Thought For the Day

Started by pioneergal(Guest), April 06, 2006, 04:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal(Guest)

People will be more impressed by what you finish than by what you start and never complete.

lodestar

There is an old buddhist saying...something to the effect:  A person who finishes working on their house, dies.

Sassy

Pioneergal, I'm with you but Glenn agrees with Lodestar  :-?  Is it a "male/female" thing?   :-/  Sassy

pioneergal(Guest)

pioneergal(Guest)

Tim The Toolman Taylor........

women like to see things accomplished......men just like doing things

DH said that if we don't get this house finished there may not be a male or female around this place.  ;D

lodestar

Hmmmm...we built our home 22 years ago, but are making changes/amendments here and there.  It's odd that you say it's a male/female thing, cuz my wife is constantly saying, "we can just do this, or that"...I told her my least favorite 4 letter word in the english language is 'just' when it is meant, it's so easy....ha!  To me when someone says 'just do this' I figure it'll take twice as long with three times the trouble.

Sassy

Those "justs" are "just" the things we need to get things "just" the way we want them & then its finished...  ;)  but later it "just" might need a little change or "just" a little addition...  :)

jb52761

I like pioneergal's initial thought, I can work with that...my thought for the day is..." Both of your brothers' are coming home from St. Paul for a visit tomorrow, one is a carpenter and the other one is a know-it-all, better burn the midnight oil and get things in order"... :-?

pioneergal(Guest)

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes."

If this saying is true then I have a lot of experience :-[   ...... pioneergal

Jimmy_Cason

Quote..I told her my least favorite 4 letter word in the english language is 'just' when it is meant, it's so easy....ha!  To me when someone says 'just do this' I figure it'll take twice as long with three times the trouble.

I got started building my house because my wife said those 4 words I dread!.....
(Honey, I've been thinking..)

benevolance

It is a Male/Female thing

Hopefully the Males are winning! ;)

Sassy

"Of all the enemies to public liberty, war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes. And armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. "In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended. Its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force of the people. "The same malignant aspect in republicanism may be traced in the inequality of fortunes, and the opportunities of fraud, growing out of a state of war, and in the degeneracy of manners and morals, engendered by both. No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare." : James Madison, April 20, 1795

I support our Republic, but the freedom it gives also exposes us to excesses & fraud.  If there isn't a set moral basis, I don't see how a republic or democracy can continue.    Sassy

"The moment we begin to fear the opinions of others and hesitate to tell the truth that is in us, and from motives of policy are silent when we should speak, the divine floods of light and life no longer flow into our souls.": Elizabeth Cady Stanton Biography - Reformer, Writer, Lecturer, 1815-1902

"All experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."  
The Declaration of Independence (1776)

glenn-k

I guess that leaves me out.  The best I can think of is from my buddy, Al.

He say's if you want to know the easiest way to do something, ask a lazy man.

Jimmy_Cason

My Thought for the day..
Because I'm a man....

Because I'm a man, when I lock my keys in the car, I will fiddle with a coat hanger long after hypothermia has set in. Calling AAA is not an option. I will win.

Because I'm a man, when the car isn't running very well, I will pop the hood and stare at the engine as if I know what I'm looking at. If another man shows up, one of us will say to the other,  "I used to be able to fix these things, but now with all these computers and everything, I wouldn't know where to start." We will then drink a couple of beers and break wind, as a form of male bonding.

Because I'm a man, when I catch a cold, I need someone to bring me soup and take care of me while I lie in bed and moan. You're a woman.  You never get as sick as I do, so for you, this is no problem.

Because I'm a man, I can be relied upon to purchase basic groceries at the store, like milk or bread. I cannot be expected to find exotic items like "cumin" or "tofu." For all I know, these are the same thing.

Because I'm a man, when one of our appliances stops working, I will insist on taking it apart, despite evidence that this will just cost me twice as much once the repair person gets here and has to put it back together.

Because I'm a man, I must hold the television remote control in my hand while I watch TV. If the thing has been misplaced, I may miss a whole show looking for it.....though one time I was able to survive by holding a calculator.....(applies to engineers mainly).

Because I'm a man, there is no need to ask me what I'm thinking about. The true answer is always either sex, cars, sex, sports or sex. I have to make up something else when you ask, so don't ask.

Because I'm a man, I do not want to visit your mother, or have your mother come visit us, or even talk to her when she calls. Whatever you got her for Mother's Day is okay; I don't need to see it. And don't forget to pick up something for my mother, too.

Because I'm a man, you don't have to ask me if I liked the movie.  Chances are, if you're crying at the end of it, I didn't....and if you are feeling amorous afterwards....then I will certainly at least remember the name and recommend it to others.

Because I'm a man, I think what you're wearing is fine. I thought what you were wearing five minutes ago was fine, too. Either pair of shoes is fine.  With the belt or without it, looks fine. Your hair is fine. You look fine.  Can we just go now?

Because I'm a man, and this is, after all, the year 2006, I will share equally in the housework. You just do the laundry, the cooking, the cleaning, the vacuuming, and the dishes, and I'll do the rest...... like wandering around in the garden wondering what to do!

This has been a public service message for women to better understand men.

glenn-k

Weather: If you feel stuff falling from the sky, better check to make sure it's rain, cause there's also a lot of birds flying around too, eh!

