more progress.........

Started by melwynnd, November 28, 2005, 04:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melwynnd

Hi everyone.  I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving.

We made some more progress on our trailer this weekend.  I bought the windows for the bedroom we are rebuilding and enough insulation to completely insulate that part of the house.  

Then we began to pull off the paneling.  Lo and behold the insulation in the walls looked brand new!!  It was nicely fitted and of good quality. However, they didn't find it necessary to fold the little paper flaps over and staple them to the 2x4's.  No wonder the trailer is drafty!!  The insulation butts right up to the aluminum siding on the outside with no sheathing so not stapling that paper left lots of little air leaks.  But, anyway I have lots of insulation to repair any we find that is damaged.

I would imagine if we didn't live in such a dry climate, the walls and insulation would not have been in such good condition.

There are a couple of studs that need planed 1/2" so we can put up the sheetrock.  The old windows are coming out, framed and insulated and the new frames built for the new windows(of course we couldn't just put the windows back where they were!!  That would be too easy).  Then in go the new windows, we'll staple the paper, put up 4 mil plastic and the sheetrock.  

I was wondering if anyone knew some simple ways to reinforce the stud walls since this is a trailer house and could be moved in the future.

I'll try to post more pictures this week.

Thanks

Sherry

glenn-k

Hi Sherry- I'm not sure what reason you have for needing to reinforce the wall so maybe my answer is not too great, but you could double the studs where necessary -  new window area etc.  Possibly use brackets at the top or bottom.