Started by glenn-k, December 03, 2005, 02:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Note: Copied from old forum

tjm73
Level 3 Member

Steel Siding?
« on: Nov 14th, 2005, 11:31am »       
I stopped by a friends place this past weekend and as we stood outside chatting, I noticed his pole barn constructed garage was covered in what appeared to be steel panel siding running vertically.  It also has a tin roof.

Immediatly I wondered if this would be a good option for siding a cabin.  It's durable and low maintenance.

benevolance
Level 3 Member

Re: Steel Siding?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 2:40pm »       
It is easy to install...Goes on fast and will last for several lifetimes...

It may not look very rustic...But yeah it makes for a killer camp cabin or shed

Pretty easy to get a tight warm building with tin on the outside...It stands up well to the elements allowing what insulation you have on the inside to work it's magic

I would suggest a coating on roofing and side wall tin to drastically reduce noise...It paints on and looks like pick up truck bed liner.....But it will eliminate most of that insufferable noise when it rains hard....And you can pick nice colors to help it look a little better

I tore down some old buildings several years back and got a few truck loads of tin....Made an awesome building out of it...Post and Beam walled it with the tin...Insulated the inside ..It is pretty slick...Just a storage building at the auto salvage but still...Pretty slick

Shelley
Level 4 Supporting Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 6:56pm »       
Why not?  We just put up a red iron metal building.

Interesting stuff.  No painting, no cracking.  Pretty much trouble free.  Have to take some care to button it up, but not hard.

The Glide House is using metal I think.  There's a place in Colorado that sells heavy gauge, non-galvanized stuff that will rust....and they get a premium.  Architectural salvage places are also getting a premium for old, heavy gauge, already rusted panels.

glenn kangiser
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 9:49pm »       
I've done it for various reasons in various places- it works fine.

You can use abrasive blades, plasma torch, various hand and power shears or a skill saw blade turned around backwards (loud- use earplugs) to cut it.  Use safety glasses with all of the above.  This stuff will get into your eyes.

benevolance
Level 3 Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 11:25pm »       
Glenn

what about Sawzall, chop saw, grinder... man you disappointed me there....

-Peter

glenn kangiser
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 11:31pm »       
Hey, Peter, I'm old -- failing memory and all--I've used the ones on your list also--

How about oxy-acetylene (for unpretty uses) - punch and hammer for holes-- air chisel panel cutter, rotohammer with a chisel -stop rotation type only- ?  Keep going---  
Here's another I've used - arc welder with helmet- usually when deck welding to cut openings for a/c etc. but can be used where you don't care about the looks and fire is not a problem.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2005, 11:39pm by glenn kangiser »       
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe from Architectural School Lesson

benevolance
Level 3 Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15th, 2005, 12:07am »
Glenn I once helped a guy out one time and he was using the welder to cut tin and barrells...It was cheaper than using The torch...

It shocked me at the time...But you know that the older we get the more we see the unlimited ability for people to be resourceful... I guess that this forum is just a extension of that kind of resourcefulness

In the junk yard growing up my father took a leaf spring off a truck...Cut it about 3 feet long... sharpened it about 8-10 inches on one side...and we used to mash it with a 4 pound ball peen hammer to cut out body panels in cars....I shudder to think of all the cars I have cut up with one of those leaf spring cutters...It was crude but worked awesome... My god what a blessing the sawzall and Chop saw have been to my life.

Spent many hours chiseling off steel, bolts, nuts, ball joints...etc....the joys of manual labour

-Peter

glenn-k

A friend sent me this picture and information about his cabin as an example of what can be done with steel siding.  His cabin was handbuilt by him over the last two years.  Not bad for a one man crew. A great place to relax in a beautiful location.  :)

Hello Glenn,

I have been following the Countryplans forum for about 3 years now, and your underground home, and during that period I have built a 26' x 28' cabin on top of a mountain in [the Eastern United States].  I wanted to reply to the message about steel siding use on cabins.   I have been satisfied with the steel siding so far.  The siding is installed over Advantech ½" OSB on 2x6 frame construction sidewalls.  Under the steel is 30# felt.  So far I have had no leaks, and the siding does not contribute to heat gain in the summer.  The fact that this siding will withstand high winds, insects, fire to some degree, and is very low maintenance, made it a very attractive choice for a cabin.  As I am the only one working on this project, it has taken me over two years to get to where I am now.  

