Have 20'x20' turning into prob 20'x40' needs help with floor plans...

Started by rhondadowell, August 09, 2010, 12:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhondadowell

Okay so my in-laws have a 20'x20' building we would like to expand into most likely a 20'40' and would really like to get 3 decent sized bedrooms, room for washer and dryer, decent kitchen probably overlooking living room with a bar that connects living to kitchen. Probably no dinning room; would just eat at the bar. Also would need a decent sized bathroom. Trying to be as space efficient as possible. Would like plan to be as "open" as possible but also take into consideration where the previous 20'x20' walls were and try to utilize then as much as possible... trying to spend as little as possible. Would greatly appreciate anyones help!

bayview

Ok. . .   Here you go . . .

The original 20X20 will consist of two bedrooms, bath and kitchen.   Add-on includes living, dining a third bedroom with a utility room.   A porch on the front will help break-up the large expanse of an exterior wall.

I know you said eating bar - but I included a dining room.   

Kitchen with full size refrigerator, stove and double sink.

Bathroom with corner shower.   Utility room with full size washer and dryer, a utility cabinet would house a water heater.   Furnace is located in attic. . .

Two decent size bedrooms with queen beds and closets.

The smaller bedroom on the right could be a child's room with bunk beds.   Space in front of the bed for playing . . .

The living room with a hide-a-bed and TV console.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

John Raabe

Nice job Bayview! Lots of useful spaces.

If the third bedroom was not needed you could turn the Galley wall into storage w/W&D and then use the entire right hand 20x20 module as a Great Room with a larger open kitchen (probably U-shaped).
None of us are as smart as all of us.

rhondadowell

That floorplan is really nice.... we have 2 kids (1 boy and 1 girl) so def need 3 bedrooms... would like to have full bathtub... our son is special needs and hates showers, plus it would be too hard to shower him in a corner shower.... also the door to the original 20'x20' is in the center... not sure how hard that would be to repostion... my husband is at work right now so can't ask him about it but will defanitly show him in the morning when he gets home... Thanks so much for the feedback.... look forward to seeing some other possible options...

bayview

With 800 sq. ft. its going to be "give and take".    If you need more room for bath, then something is going to have to "give" so you can "take" some additional sq. ft. from somewhere else.   (Get a tub for the bath - lose kitchen or closet space)

Making hallways do more than one function is going to be the most effective for you. . .    Such as, the galley kitchen in a hallway . . .

As John had suggested.    I would use the original 20'X20' for a great room and then add on to that.   To get what you require you may need more square footage.   The 20' width is a drawback.

Doors and windows can be relocated if there isn't any to much interior work.   (Drywall)

Good luck!

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

bayview

325ABN

WHat is the program you used to do this design and where can I find it?

JRR

Nice floorplans.  I prefer exterior doors and bathroom doors that open outward ... stoops would be required for outward exterior doors.  3 bedrooms are poorly served by one bathroom ... an additional half-bath would be nice.

If there is to be a separate garage or utility building ... I would consider relocating washing/drying/ironing to that location.  That way a space can be dedicated to those functions and the space doesn't have to be put back in order to recieve guests or such.  Depends on preferences.

bayview

Quote from: JRR on August 11, 2010, 08:29:48 AM
Nice floorplans.  I prefer exterior doors and bathroom doors that open outward ... stoops would be required for outward exterior doors.  3 bedrooms are poorly served by one bathroom ... an additional half-bath would be nice.

If there is to be a separate garage or utility building ... I would consider relocating washing/drying/ironing to that location.  That way a space can be dedicated to those functions and the space doesn't have to be put back in order to recieve guests or such.  Depends on preferences.

I agree with you that 3 bedrooms should have more than 1 bath.   But . . .    

- rhondadowell has a unique situation with a 20'X20' building on property. . .    They want to add an additional 20'X20' for a total of 800 ft.   They have a special needs child that needs a tub - not a shower.   And the current building has a door right in the center.

They are wanting 3 bedrooms, washer and dryer, large kitchen, a dining room is not necessary, but maybe an eating bar. . .    Hopefully an open floor plan. . .

Maybe you can add a floor plan of your own!

/

bayview

Quote from: 325ABN on August 11, 2010, 06:53:19 AM
WHat is the program you used to do this design and where can I find it?

I am using an antique 3D Home Architect Deluxe Version 2.1 that I had installed in 1997.   It has made its way with me through 5 computers.   One desktop and four laptops. . .

/

John Raabe

Very nice help you are doing for free here Bayview.  :D :D :D

You have evolved a pretty good solution to the owner's needs. I appreciate your work with the old 3DHA! (our tutorial). tip: A member recently found inexpensive copies of 3DHA ver 3.0 deluxe on Amazon.

For what it's worth: Most all doors normally swing inwards - this is especially true for exterior doors because of security (access to hinges), weatherstripping and weather protection.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

bayview

Quote from: John Raabe on August 11, 2010, 04:26:40 PM
Very nice help you are doing for free here Bayview.  

Free!   Wait till they receive my bill . . .     ;D

It helps pass the time . . .    While I am sitting here with an ailing friend.   (emphysema)  Don't smoke.