McKenzie Bros.

Courtesy Bobnet -http://www.execulink.com/~bobnet/

jraabe

The Wisdom of Jack Handy...

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

I think a pillow should be the peace symbol, not the dove. The pillow has more feathers than the dove, and it doesn't have a beak to peck you with.

When Gary told me he had found Jesus, I thought, Yahoo! We're rich! But it turned out to be something different.

Probably the saddest thing you'll ever see is a mosquito sucking on a mummy. Forget it, little friend.

More HERE

glenn-k

Good stuff, John.  I like this one.

To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" you can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

Yesterday I was at McDonalds near work.  A panhandler who had been there everyday all week came up to me to ask for money.  He said, "Hey, can you help me out?" -- I said kind of whispering, "Yeah, they just called the cops inside." --- He said, "Oh, thanks." and took off as fast as he could go.  I thought I was real cute. :)

Glenn

jonseyhay

Work your fingers to the bone and what have you got; "bony fingers"... Sonny Bono.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence; but you still gotta mow it... Me. ;D

peg_688

"Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks that is what they is, is the happiest lot."

[size=12]  Mr. Wizard to tooter turtle at the end of each adventure / show . [/size]

jraabe

Does this strike close to the bone for any of us CountryPlanners?

Sassy

Here's several "thoughts for the day"  ::)

[1]  Sometimes, when I look at my children, I say to myself, "Lillian, you
       should have remained a virgin." - Lillian Carter (mother of Jimmy
       Carter)

[2]  I had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not
       pleased to read the description in the catalogue: "No good in a bed, but
       fine against a wall."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

[3]  Last week, I stated this woman was the ugliest woman I had ever
       seen.  I  have since been visited by her sister, and now wish to withdraw
       that statement. - Mark Twain

[4]  The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good
       ending; and to have the two as close together as possible. - George
       Burns

[5]  Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year. -
       Victor  Borge

[6]  Be careful about reading health books You may die of a misprint. -
       Mark Twain

[7]  What would men be without women? Scarce, sir . . mighty scarce. -
       Mark Twain

[8]  By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy;
       if  you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

[9]  I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury - Groucho
       Marx

[10]  My wife has a slight impediment in her speech. Every now and then
       she stops to breathe. - Jimmy Durante

[11]  The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness and
       kindness, can be trained to do most things. - Jilly Cooper

[12]  I have never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back. - Zsa
       Zsa Gabor

[13]  Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential
       food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. - Alex Levine

[14]  Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes
       you nothing. It was here first. - Mark Twain

[15]  My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop
       dying. - Ed Furgol

[16]  Money can't buy you happiness . . but it does bring you a more
       pleasant form of misery. - Spike Milligan

[17]  What's the use of happiness? It can't buy you money. - Henny
       Youngman

[18]  I am opposed to millionaires . . but it would be dangerous to
       offer  me the position.  - Mark Twain

[19]  Until I was thirteen, I thought my name was shut up. - Joe Namath

[20]  Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life. -
       Herbert Henry Asquith

[21]  I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time
       for  my nap. - Bob Hope

[22]  I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do
       in it. - WC. Fields

[23]  We could certainly slow the ageing process down if it had to work
       its way through Congress. - Will Rogers

[24]  Don't worry about avoiding temptation . . . as you grow older, it
       will avoid you. -  Winston Churchill

[25]  Maybe it's true that life begins at fifty.. but everything else
       starts  to wear out, fall out, or spread out. - Phyllis Diller

[26]  The cardiologist's diet: If it tastes good spit it out. - Unknown

[27]  By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he's too old
       to  go anywhere.  -  Billy Crystal

glenn-k

A variation on the fisherman wisdom.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Ripped off from an engineering blogger's site.

Amanda_931

That could mean lots of things.

Krispy Kritter to fanatic, and points beween.

glenn-k

I woke up this morning to the sound of a kitty meowing outside my motel room window.  

I stayed at a different motel a little more rural, and was unfamiliar with the local animals that might be wandering around outside the room.

I lay there wondering, should I get up and see if she will let me pet her?  It feels so nice lying here all warm under the covers.  I'm still kind of sleepy.

I was thinking of how it was always nice to pet a little friendly stray cat.  I was thinking , she might be a calico like my old cat up in Oregon when I was a child.  I was thinking how it's a bit like meeting a friend in a strange town, how a nice friendly little kitty will weave herself back and forth between your ankles just taking the attention she craves so desperately whether you are ready to give it to her or not.

I missed my kitty at home when I heard her outside meowing like that.  Did she stop?  Did she go away?  Should I get up and look?

I stopped breathing for a second or two to see if I could still hear her before I made the extra effort to throw off the covers, roll out of bed and open the door a crack so I could see if I could see her without getting dressed.  No, I didn't hear her.  She must have went on her way.

Then I took another breath.  Oh there she was again.  Wait a minute---breathe --stop ---breathe ----stop.  She's there ---she's gone--- she's there ---she's gone.  My head is plugged up and the kitty is inside my head.  I hope she's a nice kitty.

That's my first thought for the day.  Bet you are glad you are not me. :-/

Glenn  :)

jraabe

I thought it was going to be a warm and fuzzy kitty story...

But the ending turned out more like a teenager's horror movie  :P