They don't buidum like they used to , Thankfully

Started by PEG688, September 08, 2006, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

So a new door , should be a header here,

Humm no just a rotten 1 x maybe 4? :-/Well and 6 wires  :o it's a good thing to always attempt to cut shallow even when you think your sure whats behind stuff ;) ;)

This is a repair , note the treaded top plate and new subplate , why they used treated who knows , guess they figgered when the roof leaked again it would help . DUMB IDEA ;DHope they didn't pay for that repair, maybe a home owner, DIY , er :-/They should have asked for advise.

Another bad repair heck there was no header so why not a 2x2 trimmer ::)

This 2 x 4 will help some , we redid the roof a overlay of 2x6 with sheet insulation 5/8 CDX ply , tourch down roofing so a point load of snow will rest mainly on that new roof and this lack of header shouldn't be a big deal .

Ta da  :)

New front door as well,

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Good job, PEG -- and you even saved the wires.  Personally I use direct burial wire in my mud walls.  I don't know if you should visit me or not. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

I don't do mud wall repairs  ;)One of those wires was 220 for the old oven location I think it must have been moved by someone , not sure if it was hot or not :o  Glad I didn't find out  :o ;D  Cheated death again ;)

CREATIVE1

Your pictures brought back some interesting memories of the house we tore down to build our new one.  We lived in it 12 years, paid of the mortgage--and practically blew it down with one breath.

Our bathroom with a 2' x 12' walk area was LIVE with electricity after I saw this idea in a magazine to brighten up a windowless room with--aluminum foil.  If you touched the wall in that 2 foot corridor, you got zapped.  

John Raabe

PEG lives and works on Whidbey Island! Where we have our share of questionable buildings...

Did you see the image of this building that I posted on another thread? (From my hometown, Langley)

Maybe we should have a contest to see who can drag up the most dangerous building mistake. Our island would definately be well represented!  :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

I saw that John  :oGuess that one slipped by our local Gystpo(sp), ah builder dept ::)

So there are reason for rules , codes .

Here's one I saw today in PT at the wooden boat show , Wa. state ferry dock guard rail,

My hand measures 8" at that point  ::)

I noticed this as a lilttle kid ran up tp that rail and wonder WHY THE STATE OF WASHINGTON , doesn't have to comply with the same codes / rules as JOE SIX PACK John Q. Public , BTW I don't drink any more  ::)l

I've noticed the same type of code violation around US post offices as well ::)

glenn kangiser

Come on PEG - the house John posted has to be to code-- it was approved and they paid the permits didn't they? ;D

PS --Do you drink any less? :-/   Stupid joke but it was a joke. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MIEDRN

Maybe we could start a "What Not to Do" kind of post!

glenn-k

There is a neat one here in town that even worried the engineer.  Said he wouldn't want to be on that back porch-- I'll get a picture of it soon and post it.

desdawg

Nice job PEG. I think the green top plate is to keep out airborn termites.
John that is quite a picture. Everyone knows that pink houses don't require as much support as earthtone homes.

Deana

""Maybe we should have a contest to see who can drag up the most dangerous building mistake.""

Here's my submission:

Found on a building blog for slipform.

Slipforming a Wilderness Cabin

W. New Annan, Nova Scotia, Canada

""For security, I embedded 1/2" PVC pipes in the concrete outside the window frames. Plywood shutters will be affixed with 8" bolts into the holes. A grid of 3/4" rebar across the openings will give additional security, and provide extra strength to the lentils above the windows.""

I only see one entrance/exit.  Looks like he built the wall with the rebar covering the windows.
Sure would hate to be in that building in the event of a fire.

Pala

Here's one I saw today in PT at the wooden boat show , Wa. state ferry dock guard rail,  

Dang tourists!!   :P

Thankfully that weekend is behind us now, I can go downtown and get a hot dog.

Are you coming back next weekend for the Film Festival?

"Port Townsend: Land of many Festivals."

chuck.

peg_688

Heres a couple of more classic's

2x4 joist 's 2' OC , sort of under sized about a 14' span they are old fir , really 1 3/4" thick , but well lets put the ,now old , new gas H/W tank here , we'll need combustion air but this joist is in the way , well cut her off what the heck ;D

And instead of running our T&G fir flooring 90 deg. to one another lets run them both layers the same way and see if we can't line up the T&G joints ::)

And to top it off after we get the plumbing run lets have the carpenter's drive a nail gun nail thru the 3/4" copper pipe  :o

No big deal it didn't leak till we pulled of the bead board paneling , my guy had to hold his thumb over the leak and call me on another job "Where the water shut off?" I drove over to the job about 10 min. drive as the water would have sprayed all over a nice door and wood floor to shut it offf, His thumbs where cramping up a bit by the time I got there ;D

Notice the short boards , plywood fillers , old exterior siding on the left side , this house used to be a few sheds , now pushed together , maybe they should have used a bigger dozer and just , ah , finished the job :o

Just kidding , well sort of , it's on the historical reg. in this lil town , we'll make her good , well no BETTER than new  ;)

glenn-k

Good driving PEG.  If your guy had been all thumbs he could have switched off a few times.  :)

So nail guns accidently shoot things besides people? :-?

peg_688

Ya and he's not dutch either ;D

Wierd that pipe hadn't leaked a bit, good thing we found it as if it had started to leak when the owners where out of town for few or more days it could have been a mini flood :o