How to get into the Stripping Business

Started by benevolance, October 02, 2006, 10:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benevolance

Anyone know any pole dancing moves??? ;) Glenn? ::)

Okay seriously I have a lot of paint stripping to do on the new place in a couple of weeks once I get in there and I an all for people telling me the best ways they know to remove paint from moldings and cabinets

Heat, chemicals, dremel power tools...Anyone? anyone?

Bueller... bueller?

Amanda_931

I don't know what that stuff's like in this century--or much beyond the mid-seventies, for that matter.

But a neighbor who refinished furniture sent things out whenever possible to be stripped.

Sometime in there I had a job refinishing old Chris-Craft boats.  Those, oh lucky us, had to be done by hand.  And we never had gloves that were impervious.  

I learned that my susceptiblity to pain varied from day to day.   :)

Part of what you do is going to depend on how much paint there is on there.  The last time I tried to do anything was a pretty little oak chair with at least five coats of unknown origin paint on it.  Since taking it off with what was available then--early 90's maybe--seemed to take almost an hour of actual work per square inch, I soon decided I liked it as it was.

glenn kangiser

Well Peter -- I haven't done the pole thing -- I could, but do you think you really want to see it?  Should I shave may legs and put on my thong?   I could send the video. :)

I haven't made any suggestions because it is really a nasty job as far as I remember - I remember using something called Zip Strip -- seemed you could never get it to work well on the parts you wanted to come off but it was great at burning the skin off your fingers - hands etc.  Maybe there is a better way now.

There was a Polish painter down from Canada years ago that did some nice faux wood grain and left the old paint on -- but that's not what you want. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

Glenn

I advise you make that video...We can send it out to raise money to get Bush Re-elected...Just as long as I do not have to watch it. ;D

Yeah I did a couple internet searches on stripping and I might go with the heat gun....Heat and Strip it is called...Black and Decker make it....So it is sure to be junk :o

At least half a dozen coats of paint...I do not mind painted finish it just looks bad when it is globbed on uneven coat after coat...

The cabinets are not going to be too bad to sand once the doors and hinges are removed...I have a couple electric sanders that will work pretty good on them....Molding is a pain in the arse .. no other way to describe it...Curves and corners...A nightmare for sanding.

glenn kangiser

I don't think I better Peter --- too many nurses on this board and I wouldn't want to get a Foley. :-/

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

Glenn

There could be 25 nurses on this board.. only one rules your roost ;) So no need to be timid concerning the others.

(Looking to make sure wife is not watching) Luckily I do not have that problem...I am in complete control of my own domain ::)

glenn kangiser

Peter, --that is actually the one I'm worried about. :-/

benevolance

Glenn

Don't eat the soup...and Don't go to sleep ;)

glenn kangiser

Here is a company that has several types of paint removers, Peter.  Some require neutralizers but they do mention taking off paint with lead - up to 32 layers at once.  

http://www.paintremoval.com/

benevolance

Hey Thanks for the link...Good stuff...Need to giver er a try

Rover

I've once used a propane torch and scraper.  It worked well once I found the balance between scorching the wood and paint blistering.  This might be best on multilayers of paint.  Perhaps a heat gun would work better.
Chemicals can work well, depending on the manufacturer.  I don't have enough recent experience with chemicals though.

benevolance

well we spent the afternoon in the house on saturday....Got the cupboards measured and went in with paint chips and hammered out the colors for the kitchen and livingroom... Cannot do anything until after the 23rd so no stripping for a while...

Spent the rest of the day shopping for appliances and I spent a couple of hours on the internet comparing prices....

So far I have shaved about $400 off the cost of what they wanted at Sears or Lowes....Shopped at one of those websites that compares prices....

I am going to give the chemical paint stripping a try ...It looks promising...Especially since i have a bunch of layers to remove

glenn-k

Sounds like fun, Peter.  You should really be stacking up brownie points with the wife.  I'll bet you have a couple of get out of jail free cards now. :)

benevolance

Glenn,

Hey maybe if I work really hard on the house she will give me a night of passion with two twenty year old hotties for my upcoming birthday...

Or not..... ;)

Either way it is still pretty exciting...It is an unreal feeling to save money on appliances....We got an amazing deal on our living room sofa Saturday afternoon...It was such a natural high....I am not sure why anyone would ever need to take drugs.

We have a lot of nasty dirty work ahead of us with stripping sanding and painting....But it is all starting to really come together...I wish I had a little more money so we could do more at once....I would like to replace the windows but it will have to wait a few months..I am going to be out of cash by the time I get the Kitchen and floors done.

benevolance

Bought a  4x24" belt sander brand new today....Makita with a dust bag....I think I got a good deal on it $200

Wish I had the money to buy an industrial belt sander...Something that looked like an upright floor polisher...Covered 12 inch wide swath and sanded like bananas...

But considering I am a knuckle dragging mechanic...And a poor one to boot...The $200 belt sander will have to do.

Maybe it is time to ask the question as to what is the best protective coating for the hardwood floors...and if it is possible to colour them a little bit before I put on the protective coating...I had thought about this to co-ordinate the floor's colour with that of the walls in the room.

JRR

I have a 4" wide belt sander (Porter) with dust bag.  I have found that by removing the bag rig and attaching my small ShopVac works wonders for dust control.

glenn-k

QuoteGlenn,

Hey maybe if I work really hard on the house she will give me a night of passion with two twenty year old hotties for my upcoming birthday...

Thinking about this a bit , Peter.  You'd have a lot better time with a couple of 40 or 50 year olds -- the 20's are still learning --- but then again -- a young dude like you --- it'd probably kill you. :-/

benevolance

Glenn

Young dude.... ;D Man I wish it was still true....I feel like I have one foot in the grave more often than not...That is likely due to me doing stupid things like lifting rear axles and engines by myself though....

As this old man used to say to me...Strong like bull; smart like Wheelbarrow!

As for the typical stereotype man fantasy of 2 women....I think I would actually pass....I do tease my wife about it some... just because I know it bugs her... :P

But truthfully one woman in my life is enough to deal with....2 would likely kill me :-/

benevolance

The tip about the shop vac is awesome...I have a small 1 hp shop vac I could rig up a adaptor hose with some duct tape and run the shop vac with the windows open and I might be able to breathe and see what I am doing.

Thank you!