What to use between concrete foundation wall and mudsill?

Started by dougpete, March 24, 2010, 06:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougpete

Anybody know the best thing to use between the top of the concrete wall and the mudsill?  I have seen the thin rolls of foam, but did not know if that is the best option.

best regards,

Doug

MikeT

I used that foam gasket but then I also filled in with spray foam stuff where I noticed there was air infiltration....I will likely do a once over again with the spray foam but use one of those thermometers that can identify small and focused changes in temp---I can't recall the name right now but I have one and like it.

mt

Redoverfarm

Doug that is pretty well standard.  It compresses where it needs to and allows it to stand up in lower places where it dips "Supposeably" to fill the area.  I have used it several times and with the same results as Mike.  I am not sure if a heavy bead of caulking midline may assist under the foam but I don't think it would be harmful.  If you mention it to the foundation industry they say " Your foundation was not smooth or level" .

You might check to see if there is a heavier gauge.  Like everything else there is several different grades. If my memory is correct that is about 1/4" thick. 

dougpete

Thanks for your thoughts - thinking more about it I will probably use both the gasket and caulk as well. 

Doug