Video Slideshow of our Vertical Log Cabin Project

Started by Ernest T. Bass, April 29, 2009, 02:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernest T. Bass

Hey all- I threw together a bunch of pics from our cabin project now that we are nearly done w/ it..

http://www.vimeo.com/4399176

Have a great day!

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

jbos333

Wow! That is awesome! Do you have any building code to follow where you built that? I'd love to do one of those but I don't think I'd get approval from the inspector......

Ernest T. Bass

Yeah, we applied for a permit and everything. Our inspector is lazy and lenient; it's the health department that is a real pain in the rear... The deal is we're supposed to have an expensive big fancy outhouse built to their specs before anyone can step foot in the cabin. Not sure if we're going to be able to afford it any time soon though...

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

Cool!
Google Greensted Church sometime if you've not seen it. It's about 1200 years old IIRC.

glenn kangiser

That was an outstanding video and cabin, Andrew.  Great work. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

I'm impressed!  Looks really nice & you did a great job on the video as usual  [cool]
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Ernest T. Bass

Couldn't have done it without your guys' help! Awesome church.. Wouldn't take long to build a wall with logs like that.

poppy

Neat cabin.  I like the way you dried it in before insulating the floor.  I may try to do that for my cabin project.

Ernest T. Bass

We did that for cost reasons; the t&g makes a nice subfloor and finish floor for now.. However, a trip to the hospital to set a broken leg would have quickly negated the cost advantage. ;) I would recommend more scraps of plywood or something to temporarily give you a safer working surface.

pagan

Windpower

That was awesome !

very nice cabin too

I liked the way you showed the morticed joints popping together

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

MountainDon

Quote from: poppy on April 30, 2009, 12:15:52 PM
.... I like the way you dried it in before insulating the floor.  I may try to do that for my cabin project.

When building a conventional raised platform floor the subflooring is nailed to the rim joists as well as the cross joists. Maybe I'm being too conservative with my own approach than need be.  :-\
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Ernest T. Bass

Basically our "rim joist" is a 6x10 beam that the walls sit on, since vertical logs don't disperse their weight to the piers very effectively. I also aligned the 2x6 joists to the bottom of the perimeter beam so that the flooring doesn't have to be scribed to the logs... In hindsight, I think I would have just used deeper joists and eliminated the center floor girder. Because of the different settling rate compared to the perimeter piers, the floor has a slight bow over the center of the cabin. I was kind of expecting this; not sure it it'll even out in time once there's weight in the house (walls, furniture, etc).

NM_Shooter

Well, holy cow.  I don't know what I was expecting, but that far exceeds it.  I don't even know you but I am proud of your work!  Your dad must be beside himself. 

Very, very nice work. 

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

glenn kangiser

Showed your video to a friend, Andrew.  Got him thinking about copying you.

Ernest T. Bass

How flattering. :) There isn't too much about the system that I'd do differently... It would certainly be faster if straight logs like spruce were used. Also, if time was a factor (and money wasn't), or if you didn't have much help on hand, I think that built up dimensional trusses would look handsome enough and would be a lot easier than all the log notching. You could probably just use a double 2x plate on top of the log walls instead of the big log bonding beam like we have.

We just had the logs and I wanted to learn how to do the different notches and waste a bunch of time. ;)

speedfunk

NM_Shooter

How can you possibly consider learning those skills a waste of time? 

I bet 1 in 10,000 folks can't do that.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Ernest T. Bass

Quote from: NM_Shooter on May 05, 2009, 09:54:09 PM
How can you possibly consider learning those skills a waste of time? 

I bet 1 in 10,000 folks can't do that.

Well, there's an awful lot of folks out there who couldn't physically do it, so you might be right, but it really isn't as hard as it might seem as long as one takes it slow and doesn't take too much off.. ;) The pics are really forgiving; not all of the joints make it look like I knew what I was doing..

Yes, the time was definitely not wasted and I hope to be able to do a similar project again asap. Some people can't stand the thought of spending a half-hour carving a blind double-scribe square notch on a rafter, and I'll admit that it tried my patience at times, but I figure it's more important to forget about the time it takes to do a good job and that the speed will increase on it's own with practice.. At least that's what I kept telling myself. ;)

glenn kangiser

It wouldn't have half the character if you did it the easy way. :)