Ways to Minimize Waste on the Jobsite?

Started by MIEDRN, August 18, 2006, 05:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIEDRN

I have a few questions and I hope I ask them correctly. Peg, forgive me if I don't know exactly what to ask the first time!  ;D

Is there a list somewhere to tell me what those little pieces of 2x4's, 2x6's, I-joists and everyhing you build with.......can be used for?

Like 2x6 end pieces or mistakes can be used for the blocking between...... whatever?

I can picture myself shaking visibly when cutting my first pieces of lumber and I want to make sure I can use some of those mistakes! LOL

I know........stupid question! :)

Sassy

You can always use it for firewood!  ::)  ;)

MIEDRN

OMG!  ;D Wasn't expecting this!  ;D

That's one thing I hadn't thought of! LOL Might come in handy though around the campfire at night. :)

Had to chuckle at this one!

Amanda_931

I've seen pictures of small shed made with short lengths of 2x4 (or 2x6, could be one size per wall) nailed or screwed together.  It might be one of those--the basic materials are free, but the fasteners cost thousands.

JRR

Keep the lengthier scrap pieces protected up off the ground in a central housecleaning area.  You will be amazed at the unplanned opportunities to use them as the construction proceeds.

This is an advantage the DIY'r has over the general contractor types.

MIEDRN

I can see me building shelves in the shed similiar to map shelves.

Labeled: 2x4 - 6", 2x4 - 8", etc. and lots of little cubby holes for nails, screws, clamps and other types of holders! LOL

Kinda resembling a sewing or quilting room, only with building materials. :)

Better make that a big shed!

Amanda_931

Of course a real way to minimize waste is not to generate it.

To buy your wood in lengths that leave less waste.

(there's something called a "pre-cut stud, for instance, that's a couple of inches shorter than the "8-foot" ones, if you need the former, it's a waste of both time and material to make all those cuts--although I don't know if anyone is using those any more--seems like they're mostly available in 2x4)

desdawg

There is blocking that can go in the framing that is oftentimes neglected but sure would be handy later. For instance when you are ready to hang curtains and there is no solid blocking between the studs at the curtain rod height off to the side of the windows, mounting a toilet paper holder or a towel bar and needing to use wall anchors because there is no solid wood in the wall at the correct location. These are just a couple of examples but when you are building your own home and have the time to scheme these things out it's pretty easy to nail in a few blocks in key locations before the drywall goes up.

RAB

I often get comments on the lack of scrap left at my job sites – here are a few things that I do.
As Amada says order the stuff in the right length. I use precut studs and order 9' and 10' OSB for sheeting (eliminates all seams on exterior walls – with no cost penalties).

Blocking, blocking, blocking – baseboard, sheetrock nailers, vent fans, toilet paper holder, towel bars, cabinets, wall heaters, door trim, window trim, stud straighters, etc. Set small split stuff next to dumpster for free fire wood.
Spend time planning for each phase of job – next door neighbor commented on how long I took to set, brace and block a 200 truss house, then was amazed that I took only one day to sheet roof with 2 guys both over 50...setup and planning was the whole key.
Finally don't sweat the $35.00 of wasted 5 ½" off-cuts/mis-cuts on the total job, be more concerned with the cost of the whole project - plumbing and electrical has gone up 30% in two years for me.

peg_688

Yup Rayn and desdawg have covered it pretty well.

And like Sassy said  [highlight]FIRE WOOD[/highlight] , I have not paid for fire wood in at least 15 years . If the client doesn't want it I bring it home and  heat with it both in my shop and house.

When I was in a cabinet shop I'd burn all the cut offs from the chopsaws , so we'd be burning walnut , Red Oak , cherry , etc depending on the job .

My stoves are really used to KD stock  ;D

No since puttin it in  land fill. This is all raw wood , no paint / primer. Mostly under 24" long althought the odd long piece does get cut up , split/ twisted crappy  stock , load stickers , etc .    

glenn-k

Dumpster diving is a good resource to get materials too if you can get permission from a major project site --thousands of dollars of stuff thrown out daily at some sites I have been to.  

Sometimes insurance concerns of the contractor prevent you from getting this stuff though.

MIEDRN

I was researching the cost of lumber and it appears the price has gone down in recent years. I'm not sure if it will continue but I'm glad I didn't build in 2001 or 2002.

I have a son that is an accountant for the parent company of Simonton windows and I can get them at cost. They also handle trim. That will save a bundle. His boss paid $900 for a whole house of windows.

I'm going to run the electrical wire myself and pay someone to hook it up to the box. I've researched it but I think the code has changed recently. Nothing to fuss over - small changes.

I'll certainly have to pay a plumber because I don't want to tackle it myself.

The HVAC is laid out in the plans and I know a good DIY supply house in Jackson, MI. Very helpful so I'm confident there.

My father was a cement mason and my brother does it now on the side. He's paid for a few houses with the money and it's no wonder - he wanted to charge me 10K for my basement! :-[ and that was 10 years ago. I wanted to remind him that I was family but what the heck!

Now I'm looking into the cold climate foundations which would be easiest for DIYers. My sons had a friend who would have done it for the price of materials but he died of leukemia in the spring. Very sad because he was a sweetheart and so young.

Another son does drywall professionally - or he did until he was outbid by illegal aliens. He still has all the tools and is very good at it.

Lowe's had OSB for just over $4 a sheet this week for 4x8. By the time I'm ready for it next spring, it'll probably be double! Lots of sales lately though. Wish I had a shed to put it in!

I've chosen two parcels at this tax sale and am expecting them to go cheap. One thing that scares me is that there are quite a few lawsuits about the tax sales here but so far, none have been settled to the owners satisfaction.

We'll see how this goes. I can feel myself wanting to skimp on some things and I have to resist the urge to skimp on the foundation. Common sense tells me that if the foundation isn't good - the home won't be either but it's hard to put money into something you can't see. Still, I want to get the best that I can at the cheapest rate!