beginnings of a 16x32 cabin(10/30 update)

Started by mikelopic, September 19, 2007, 09:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikelopic

some progress....

MountainDon

Cool. Lots of temp bracing too. Good to see.

Is that unsheathed flooring section going to be covered, decked or... ?? Just wondering about the floor level transition.  :-/

MountainDon

Mike, maybe it's the camera angle, but the birds mouth cut in the last photo appears to be too deep.

If you measure across the width of the rafter the amount cut out generally should not exceed 1/3 the working width (building line) of the rafter. Measured like this...

If the cut is more than 1/3 the rafter strength is derated; the allowable span reduced.

MountainDon

Hmmmm.  :-/

My reference book is Wagner's House Framing , © 1998. http://www.countryplans.com/books.html
He clearly states 1/3 maximum, measured as indicated in the picture.   :-/

Another reference I use a lot is the online calculator at  http://www.blocklayer.com/Roof/GableEng.aspx
It always comes up with a >1/3 warning if your values will leave less than 2/3 working width.

There's no real point in making the seat cuts wider than the wall plate it will sit on. That actually weakens the rafter. It doesn't need to be the full 5 1/2" either, if that means the heel or vertical cut required to accommodate the wider seat/foot cut eats up more than 1/3 the width.

peg_688

IMO they are to deep , like Mtn D has pointed out you've only weaken the rafter tail and having the seat cut extend inside serves no purpose.

Having the heel cut ,line up with the inner walls plate can be nice if your cieling is  vaulted. But sticking in, in the case of a vault would be a problem.

If it where mine I'd reduce that depth of seat cut to look like Mtn D's post.  

It MTL will be OK as you have it , the pitch looks to be  6 in 12 maybe 7 in 12 so IF your soffit overhang was say 18" and your not in a big snow load area they MIGHT be fine.

If your looking for a 2' overhang and live where snow  load and ice damming potential is high I'd deffentally change them.

mikelopic

Thanks for your construction criticism :)  
 I am doing this once , so might as well do it right ,plus I didnt cut 60 rafters yet.   It is a 8/12 pitch with a 2' overhang . and I didnt think about the vaulted cieling also, thanks.

peg_688

Thanks for your construction criticism :)  

Yer welcome , BUT I'd not call it criticism , I'd call it guidance , or maybe opinion based on 30 plus years of day to day builders experience. Criticism by most peoples difinition and by Funk and Wagnalls = a severe  and unfavorable judgement, which was , I think  :-/YMMV , clearly not my intent.  :'(

BTW I thought it was a 8 in 12 , but thought a DIYer wouldn't build that steep, you'll need toe boards  to sheet that roof and roof jacks to shingle it.  A sure footed carpenter or roofer would also want them on a 8 in 12 if he'd be on it any lenght of time.

G/L PEG  

glenn-k

QuoteA sure footed carpenter or roofer would also want them on a 8 in 12 if he'd be on it any length of time.  

Good thing I'm a steel guy.  I did my 12/12 garage with just a forklift with a pallet at the bottom to catch me if I slid off. :-/

OK -- I did put up staging on the side where I couldn't get the forklift -- and hung my ladder over the top w/ the top section folded 90 degrees over the other side.

I felt safe though. :)

hobbiest

Second one definitely looks much better.  I have known a lot of houses that have had no problem with 2x4 rafters cut over 1/3, but they are always old growth lumber too.  Vaulted ceiling doesn't make difference though, as you just lift the top sheet of wall rock higher (back bevel the top edge to meet up nice with the lid), and then have a small gap left at the floor.  BTW PEG, your post about roof pitch reminds me of the rip/relay on my friends house.  7 1/2 in 12 (old house), two story at the driveway side, no jacks, brackets, staging, just lack of sense!  Yeah, when you're young, and invincible...  Now I'm in New England, and the roofs (though I try to stay away from roofing) are all 8 and up!  I'd only ever used roof brackets before when sheeting a roof in winter.  Glad to have them too!  I was melting the ice off, carefully carving a path up to our plywood, turned the burner off and set it on the stack and made my way back down.  As soon as I took one step, I hit the invisible melt-off that had frozen again and went down hard!  stopped at the roof bracket with a 2x6 in it.  Ok, enough war stories..."yeah, just me.  Me and J.C."  as an old friend used to say. ;)

mikelopic

Some more progress this weekend

!

hobbiest

If I could make a suggestion...before you sheath the walls, put some 1/2" foam in the header's empty space.  This will help a bit with cold spots, and make a fairly solid surface, as opposed to a hollow one.  Looking good though!  You have a great view there too.

hobbiest

BTW, where is the cabin?  Looks to rural for the island, I thought it was all taken up by now.

mikelopic

good idea...   We are building upstate Ny in Deposit. thanks..

mikelopic

We started to sheath the roof this weekend,We pulled each sheet up with a rope attached to an atv. worked great, we also finished the porch rafters.soon we will closed in for the winter ,and resume in the spring. thanks for looking

ooking.

MountainDon

I looked at all the other pictures on Photbucket too. Looking good Mike. Does that lifting hook pass through a drilled hole?? Did you find that method to work well?

mikelopic

Yes , I drilled a 3/8" hole about 1 " from the top.and slowly pulled the osb up. very easy and safe ,I was able to concentate on the 8/12 pitch, without balancing a 4by 8 sheet of osb also. The holes lined up with the rafters,which was not planned, just happened.The front will be even easier with the porch roof to walk on.Peg said an 8/12 roof is steep for a DIYer,and was right,without the roof brackets , I would of been lookin up all weekend. Thanks

Preston

Mike, I think that If I had an ATV on my property while building I would take a break that wouldn't end for awhile! ::) ;D

It's looking great by the way!

mikelopic

MountainDon

I see you're using that new vinyl roofing. Pretty color.

;D ;D ;D

Seriously, I'll bet your happy to be getting along with the work!

Sassy

Looking good!  I love that type of porch - nice place to sit & relax...  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

C.White

Your construction site looks so nice and neat.  That is a very significant difference with the way you do the foundation I guess.  Very pretty setting.
Christina