Author Topic: The Rebuild 26x52 two story  (Read 20952 times)

Offline dablack

• Rusk TX
Re: The Rebuild 26x52 two story
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2017, 04:42:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  I really enjoyed learning the brick work.  The first column (way on the end) isn't the best but it is ok.  The rest of them are pretty good.  I'm still slow as Christmas when doing brick work, but I enjoy it. 

If it doesn't rain too much this weekend, I will be putting up 1x boards as the porch roof deck.  It will be visible from below so I didn't want OSB or plywood. 

Austin

Offline dablack

• Rusk TX
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2017, 09:45:42 AM »
OK!  So, the porch is mostly done and I've started on the hardie board siding.  It is going up really well and I didn't have to buy a siding gun.  My framer is working great but it does have a depth adjustment so it was easy to dial in.  I'm also using the dark green siding gauges and they are working great.  Turns it into a one man show. 

I'm trying imgur now since photobucket doesn't like me anymore.   Lets see if this works. 

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2017, 04:16:57 PM »
Pictures good.  How did Harvey affect you?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time and money to fix it?

Offline dablack

• Rusk TX
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2017, 05:59:00 AM »
Harvey didn't do anything to us.  I don't think we even got an inch of rain.  Our rain total for the month was probably about +20%.  All the bands lost their power just east of here.  Nacogdoches (the oldest town in Tx) is about 30 minutes straight east from us.  They got TONS of rain but East TX is very hilly so some roads over creeks got lots of water but everyone was fine.  The only time we ever have a problem is if the winds take down trees and then we lose power.  We were away from home for a while due to work and when we got back, the chest freezer was fine but the frig freezer had lost power long enough that we had to throw away everything.  No big deal.  The only real loss was all the blackberries we had juiced to make jelly.  We had 4 gallons of juice in the freezer that went in the compost.  It broke my heart.  No blackberry jelly this year.  Oh well.
My sister in Houston was trapped in her dry house for about three days.  My younger sister in law had 3' of water in her house in Katy.  We went down ASAP and pulled the lower 4' of sheetrock, carpet, baseboards, and drill holes in the bottom of the cabinets.  I set up a dehumidifier and luckily their AC was still working.  We got it all out quick so mold never got to form.  I still sprayed the stud bays down with mold remediation stuff.  They have new beds now and are sort of camping in their house.   

Next step is to keep going with the siding.  I will run out of areas that I can reach with the step ladder and will need to buy some scaffolding. 

Austin

Offline NathanS

• NY Mountains
« Reply #79 on: Yesterday at 07:01:34 AM »
The exterior is looking good. I've been using a stanley clamp i found on ebay for my clapboards - patent date of 1888, well over 100 yrs old, amazing little thing, works like new and made out of brass. Not sure it would work on cement board, but so nice having the right tools. Makes quick work out of a 16 ft clapboard.

I'm in the same boat as you on scaffolding too. I really should have bought some for the roof, I think it would have saved 2+ weeks off install time.

Anyway keep posting progress.