The Man Cave

Started by Curtis, November 11, 2008, 05:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curtis

I accidentally deleted the old thread. I didn't repost it immediately because I was working on redoing the Sketchup layout of what is to be. I was pretty satisfied with the way it looked, however I tried adding more things and correcting some errors from rushing into it too quickly, all in all it was more trouble than it was worth so I started working on a new design this time. I'll incorpate my old one into this, as the idea is still the same, but i'll make this one more detailed and more to spec than the last.

Basically, my goal is to actually build this. Underground housing has many many benefits, of which can be easily found via searching Google or searching this site. The more I read into it, the more I just had to go that route. My original plan was to build a cheap cabin. But I chose the underground route for many reasons, but most importantly it seems to be more "me".

Here are a couple Sketchup drawings of the plan. I'll post more updates to the design as I make them. I have two days off in a row, I cant believe it. I'll get some work done on it, for sure.

This would be looking at the main entrance from uphill.

Another view of the front. The raised logs/support beams are raised as this area will also serve as a greenhouse. All I have left to do is add some glass over top of it somehow. I tried doing this last night and it seemed to be a big issue as I didnt line everything up properly. Too lazy to do it at the moment.

The main entrance from the inside. You see the shelf built into the wall, then it dips down another level. Also, note the skylight. I think this is how Glenn mentioned it should be done. I'm reading "The $50 and up Underground House Book" but havent gotten to the lighting part of it.
There will be a small and functional kitchen in this area, and a table in which to eat. The idea that I had in my original plan will then follow from there, where you have stairs on both sides leading into a living area / gathering area with a fireplace and two rooms lead off of each side. A bathroom, and a bedroom.

Of course, there will be a hidden hallway that will lead to a 8X8X8 room. The entrance shall be hidden by a false wall of some sort, a bookshelf or something. Who knows?

I was thinking of some sort of higher elevation observation tower type thing that could only be accessed from the inside of the house. The purpose would serve as to star gaze, as to get a good view of the land (and anything/one else that is on it / should not be), etc. It would be like a 15 foot "tower" that would open up into the center of a deck of some sort. We'll see. If you're building underground, a observation tower isn't really all that discrete or easy to hide, haha.

Post up your ideas, comments, words of wisdom and advice. I'll try not to accidentally delete this thread ;)
-Curtis

ScottA

Curtis

Amazing! Bookmarked for future reading.
-Curtis

glenn kangiser

I thought something was wrong and still had a copy of the old thread on one of my tabs.  I saved it to Evernote before I lost it so lets see if I can get the old comments back.  I will still have the old pix also if you want them but the new ones are so much nicer I'll leave them off for now.

Author
Topic: Man Cave  (Read 165 times)
PedalFastBmx

Man Cave
« on: November 09, 2008, 21:54:47 »

So, I have far off plans of building an underground house. I've been running many ideas through my head, and I began to put some of those ideas into some computer renderings.

Keep in mind that these arent completely accurate as I have not taken into consideration proper support, etc. Right now they're just rough ideas as to what I would like to accomplish. The computer model is far from complete, i've only sat through two sessions at the computer working on it and many more are to come, i'll post the progress and take input along the way. Any ideas? Any words of advice?

Basically the downstairs section will remain as is. A hallway that will be kept hidden via a false wall or moveable bookshelf or something will also be added, which will lead to a 8X8X8 room for whatever you may need a hidden room for. All that is needed left to be designed is the upstairs which is mostly underground but perhaps the top three feet will poke out of the ground, or something.

Overview from above ground.

You see the steps leading from the kitchen/dining area. This would be the living area. The couch, faces the fireplace. (see other photo) and shelves could be built into the staircase for books and random stuff. You also see the entrance to the bedroom, and a side hall closet.

The fireplace

Sideview of what would the main bedroom. Plenty large.

The would be bathroom, with skylight. May have to rethink that, haha.

I'll try to get the top most part of it done and represent how it would be in the land, just give me a few days. Any ideas?

-Curtis
My Man Cave in progress

glenn kangiser
The Troglodyte
Administrator
Journeyman

Re: Man Cave
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 22:45:30 »

Great start.

The skylight--- Expecting any guests to drop in?  Mike Oehler recommends a sunscoop or raised roof as a deer or and elk etc. could easily drop into a ground level skylight but not likely into a vertical window.  Put the back to the down hill side IE windows on 3 sides if you want but the 4th side is dirt/vegetation covered and draining down hill to solid ground.

If using the $50 method support members sizes are in the tables in the back of the book.  supports are either  8x8 spacing or 8x 10.5 spacing.  I found a way to get near double that by using diagonal bracing and carrying half a span back to the 16 or 21 foot spacing but leaving only 8' or 10.5' span in the middle.

