Built in Beds?

Started by RoxyRocks, September 01, 2007, 01:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoxyRocks

I was curious if anyone has done a built in bed or knows of any good info on them. I have been looking for info on them & pics but I am really not finding any >:(

PEG688

Rox's you talking Murphy beds <

Hardware link : http://www.murphybeds.com/hardwareKits.asp

Quality hardware is expensive , cheap hardware is more expensive when you redo the bed due to failure of said "cheap" hardware.

:-/

Or built in as ,  

As in can't be moved , attached to the building??
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

RoxyRocks

Neither....

I have only seen a few of them they are physical built in like almost a window seat and sometimes have booksleves on the ends of them. I have seen them mostly with twins beds and in childrens room.

Mark_Chenail

I think roxy is looking for what the europeans call a cupboard bed.  These are particularly common in rural France and Scandanavia.
I really like these beds as they save all kinds of space and provide storage and you can just shut the doors or curtains and no one knows the bed is unmade.  I have a couple of them designed into my house in Missouri and I use them in my house designs all the time.  Here's a couple of examples:

mark chenail

ailsaek

QuoteI think roxy is looking for what the europeans call a cupboard bed.  These are particularly common in rural France and Scandanavia.
I really like these beds as they save all kinds of space and provide storage and you can just shut the doors or curtains and no one knows the bed is unmade.  I have a couple of them designed into my house in Missouri and I use them in my house designs all the time.  

Darn, Mark, those are gorgeous.  Can I join your fan club?

RoxyRocks

OHHHH YES THOSE ARE IT!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

I am soooo in love with these beds I cant even tell you! Has anyone ever done these? Thanks so much for the great pics

mark_chenail

They arent hard to build.  You need an alcove the right size or a narrow room.  When I plan a builtin like this, I figure about 7 feet of length to accommodate the mattress and bedclothes.  You can make them as wide as you like, from single to queen sized.  The simplest way is to just frame a platform with 2x6 and plywood. I put a decorative front piece on to keep the mattress from sliding.
You can use kitchen cabinets for the drawers underneath if you want the bed high off the ground or build your own casework.  Or you can go really simple and just put two big doors under the bed and use it for storage of bulky items.  Ive seen them with just curtains to hide the storage underneath.    They can also be multilevel like bunk beds if you have enough headroom and you can also put a pull out trundle bed on wheels in the space underneath for more sleeping room.  All kinds of variations, but they are all basically just a big shelf in a niche.

tanya

Those are really special beds and I was thinking about just having a screened off area for my bed but now I know I am going to build one of these types I think that the smaller space will also make it easier to heat.  I think just the bed with a nice heavy curtain and a couple of oil lamps will stay nice and toasty warm.  I will put drawers underneath and save dresser space and maybe even put a nice big mirror on one end or on the back side so I can look presentable if I ever get out of bed.  I could live in one of those if I could get meals delivered.  Now I must scheme some more....  

mark_chenail

you could install a small fridge, a microwave and a water tap behind the mirror door at the foot of the bed, below the flat screen tv. ;) ;)