vent down or nearly so. They go on to state that if the unit is properly covered and weather protected it may be mounted in any position.  :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Okay....mounted with the outlet down....

Another question...

For all vertically mounted sections of 1/2" black gas pipe... should I install a trap at the bottom of each one?  Or do I just need one trap at the bottom of the vertical pipe closest to the regulator? 

MountainDon

I was told just at the start, under the regulator like mine. IIRC, t's to catch any liquid propane if any should somehow make it past the regulator. Three inch nipple I think.   That also proved to be handy when I decided to install the propane wall heater in a different location and had to run pipe. I attached at that drop with a tee and just moved the drop down a couple inches.

Redoverfarm

I believe there should be a drip pipe at every drop you have.  Everything else could be working properly except the last in the line.  Anyway thats what I did. 

MountainDon

Thanks John. You made me do some homework....  ;)      "A condensation catching drip leg must also be present near any fixed gas appliance like a furnace or water heater."  

near   ???

Everything in our cabin is near everything else.   ::)    ;D

Shawn B

In the States that I have installed gas pipe most inspectors liked the drip leg to be within 3 feet of the appliance. Also if it is possible put the drip leg downstream of the shut off valve for each appliance. That way they can be cleaned out without shutting down the whole gas service. In your situation NM I would simply install a longer drip leg right when the pipe turns up or similar.
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

NM_Shooter

Hmmmm... I am planning on using the 1/2" black pipe and then transitioning to the 3/8 copper right off the black pipe. 

I have two copper lines that will come off the very end of the pipe.  I was planning on using a single Tee at the end to do this, but now I am not so sure...

Oddly, my camper does not have drip traps anywhere that I can see. 

MountainDon

That's because the RV manufacturers follow the RVIA rules and home builders follow the IRC/UBC/IBC.

Maybe that goes to show it's not all that critical one way or the other?  ???   

You and I have hybrids, BTW.    ;D

EDIT: this thread was recently commented on..... Note current residential regulations only require a drip or sediment leg be used near as possible to the connection to a furnace or a water heater. There is no harm in placement near other appliances but the national rules do not specify. Local rules can vary and should be consulted.   RV's are still under their own rules and have no requirements for drip / sediment legs anywhere.