Roof penetrations make dams which often leak.  You may want to try to get things to the side but not saying you cant do it - just presenting the problems.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe from Architectural School Lesson

PedalFastBmx

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:37:15 »

Thanks for the input, next update will include some fixes, including some support beams.

I'll redo the skylight or redesign it, and figure out how to light the living area without that large rectangular skylight aswell.

-Curtis
My Man Cave in progress

glenn kangiser
The Troglodyte
Administrator
Journeyman

Quote Modify Remove Split Topic
I think Mikes book has the sunscoop but it may have been on his video.  It is like a shed roof popping out of the ceiling with water running off of the back and pie shaped windows on the sides - as well as a rectangular one on the front.  Clerestory could also work depending on your layout.  I have one sunscoop here near the center of the cabin.

Bishopknight

Western Maine

« Reply #5 on: Today at 13:56:40 »

Whats holding you off from building it? Spare time? Money? Land? Building code restrictions?

We can offer advice on all these things

Report to moderator    192.206.187.61 (?)
"With confidence, you can reach truly amazing heights; without confidence, even the simplest accomplishments are beyond your grasp." - unknown

PedalFastBmx

« Reply #6 on: Today at 20:34:46 »

Quote from: Bishopknight on Today at 13:56:40
Whats holding you off from building it? Spare time? Money? Land? Building code restrictions?

We can offer advice on all these things

I'm twenty. Money, and land, right now is the big one. I have a small savings account that seems to get spent on more immediate items and things. But my ultimate goal is to do it. I mean, I will, its just a matter of how soon.

I could get started as early as next Spring. Depends on how much i'm able to save this winter and if i'm able to find a small ammount of land to do it on and what kind of help I can get. Realistically, however, it may be much later than that. Nonetheless is going to happen sometime.

Thanks for the interest.

-Curtis
My Man Cave in progress

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Now at least the text history is there.

Your new drawings are great, Curtis.  I think you have the skylight right now.  No bears, deer etc likely to drop in that way.  We find that the amount of light using Mike's metods is as much or more than an above ground house if you plan well.  Mike was big on getting light from all 4 sides of the house or more if you have more sides.       He wanted all areas reasonably easy to open to be glass for light.  Keep in mind that overhead glass or other dangerous areas should be tempered glass.  Salvaged sliding door glass is tempered.  It can't be cut but you can normally adapt the structure to it as the walls are non-bearing.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Curtis

I've been looking around at land. I can't really afford anything right now, i'm in no situation to start on the project, but just for fun I was checking out land prices and found basically what i'm looking for.

Its a 13.1 acre downhill lot facing the South (well, SE). Its also mainly wooded. Its for sale at $35K is surrounded by other lots:

But from Google Earth, they appear to be empty. Although the satelite images are from 2005, I can't imagine it now being a sprawling neighborhood full of people, so I trust that it is still relatively empty. A few houses up the road, that is all.

Meh, I need to start doing something to get things started. What is the typical amount of money "down" on a loan so large? I guess i'll look around.
-Curtis

MountainDon

Something like that if left as is, no further subdividing gives enough land to each that there shouldn't be much crowding.

I have no idea what amounts down would be required now.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Curtis

Well if I put $10,000 down, with a rate of 6.5% interest, for 10 years... my monthly payments for the mortgage would be about $240, according to this online calculator I used.

Hell, thats cheaper than my half of rent in this college town apartment.

That land is located just two counties over from where I am from, so its close to home too.
-Curtis

glenn kangiser

Looks interesting doesn't it.  Thinking like this you will be in your own place before you know it.  I can see you starting to figure out ways to reach your goal soon. :)

MountainDon

The next thing to do would be to get your hands on all the info about the site. It appears to be an "organized" affair. There may be restrictions on what you can or can't do... building size, cutting trees (I've seen a place near our mountains that actually had a HOA that could rule on weather or not any landowner could cut tress or not.)  d* And a minimum building size is not uncommon in some places. Or it could be like ours and all they wanted us to agree to was to pay them the money they wanted.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Curtis

Hopefully the latter of the two.

We'll see how it all goes.

Updates tomorrow.
-Curtis

Curtis

QuoteHeavy woods & picturesque ravines with Logson Branch Creek throughout
      the whole property.

This is the LAST homesite available HURRY, Don't miss Out on the great Prices!

