20x30 1.5 Story in Flagstaff AZ

Started by Matthewpeace, August 04, 2014, 12:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthewpeace

All the electric is trimmed out.  I stained the concrete floors this week and finished most of the painting inside.  My dad came in to town this week and helped me form and pour the concrete countertops.  The water and gas have been turned on.  Hopefully have my occupancy permit in a few weeks

Matthewpeace

I finished the concrete floor last night and I am happy with how it turned out.  It took 3 gallons of acid stain and about 2.5 gallons of a medium gloss sealer

UK4X4

I guess you havent polished finished your work tops yet ?

I'm looking at doing something similar but really only seen the moulded ones mostly on youtube

Matthewpeace

Correct.  I am letting the tops dry before I sand and finish them.  Hopefully next week they will be done.  Once sealed they can dry anymore.

dablack

That is some crazy dark stain on that concrete.  Is that cola?  How long did you leave it on before you started scrubbing and rinsing? 

Don't get me wrong!  I like it!  Just haven't seen floors that dark before. 

Matthewpeace

The stain is called ebony.  I wanted a really dark floor and it turned out just as I thought.  I wanted to offset the light wood and cabinets as well as the light wall colors.  I sprayed it on and almost immediately it was this dark.  It was one coat of stain.  I neutralized the acid the following morning and machine scrubbed the film off .  Then I hand sponged it and sealed it Sunday.

Matthewpeace

We got the final inspection and now have the green light to move in. It have been a crazy last few weeks. Everything turned out great. The only thing lacking is the interior trim work.

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

Me finishing up some trim work for the water heater closet

Matthewpeace

Water heater closet in the bathroom complete with trap door for access

Matthewpeace

The countertop before we put the cedar on the halfwall

potatopankakes

Matthew, was this in Kachina Village?  ... I wondered, because I don't know of many subdivisions in the county w/full utilties and such nice canyon property.

-Jeff

Matthewpeace

Quote from: potatopankakes on April 19, 2015, 12:05:24 PM
Matthew, was this in Kachina Village?  ... I wondered, because I don't know of many subdivisions in the county w/full utilties and such nice canyon property.

-Jeff

Yes this is built in kachina. Are you local here?

Matthewpeace

We put up a new shed (12 x 16) And got most of the grading done.  Working on the final trim inside and I will post the interior pictures once complete  We have been living here a few weeks now and could not be happier.  It has come together great so far.

potatopankakes

Nope, I'm in Phoenix.  I've been looking to move to Flagstaff, and have been pricing out property.  Your photos remind me how much work it is to build, but it sure is fulfilling.  Btw, nice work!

Quote from: Matthewpeace on April 19, 2015, 07:32:31 PM
Yes this is built in kachina. Are you local here?

Cougr67

Matt:
what do you think of the windows your have? I am considering the same as they are made locally

dablack

Place looks great. 

Any plans to put a porch roof over the front door?

Matthewpeace

Quote from: Cougr67 on April 20, 2015, 01:12:35 AM
Matt:
what do you think of the windows your have? I am considering the same as they are made locally

I love the windows.  They looks nice and seem to retain the climate inside nicely. I would use them again

Matthewpeace

Quote from: dablack on April 20, 2015, 07:33:48 AM
Place looks great. 

Any plans to put a porch roof over the front door?

Yes. I am currently drawing a front porch with roof as well as a deck for the back.  I planned ahead and framed for a door off the rear bedroom.  For the front I am in debate about running a ledger board an sloping a flat roof out or keeping with the same roof as the house

Matthewpeace

Quote from: potatopankakes on April 19, 2015, 11:13:23 PM
Nope, I'm in Phoenix.  I've been looking to move to Flagstaff, and have been pricing out property.  Your photos remind me how much work it is to build, but it sure is fulfilling.  Btw, nice work!

Thx. Property prices here continue to rise every day. They have gone up 23% since I bought mine. It's is a lot of work but well worth it when it's done.  WHen looking at property here keep in mind that if you have to go septic, they require alternative systems with all the clay here and they get expensive. That's why I wanted all utilities

bannerstien

All looks great. I like the light cabinets between the dark floor and counters. Are you keeping them natural?  BTW like the stair solution gives me an idea for my 1.5 I'm planning.

potatopankakes

Matt, did you do the excavation on your own, or hire out?

I ask because, I've gotten feedback that digging/rock removal is one of the most expensive portions.  One of my friends was given an estimate of $70k for digging the footers, utility trench, septic & drain fields.  That number possibly included $15 for advance septic equipment.  Even if I take $15 from $70, $55k is still a whopping number for excavation.  But, I'm hearing this rather consistently... so I'm believing it.

Quote from: bannerstien on April 21, 2015, 11:21:54 PM
All looks great. I like the light cabinets between the dark floor and counters. Are you keeping them natural?  BTW like the stair solution gives me an idea for my 1.5 I'm planning.

rick91351

Quote from: potatopankakes on April 26, 2015, 02:26:33 AM
Matt, did you do the excavation on your own, or hire out?

I ask because, I've gotten feedback that digging/rock removal is one of the most expensive portions.  One of my friends was given an estimate of $70k for digging the footers, utility trench, septic & drain fields.  That number possibly included $15 for advance septic equipment.  Even if I take $15 from $70, $55k is still a whopping number for excavation.  But, I'm hearing this rather consistently... so I'm believing it.

Holy Cow!!!!!  If you guys are having to pay that much!!!   [shocked]  I might just have to buy a hoe and come down there for a few months.

I don't think I have $25K in all my excavation....  Septic tank - septic infiltrators - and permit  -  culverts (found them used off a state road project and they were salvaged)  - excluded.  But that would include the roads - (decomposed granite for road was on site) but would include haulage.  Would include shop and house and a cellar and two RV pads and trenching for water, power and sewer.   However it digging is real easy going over here where we put everything.  We would be in the lava flows if we went 100 ft west.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Adam Roby

Quote from: potatopankakes on April 26, 2015, 02:26:33 AM
...$55k is still a whopping number for excavation...

That does sound like a lot.  I wonder (if you had the time and patience to do so) if it would be more beneficial to purchase a used excavator, do all the work yourself, then sell it at the end for near what you paid?  You can also look at a smaller unit, or one of those tow hoe's... might be a tad small for the amount of work you need to do though.