An example of 2 years well spent.  Thanks for sharing that with us.
:)

glenn-k

benevolance
Level 3 Member

« Reply #10 on: Nov 19th, 2005, 8:18pm »       
Pretty sweet little cabin in my humble opinion

Great work...I would love to see the floorplan

-Peter

glenn kangiser
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: Nov 19th, 2005, 8:46pm »       
I'll check back with him and see if I can get more information.

Sunday - I sent a message - should hear back shortly.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2005, 8:15am by glenn kangiser »       
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe from Architectural School Lesson

tjm73
Level 3 Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 8:09am »       Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove
That little cabin looks really nice.  I'd kinda like to see the floorplan too.

benevolance
Level 3 Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 7:33pm »       
The slope of the roof with the double wide dormer...Pretty nice stuff...I am big on getting as much square footage out of the roof as possible...Nicely done.

I am a firm believer that yoy do not need a 40x70 cookie cutter to have enough room for a huge family.

26x 28 2 full stories and a basement is a huge house!

WTG!

-Peter

glenn kangiser
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 9:40pm »       
Looks like you're right - He has made use of nearly all reasonably usable space.

glenn-k

I received the cabin floor plan today and am posting it here for your viewing pleasure.

glenn-k

tjm73
Level 3 Member

« Reply #16 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 8:41am »       
I would NEVER have guessed it had 3 bedrooms.

John Raabe
Administrator

Whidbey Island, WA

« Reply #17 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 9:19am »       
Nice straight-forward design. Structure is pretty simple and the box shape is highly efficient. The sloping site and basement add bonus space that gives this house plenty of expansion and storage.

A good example of practical home design.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

benevolance
Level 3 Member

« Reply #18 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 9:36am »       
If the basement was utilized this house would be a monster for space.

I was thinking 3 bedrooms...With the basement there would be plenty of room for a laundry/Bath room, additional bedroom and a family rec room....

Pretty sweet little lakeside cottage

tjm73
Level 3 Member

« Reply #19 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 9:48am »       
on Nov 21st, 2005, 9:36am, benevolance wrote:
If the basement was utilized this house would be a monster for space.

I agree 100%!  The basement could yield an enormous family rec room (looking out on the woods behidn the house) AND a ton of storage and even a nice place for a washer and dryer.

Only thing I would have changed now having seen the floor plan is I woudl have extended the front kickout to the edge of the house so that the 3rd bedroom was a little bit bigger.

glenn kangiser
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 8:41pm »       
No space wasted on a hallway either.  That was a key point to an old fellow I worked on a job for one time.

I like it. :)

benevolance
Level 3 Member

« Reply #21 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 9:37pm »       
The hallway design was perfect...The only thing to quibble in my opinion is the lack of closet space in one of the bedrooms...

50 years ago we saw rooms without closets...Tell your 17 year old she has to have a room without a closet...Or your wife...Go on.. just try it

As a week-end retreat you can get away with lack of closet and cupboard space...This home is more than a woodsy remote retreat....So once it assumes the role of home it needs those amenities that people have come to expect...

I too would have liked to see the dormer go out to the edge of the  front porch...Create more space for the 2 smaller rooms and allow for a  closet in all the rooms.

But still a fantastic design...Opening up the basement would make this home awe inspiring!

-Peter

glenn kangiser
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 9:40pm »       
Some people use armoire's as closets rather than built in's also.  I don't know if they qualify as a legal closet for bedrooms or not.

Rental management co's don't consider a room a bedroom without a closet.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2005, 6:39am by glenn kangiser »       

benevolance
Level 3 Member

« Reply #23 on: Nov 22nd, 2005, 1:36am »       Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove
Glenn

I have a old armoire with 2 mirrors on the doors...quite nice..It was my great grandfathers... They are for the most part smallish and  people today have enough clothes for about 3 of them...I could do without a closet...But I have yet to meet a woman that would not pitch a fit at being limited to just one armoire for their clothes

and you are correct about the closet and bedroom classification...However any real estate agent or landlord I have ever seen does not share our views....I remember renting houses when in University. show up and the diningroom was one of the supposed bedrooms

And they say used car salesmen are sleazy >:(

benevolance

I still think this little house is a gem

Did you get any more updates on what the guy is doing for a basement on it Glen?

-Peter

glenn-k

Not yet but I know he checks in once in a while - possibly he will send me the information or I can contact him to find out.

Unfortunately this is one of the topics that had trouble getting here, but it made it with my crude copying attempt.  I have tried to get the relevant or interesting topics moved here - if someone is missing one they want to see here let me know and I will work on it as I can get to it.  Each one takes a while to edit and copy section by section.