Concrete Piers Bracing

Started by PHU, May 22, 2014, 01:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHU

OK, Here's my situation....How do you brace concrete piers?

Here's my first attempt? Thoughts? ideas?

THX!

Redoverfarm

Rather elaborate and maybe just a little overkill.  I would brace from the beam to the post with 45 deg braces.  When you set your forms. sonotubes or what ever allow for a couple piece of ready rod through and allow them to protrude 6-8" on either side ( dedpending on the thickness of material).  Meaning if you use 4X4's.  If you want to use 2X material with them mounted on either the face or back side  then push the rods through from front to back.

If you use 4X4's you can bolt them up to the ready rod about 4" -6" apart to catch the meaty portion of the wood.  Where it attaches to the beam if they do not pass on the face to attach then you can use lag's up into the beam from the 4X4's.   

Not sure of your pier spacing so the amount to either side would be dependent on that.  Others may have a better mouse trap. ;D

hpinson

I have to wonder about the durability of wood used for this application. Maybe if it were treated? Maybe steel strapping?

Don_P

Here's one I had drawn awhile ago.  J bolts protruding from the sonotube, treated 2x's bolted on later and a wall with studs on 2' centers built between piers, covered with treated ply sheathing. The sheathing forms the bracing, the framing keeps the sheathing in plane when under load.

You could also run rebar from pier to pier, form and pour these curtain wall sections 4" thick. If the perimeter is well braced the midline of piers does not need bracing

Redoverfarm

Quote from: hpinson on May 22, 2014, 04:32:33 PM
I have to wonder about the durability of wood used for this application. Maybe if it were treated? Maybe steel strapping?

Most definitely pressure treated.  Could also use 2" (1/4" - 3/8") angle iron. 

Adam Roby

Another concern with such elaborate bracing would be access.  How do you get under there if you need to.  Having a removable section to gain access might be something to consider.  (Maybe a hatch from inside?)

MountainDon

The thing I like about the shear walls is that with proper planning they can serve as the skirting, or a base for better looking skirting than the plywood. And there is no doubt in my mind that shear walls are stronger than any of the usual 2x bracing we see.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

Exactly, the walls are taking the lateral load rather than the bolts, the bolts are just holding the rigid walls between the piers. Tarpaper, lath wire and a couple of coats of stucco and it'd look good as well. You could easily form and pour square piers or use parged flue blocks with the walls in between and it would make a pretty nice looking foundation.