My excellent Mexican Adventure

Started by John Raabe, February 02, 2008, 12:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

The sun was great, the weather was great, and the people (for the most part) were really great.

We stayed in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. One week in a Sea Garden resort - it wasn't as rough an adjustment to faux luxury as I expected! ;) - ie watching the sunset on the beach with a fresh margarita from the pool bar. :D :D 8).

But the most fun was staying in the old part of town. There was a great outside cafe, "A page in the Sun" with free WiFi and great smoothies, salads and sandwiches. It is also a used English bookstore. Right down the street is the Andale bar and restaurant with great food and fun, fun, fun, all night long (or at least longer than I can last). Upstairs are some cool inexpensive rooms with brick and tile interiors and a metal stairway up to a roof deck over the old city. We stayed there three nights.

Here is a shot of one of the sand sculptures that were seasonally appropriate art projects on the beach. You can walk the beach for miles and the boardwalk metal sculptures are also quite a treat.

Architecturally the most interesting was a boat trip to the south end of Banderas Bay to the little beach town of Yelapa. We took a short hike up a steep valley to a watherfall. Here's a couple of shots along the trail.

Simple owner-built house working with the natural rocks and terrain.

Below, a low-key restaurant at the waterfall.

All in all, a great trip. I'd love to spend more time in Mexico. Do you have any favorite spots?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

John Raabe

Here's some suggestions from Glenn:

Copper Canyon (Barranca Del Cobre) Creel to Batopilas.  You can ride the Chihuahua Al Pacifico to Creel from El Fuerte or Los Mochis if you want for a real adventure.

Bus to Batopilas or Taxi for more money - a couple runs per week.  Check out the Tarahumara (Raramuri).
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Wow, John... looks like a lot of fun...  makes me want to go.  Everything looks so nice and warm.  My husband saw the pictures and has decided that we need to go to Mexico. 

Sassy

Looks like fun, John... been awhile since we've been down to Mexico...  had a lot of great adventures & fun there  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Hmm. We've been to Puerto Vallarta a few years back. That bar in the pool looks familiar  ??? , but then maybe all the hotel/resort pools have such bars?

Copper Canyon is an excellent trip.

And Baja makes for good 4x4 trips, or at least used to, a decade or so back.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Tourist anymore don't always make it back from Baja.  Banditos make some of them dead.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

So I have heard... and we can't take our guns with us.  >:(
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Willy

Quote from: MountainDon on February 02, 2008, 03:43:46 PM
So I have heard... and we can't take our guns with us.  >:(
My last trip in Mexico I was allmost stranded in a Taxi! I was with my now wife and we had wanted to go back to the border to go home. The driver picked up another mexican and started talking in spanish. I mention I normaly carry a 44 mag and that is when they asked if I had it now. I told them no but they wanted to see it? It cost a lot more and a lot longer drive to get back and we were worried to say the least! I was glad to get back into the USA and haven't retured since. Mark

desdawg

I traipse into Mexico upon occassion and usually enjoy myself. I have been to Puerto Penasco a few times and camped on the beach. The fresh shrimp are great and at one time we took a little harbor cruise and got close to some dolphins. Pretty neat. Now I will have to get a passport if I want to go again.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Sassy

A few years ago, after working in the clinic, we were flying back from Mexico along the mainland side of Baja.  We had a reporter & photographer from Channel 24 News with us (and my 16 y/o son).  There were huge schools of dolphins along the way - I'd say 50-100 at least.  Glenn flew fairly low to the water & they seemed to be following us.  We got a lot of pix - regular cameras & video...  the water was just churning - pretty neat  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

tanya

Now that is a much better climate than northern US.  It looks warm and wonderful.  I am sick of the cold weather for good!!!
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.