Another seizure story - asset seizure for crimes, but no one charged

Started by muldoon, December 07, 2010, 09:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muldoon

http://forfeiturereform.com/2010/12/03/will-the-dea-shut-down-every-major-music-festival-in-the-country/

Will the DEA shut down every major music festival in the country?

.. I could copy and paste, but the story has links to factual news stories and background info, might be better to just read the link. 

ScottA

More of the same, "We own you" additude thats so common in government these days. It's legalized theft, nothing more.

When law no longer applies to everyone, it applies to no one. -

sparks

Just imagine what they could have done to Max Yasgur....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Yasgur

Maybe they'll go after the new owners with some sort of convoluted statute of limitation thing

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

MountainDon

This sort of thing could get completely out of hand! This is frigging nuts!

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

fishing_guy

We had a problem with a gang task force in the Twin Cities using the forfeiture laws.  No accountability, lack of controls, and eventually it was found that some of the goods ended up either the officers possession, or given to friends/family.

They ended up disbanding the task force...

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

MushCreek

The government, at all levels, is addicted to tax money. They simply can't get enough of it to feed their habit. With the tax base drying up in recent years, they've had to resort to drastic measures to get their fix. I only see it getting worse.......
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Phssthpok

Quote from: MushCreek on December 08, 2010, 05:10:08 PM
The government, at all levels, is addicted to tax money. They simply can't get enough of it to feed their habit. With the tax base drying up in recent years, they've had to resort to drastic measures to get their fix. I only see it getting worse.......

So rather than buying stuff with stolen money, they've resorted to just stealing their stuff directly.