20x36 michigan cabin

Started by miman, December 26, 2007, 12:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miman

https://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/larrystan/cottage/?albumview=link

above is a link to a cabin being built in michigan. i have been a long time time lurker, but this is my first postings. the foundation sits on 2'x2' footings, concert blocks and 6x6 pt posts attached by heavy duty tie downs. so far i have about $10,000 in the project. the roof construction is 12/12 pitch roof, trussed. this will give me a storage room upstairs, however i will lose the loft feel. the square feet of the cottage is 745 sq ft. 720 sq ft is the minimum sq ft allowed in the county. the boxed bump-out on the back of the cabin is closet space.

John Raabe

Looks like you may be about ready for trusses.

Nice view! :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

MMM... there's more pages to the photobucket collection than just the first one that comes up.

miman, I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of selecting some of the photobucket links and posting them here so others could see without venturing over to photobucket.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CWhite

Hi there,
I like your big windows. It looks like a terrific project. 
Do you plan on a stairwell to get upstairs? or will you use more of a ladder? 
Also, do you have a floor plan that you could post?  I am curious how differently you designed your 36 feet from the one I'm building.   I always learn from other folks ideas. 
Thanks,
Christina

glenn kangiser

Looks great - welcome to the forum.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Ah yes, now I can see. A combination of attic and scissors trusses.
Very interesting.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Redoverfarm

miman  Smart move pertaining to the attic truss. My house 10/12 1800sf has them. I moved the insulation wall to a 2' knee wall. That allowed me to put 4' of storage down both sides (exception for the dormer openings). Finished them off with drywall on the interior and put access cabinet doors)  They are already filled up. I did a 26 X 44 garage addition the same way and when I am done it will have storage in the same fashion. 

Alberta Curt

First time poster here as well.  I just received my plans for the 1 1/2 story cabin and have lots of questions.  Our design is going to be based on Nevada_Mike's alaskan Cabin.  Can someone tell me more about heavy duty tie downs for foundations?  How do they work?

Alberta Curt

"above is a link to a cabin being built in michigan. i have been a long time time lurker, but this is my first postings. the foundation sits on 2'x2' footings, concert blocks and 6x6 pt posts attached by heavy duty tie downs."

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the forum, Alberta.

There are different types of tie downs - depends on your situation, location and building method.

If you can tell us more about what you are planning and where we can give you more ideas that could possibly work.

What type of foundation do you plan?

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Alberta Curt

This is the style of cabin we want to build:

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1115136283

I was planning a pier and post foundation.  The cabin is going to be located here in Alberta, Canada (cold!!)  I have been going back and forth between using blocks/6x6 posts and concrete/rebar.  Alot of people here have used the wood posts and have been successful.  If you can't tell, I'm new at this and I'm sure this will be my first of many questions.

Appreciate your feedback.

glenn kangiser

I think in your area you may have a rather deep frost line.  I have heard of success with that by putting a plastic pipe around the piers.  We have also talked about the adjustable connectors in case of frost heave.  Keeping it dry underneath and well drained can help also.  No water - no frost heave.

Are wind or earthquakes a problem -- you mentioned the need for heavy duty tie downs.

Alberta Curt

Thanks for the feedback Glenn.  I was just curious about how the heavy duty tie downs worked.  Not sure that I would need them, but at this point I'm exploring all options. Couldn't find any information on them.

Alberta Curt

miman

i could not find any info myself. i knew i did not want pt post below the ground, and wanted to used block below grade. i saw the tie downs at a local lumber yard (menards) and realized that they would make an excellent transition from block to pt posts. the price for each 6x6 tie downs was 8 dollars.the tie downs have 2 bolts to pull the boot tights, and pre-drilled holes for lag bolts. the tie downs have a wide flat base with 4 pre-drilled hole for bolts. each tie down is attached with 4 red devil molly's.  the advantage of working with the tie downs..it gives you a second chance to square of the posts.

Alberta Curt

Thanks miman.  I'll check the local lumber yards.  Can you tell I'm a beginner?  So, step-by-step:

1. Pour 2'x2' concrete footings.  (how deep? 16"?)
2. Attach heavy duty tie downs w/4 red deveil molly's (not sure what a red devil molly is but I'll figure it out.  Are they just drilled into the cement or installed when the concrete is poured?
3. Slide in 6x6 posts

Can you imagine the questions that I will have when I do the roof?

MountainDon

Quote from: Alberta Curt on February 24, 2008, 05:05:11 PM
Thanks miman.  I'll check the local lumber yards.  Can you tell I'm a beginner?  So, step-by-step:

1. Pour 2'x2' concrete footings.  (how deep? 16"?)
2. Attach heavy duty tie downs w/4 red deveil molly's (not sure what a red devil molly is but I'll figure it out.  Are they just drilled into the cement or installed when the concrete is poured?
3. Slide in 6x6 posts

Can you imagine the questions that I will have when I do the roof?
1. 8" thick is usually good, with 1/2" rebar in either an X  or a  #  pattern. Local codes could call for something different if you are complying with applicable local codes. When it comes to foundations local requirements can vary considerably, and local authorities are frequently the best source of what works best, or what is required by code.

I'm not sure I understand if you have decided on what to use for the piers or not?  ??? concrete block... PT wood... or what?   miman mentioned he used concrete block. That's good. Filled with concrete and rebar the blocks don't even need to be individually mortared to each other. If you do that you can set anchors right into the concrete, and/or use metal post bases (some bolt down to the concrete anchors... some you can cast in place into the concrete. Different ways to do things....
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.