cost of building under $5,000.00

pics
0 (0%)
advise on starting
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 30, 2010, 03:35:18 PM

kchaney

I am new to all this and looking for advise on where and how to find books on this project??  Is there
any free books by mail out there?  Has anyone built a little house for under $5,000.00 and show me some pics?   Need help, I have my land just need advise.

Tom

People build for $5,000, but I doubt that many live in such a building. How big of a place are you looking to build?
As for keeping costs down, I'd recomend becoming a daily regular on craigslist. Hit the "free" section as well as "materials" each day.
I'm currently just under $4,000 on my 12x16. I have no running water. I have a woodstove purchased for winter heat. I have a ways to go before I'm through. I'm thinking that I'll come in somwhere between 5K and 6K when I'm through.
You can see it under "New land 12x16".
I've found everyone to be very patient and helpful. It's a good site if you want to build it yourself.
Good luck

John Raabe

Here's a link to the first "Little House" that started the plans kit - http://www.countryplans.com/cottage.htm

Each of my two kids, at different times, spent several months living there when they visited. These days it is mostly used for storage.

It could still be built for $1400, but it's pretty rustic.

Here's a much bigger version of the Little House plans that was done for $10k: http://www.countryplans.com/keller.html
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MushCreek

This site is definitely a good place to start for advice.

Everything in real estate is location. For one person, in a moderate climate, without a lot of government interference, you could certainly do it. In some places, just the permits could cost you more than $5000! A harsh climate, or in hurricane or earthquake zones, costs will go up. If you have to do everything 'by the book' with inspections, etc., costs will go up. Some places require a minimum square footage. When looking for our property in SC, there were areas with a 2400 sq ft minimum!

$5000 isn't very much money these days. You could easily spend that much (or more) on a well, or septic system, or having power brought in. If you're going to build a half mile off the road in the woods, it will cost you a lot of money just to get any kind of path cleared. For $5K, you'd be living off-grid, with only the barest essentials, using either rain water or a stream, a composting toilet or an outhouse, and cooking and heating with wood. But there are folks doing it.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

freezengirl

Check your local public library and also your state USDA Rural Extention Service. The extentention service is a huge resource for information that often people don't think of.

Squirl

I say that it is easily possible to build a very small house/cabin for $5000 without a well, septic, or electric.  Those factors can vary wildly by location.  I have an 8x12 "shed" I built for around $2000.  I could have doubled the square ft with a minimal percentage cost increase I had wanted it to be more like a cabin instead of a shed.  I could easily see a 300-400 sq. ft building for $5000 with the cheapest materials, and all owner supplied labor.  Well, Septic, and Electric extra.

As far as free books by mail, I don't know many people that give that much valuable information away for free, especially when it cost money to mail things. The little house plans kit is one of the best I have seen for one of the best prices on the web.  I have found others cheaper, but some of their design was unsafe in my opinion.

If you already have the land, you are kind of stuck on those three items that aren't included.  Either you have a spring or not, you either have good soil or not, and you either have electricity near by or not.

Solar Burrito

our is almost at $5000 at this point. But we have bought siding and roofing that's not in the photos. This with free or $20 craigslist windows and reused or free foundation beams and pier blocks.

I'd buy some of Johns plans from Countryplans and start there. His plans are about the most economical way to build. I know because we used way more materials with our design, not using his plans.
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com