/

JRR

Quote from: bayview on August 11, 2010, 02:25:56 PM

Ouch!  But I deserved it. I didn't intend to be critical ... only offering ideas.  Even if I had your computer skills, I still would not have your creativity.  Those are "Nice floorplans".

Doors are a "pet peeve" of mine.  I live in a house that I did not design.  It has three bathrooms and three exterior doors ... all open inward.  The smallest bathroom is particular troublesome as I get older and don't move as well.  As the door swings inward, it barely clears the throne ... you must step fully inside ... reclose the door, then approach the throne.   I find some public toilets have the same clearance issue.  I know it would be especially difficult for a wheel chair user.  A outward swinging door would often be a better solution.  I intend to change that one bathroom door if I live here much longer.

'Exterior doors are more secure if they swing inward because the hinges are hidden.'  A joke I believe.  Apparently many felons feel the same.  My daughter's house was recently burglarized while she was at work ... Bubba just put the number twelve against the inward-swinging door, the sill splintered and he helped himself.  A recent tv program discussed this issue ..  showed how even expensive well-built hi-end houses, with the mandated inward swinging doors, are no challange for the determined and skilled plunderer.  One participating ex-buglar demonstrated his rig of a hydraulic post jack that he used to (quietly) spread the door jambs apart until the latches were all free.  Not even a fortress would slow this guy up!  (Gee, maybe an outward opening door might cover the opening and be a small problem for him!)

bayview

Quote from: JRR on August 11, 2010, 07:03:24 PM
Quote from: bayview on August 11, 2010, 02:25:56 PM

Ouch!  But I deserved it. I didn't intend to be critical ... only offering ideas.  Even if I had your computer skills, I still would not have your creativity.  Those are "Nice floorplans".

That was not my intentions at all . . .    I know that you have good ideas and was wondering how you would place the various rooms.

We have yet to build our home.   So, I'm very interested in other peoples ideas.

/

diyfrank

Quote from: John Raabe on August 11, 2010, 04:26:40 PM
For what it's worth: Most all doors normally swing inwards - this is especially true for exterior doors because of security (access to hinges), weatherstripping and weather protection.

You know, I've always thought doors swing inward to prevent knocking someone off your porch when answering the door. :o
Home is where you make it

rhondadowell

Thanks again Bayview!!! Love the 2nd one as well!! My husband thinks that we may be able to get by with a corner shower like your first plan showed... it'll be a little difficult but we could manage... 

JRR

I need to get back on my medicine!

rhondadowell; You may have compelling reasons to stick with the 20' span ... usually the easiest ... but if the house is to be single-storey, and the site allows ...you might have some reasonable options with 24' or other length widths.  Would give you different exterior looks, also.  The expansion could be centered, or offset, to the original building.

rhondadowell

Quote from: JRR on August 12, 2010, 08:26:41 AM
You may have compelling reasons to stick with the 20' span ... usually the easiest ... but if the house is to be single-storey, and the site allows ...you might have some reasonable options with 24' or other length widths.  Would give you different exterior looks, also.  The expansion could be centered, or offset, to the original building.

ah, yes... I have mentioned the idea to my husband and came up with a simple floor plan for him (didn't include how much space the walls would take up) but he keeps ignoring that idea and keeps pushing for 20'40' plans... I guess to just make it easier on himself... he will be doing it all on his own with some assistance from me so my guess is the easiest and cheapest route will be the one he will decide on... Thank you though for your thoughts on the matter!

Still would like to see some more ideas on the floor plans, although that last one from Bayview is looking pretty good ;D

bayview

- The original 20X20 building is in "gray".
  - Two 14X18's added on . . .   For a total sq ft of 904.
   - "Open floor plan"

- (A)   Living Room w/built-in cabinets for storage and television
  - (B)   Full size dining table for 6 people w/sliding door to rear of home
  - (C)   Large kitchen w/full size oven and refrig.   Bonus - Dishwasher
  - (D)   Stacked washer and dryer
  - (E)   KING SIZE BEDROOM! - Privacy suite!
  - (F)   WALK-IN CLOSET!
  - (G)   Second bedroom - large enough for queen bed
  - (H)   Third bedroom - Single bed or Bunks.   Large enough for play area or desk.
  - (P)   Location where the following "picture" was taken.

Well, that's it for me!    Thanks for the mental work out . . .

/

JRR

I have a later version of that same graphics package ... think I installed it once.  I need a seminar to begin to understand.  Back to grid paper and pencil for me.

Another thought from the old man:  What if the new construction and the original building were separated by a breezeway, of up to 16' (reasonable joist lengths) .... the breezeway could be a simple deck and roof, or more enclosed depending on climate needs.  Now a "dogtrot" arrangement ... one building could be for services (eating, dining, etc) ... the other building would be the quieter of the two (bedrooms, studies, etc).  The breezeway, though enclosed perhaps ... would certainly be very "open" ... could have grills, plants, exercise equipment, etc.  The breezeway could be the main entrance to the whole complex and would have covered entrance doors to both main areas.  It could be very simple in original construction and investment and be developed at a later time.  One continious roof line could be used to cover all.

grandpixel

I also am looking for 20x40 floor plans. The ones provided are very nice, I like how the hallways double as kitchen / laundry space. I would like to see more if possible. I haven't decided if I want more smaller spaces, or less larger spaces.