Each homesite comes with a free water tap valued at $3,000

Close to Lawrenceburg and Rising Sun Indiana

New Prices reflect Savings Up To $9,000.00 Off Original Prices

Low payments through Huntington Bank with 10% down

Call 1-800-258-5263 or email for information

Pike Township

Aberdeen Pate Water (with tap)

Osgood REMC Electricity

Sprint Telephones

Rising Sun/Ohio County Schools

All lots are surveyed and septic approved
-Curtis

Mike 870

Hey there, I recognize that land listing, I think we are in the same neck of the woods.  Good luck with your search.  Check out ruralretreats (rurret.com I think)  and landandfarm.com  also brunner land company (they have some crappy restrictions though).

Curtis

Are you in Southern Indiana?

I'm originally from Jefferson County, in a small town of Madison, right on the Ohio river.

Currently reside in Monroe County, as I moved here to be closer to the lady who attends IU.
-Curtis

Squirl

Looks like a good deal.  10% down you can't beat with a stick, especially in this lending market.  Many mortgages are looking for 20% if you don't have great credit. Check for local regulations with recent subdivisions.  Many have quasi governments or by laws for building, (such as house has to be build by X time or the house must be X feet.)  Facing SE you can get a lot of solar gain too.  You can also try Microsoft Vitual Earth SDK.  It has a great "birds eye" feature.

Mike 870

I'm in Ohio about 45 minutes west of the Indiana border down I 70. 

Curtis

The lady is not super thrilled with the idea. Still unsure what to do about that.  ???

"I don't want to live in a 'basement'"

"I want windows"

Women and their wants.

Although she did agree that a partial underground house might be 'neat'.

So... Updates as they arrive. I've been busy lately and have not posted.
-Curtis

Sassy

Most women have a finer taste for the aesthetics...  and you'll usually end up with a more pleasant, comfortable cabin if you listen to her   heh 

Besides, the design of the "underground cabin" as per Mike Oehler, is to have light/windows coming from all angles of the house - tell your lady that she will end up with more windows than she would with a conventional house   8)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Curtis

I know, and I have told her all of that.

She's quite skeptical that I cant do any of this, haha, but I mean, we're young, so its understandable.

Actually I need to restart, yet again, another sketchup project. I have no idea why I have the entrance to the unit at the TOP of the house, when it is much more logical and clearly stated in the book that the best way to do it is have the entrance at the foot of the house. No big deal.

Today I got really into the book and read a good half of it. Not having to do anything tonight, I think i'm going to finish it and then start the new sketchup project with all the new information in mind.

Currently i'm still seeking land. I'm going to do this project no matter what, it just comes down to me not wanting to rent any longer, and is sort of a means of securing my financial future aswell. Of course, i'm an outdoorsy person and just would prefer to live this way, but being able to save money is a major plus.

If anyone, seriously, knows of anyone with a lot of acres, perhaps you have quite a few, then let me know. It would be nice to find someone with a surplus of land that they don't mind helping a guy out with (haha) and letting him buy a small portion of it that is of course a southern facing hill. Real estate listings are more expensive, i'm having trouble finding specific land (and if its what I need, then who knows about the building codes and what not?). I'll try my luck here. Can't hurt.
-Curtis

MountainDon

You may get lucky! We did. We stumbled across a low key listing with a Realtor. They had just dropped the price by 20% too.  :)

The lot next to ours is now back up at the original asking price. It's only 3 acres, south facing, very sloped, extremely treed and in need of cleanup and thinning. New Mexico mountains; 3 season access unless one has a snow machine. Far enough off the beaten track to be near invisible.

Curtis

I'll continue to search ads, and whatnot. I can't expect it to just find me, but I hope I can have some of the same luck you had and find a good deal.

-Curtis

rwanders

In my experience, it is very difficult to obtain a loan from a bank or credit union for raw land---usually you need to find a seller willing to carry a note secured through a deed of trust. Actually, this makes it easier to negotiate a workable deal for you----just be sure and have an attorney review the paperwork before you sign it! Real estate law IS NOT the same as standard contract law and significant land mines can lurk beneath the surface.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Curtis

Thanks for the advice. Well, i'll just let it be known that i'm looking for some land.
-Curtis

Squirl

It helps to settle on an area of the country.  You need to narrow down your wants and needs first.  How much do you consider cheap?  Do you mind snow?  Are you looking for no natural disasters?  Are you looking for a certain political climate? When you say south slope, are you looking mountains or hills?  Do you want it to be within a certain commute at where you are at now?  Where do you plan to live during construction?  Will you have cash upfront or are you looking for owner financing?  How are you going to be employed during construction?  Is one acre enough or more/less?  There are a lot of variables.  You could probably get some very cheap land in Northern Alaska or Northern Maine.  If this is what you are looking for, there are many people here from those areas that could probably help.

Mike 870

You should definitly check out Ohio, there are several counties that are very owner builder friendly.  I have looked into Adams, Pike and Ross and found them very favorable.