Finished!!!

Started by Dennis_Kuhn, December 07, 2005, 02:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis_Kuhn

I just wanted all of you to know that we have [size=18]finished[/size] our version of Victoria's cottage.  The trim is up, the paint is painted and the deck is done.  Oh my god I can't believe it.  If any of you are in the eye of the storm let me tell you that you can do it.  Just keep plugging along.  It is so worth it.  Believe me there were dark times.  Tears were shed along with some blood and alot of sweat.  but in the end the feeling of accomplishment washes all that away.  After only talking, thinking and generally living the building process for 1-1/2 years I'm having trouble breaking away from it.  In a wierd way I'm already missing it.  It still is the only thing that I want to talk about.  Ready to start planning for the next one.

Thank all of you who may have answered questions during this process.  Especially thanks to John for this forum and all his help.   [smiley=beer.gif]

peace,
dennis

John Raabe

A big round of applause and Congrats to Dennis and his crew!  ;D

Here is a link to the photos in the Owner Builder Gallery.
http://www.countryplans.com/kuhn.html

Watch it Dennis  ;), this house building thing can become addictive!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Amanda_931

Oh-my-gosh, it's finished.  And nice looking.

tjm73

I have looked at this house in the gallery many times and admired it a lot.   Nice job!

Jimmy C.

Great job Dennis! ;D
I really like that spiral staircase.
Could you share with the forum any of the things that you would do differently?
What do you know now that you didn't know then?
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Kevin

Congrats. Now seat back and enjoy.
Kevin

Shelley

It still is the only thing that I want to talk about.  Ready to start planning for the next one.  

Many people only do one.  But some of us have a sickness.  Starts with "we should have done......" or If we ever do this again, I want.....

Next thing you know you're up to your eyeballs in drywall dust once again.  Think how easy the next one will be ;)
It's a dry heat.  Right.

jwv

Beautiful home!!  You should be very proud.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Quote It still is the only thing that I want to talk about.  Ready to start planning for the next one.  

Many people only do one.  But some of us have a sickness.  Starts with "we should have done......" or If we ever do this again, I want.....

Next thing you know you're up to your eyeballs in drywall dust once again.  Think how easy the next one will be ;)

Boy, is that true. "I will never do this again...you know, next time I would..."

Judy

http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

achildofthesky

Nicely done! Enjoy your new home.

Patty

Daddymem

Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Dennis_Kuhn

Thank all of you for your kind words.  Being the one who usually sends John the photos I feel bad that I haven't publically acknowledged Becca.  Becca was my sweetie when we started this project, and my wife by the end.  Most people thought it a little crazy to be buliding a house and planning a wedding at the same time.   And they would be correct.   But we survived.  Anyway without Becca I would probably be still living in "Tent City"  on the land.  You can see her in the Gallery on the roof, in the harness, putting down the metal roof.  Just one of the tasks that she was more suited for than I.  I hope all of you have your own sweety to be building with.  

Peace,
dennis

tjm73

QuoteThank all of you for your kind words.  Being the one who usually sends John the photos I feel bad that I haven't publically acknowledged Becca.  Becca was my sweetie when we started this project, and my wife by the end.  Most people thought it a little crazy to be buliding a house and planning a wedding at the same time.   And they would be correct.   But we survived.  Anyway without Becca I would probably be still living in "Tent City"  on the land.  You can see her in the Gallery on the roof, in the harness, putting down the metal roof.  Just one of the tasks that she was more suited for than I.  I hope all of you have your own sweety to be building with.  

Peace,
dennis

Awesome and congrats.  I could only hope to meet a woman like that.

Any chance we might get a photgraphic walk through?  8-)  I for one would like to see a little more of how you built things and laid out the floorplan.  

glenn kangiser

Super nice Job, Dennis.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.