Weightlifting

Started by IronRanger, February 28, 2010, 02:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronRanger

Well, I'm 36 years old, 5'8" and 201 lbs and according to my bodyweight/bodyfat scale 32% body fat.    :o 

I started walking and progressed to jogging, which progressed to weightlifting.  It's a program called "Strong Lifts", which I've adapted a bit for my own goals.  It's a linear progression (you're always adding weight to the bar).  You alternate workouts.  For those who don't know, 5x5 means 5 sets of 5 repetitions.  You're allowed to "deload" after 3xfailure at the same weight.  I've been doing the program (rather, the program's been doing me  ;D) for 2 months now.

Workout A - Squat 5x5, Bench Press 5x5, Inverted Rows (progressing to barbell rows now) 3xFailure and Skullcrushers (direct tricep work) 3x8

Workout B - Squat 5x5, Overhead Press 5x5, Deadlift 1x5, and Pull-ups 3xFailure

Alternate workouts.  Week 1:  "A-B-A" and Week 2:  "B-A-B"

So, yes, it's squatting 3 times a week.  It gets brutal as you're always adding weight to the bar.

This ain't my first go-round, but it's been 10 years since I've lifted weights.  It's been an eye-opener.

Anyone else hit the weights? 
"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as authority"- G.Massey

"Freedom is just Chaos, with better lighting." - Alan Dean Foster

MushCreek

Must get harder as you get older. I tried a similar regimen, and I gradually got weaker, not being able to do as many reps as I could when I started. I'm 56, and I do more with cardio and interval training, after falling on my face with the weights. I do lift some, but nowhere near to the point of fatigue.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

IronRanger

QuoteI tried a similar regimen, and I gradually got weaker, not being able to do as many reps as I could when I started.

If you ever look further into that, you'll get hammered with "eat more, sleep more, take longer rests between sets".   

QuoteI'm 56, and I do more with cardio and interval training...

It depends on your goals, but more muscle = more calories burned at rest.  I don't want the bulky (hypertrophic) look, so I decided on strength training.  So far, my muscles have gained a lot of density, but not a lot of bulk. 

The best part is that I've gained weight- from 191 lbs to 201 lbs- but everyone tells me I've "lost weight";  I've lost fat, but gained muscle.

This Spring I'll train for weight loss, but right now my goal is muscle.  I definitely don't want the skinny-fat look.  (big belly, stick legs and arms)

I can't believe I focused on bench press, shoulder presses, bicep curls and tricep curls for so many years.  This is a much more efficient workout.

Perhaps you can browse the forums over at stronglifts dot com.  You can post videos of your exercise form and they'll give advice on correcting it.  They're also great for encouragement.

"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as authority"- G.Massey

peternap

I used to lift. What you're doing is fine at 36 but as you get older, you need to start paying attention to your joints. They take a pounding over the years and start fighting back.

As you get older, how you look becomes less important than what you can do. As that happens, you need to start concentrating less on raw strength and more on flexibility and endurance. That's why we get smarter as we get older. Instead of pushing my truck out of the mud. I get the Tractor and drag it out ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

IronRanger

I used to lift for vanity, that's what the 10,000 sets of bicep curls were for.   ;D  Now I'm lifting for overall, useful strength.  Is there some vanity involved?  Absolutely.  I'm tired of lookin' like a tub of guts.   c* <---me drinking milk instead of beer these days.   :D

devildog

I workout pretty regular.just enough to keep things moving, It makes me feel better.

When I was 15 I could bench press 315,now at 41,i might get up 265 on a good day. I just dont have the energy anymore

If you keep it up, youll more than likely get fit.AS far as weight loss goes, 2 months ago I weighed 227,this morning I was 200. All I did was keep my calorie intake below 2000 a day. I couldnt believe how easy it was.There are all kinds of web sites wiith about any food calorie you need for free.

Good luck to you ,I hope you reach your goals. Consistency pays off
Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

peternap

Quote from: devildog on March 01, 2010, 05:47:47 PM
I workout pretty regular.just enough to keep things moving, It makes me feel better.

When I was 15 I could bench press 315,now at 41,i might get up 265 on a good day. I just dont have the energy anymore

If you keep it up, youll more than likely get fit.AS far as weight loss goes, 2 months ago I weighed 227,this morning I was 200. All I did was keep my calorie intake below 2000 a day. I couldnt believe how easy it was.There are all kinds of web sites wiith about any food calorie you need for free.

Good luck to you ,I hope you reach your goals. Consistency pays off
Darrell

I hate to admit this but my waist had gotten to 42". Last summer it was 32 and it's 34 right now. Kinda hard on the wardeobe ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MushCreek

For a while, we had a personal trainer at work, and we each got 2 hours a week with him. He concentrated on yoga and a gentle mix of weights and aerobics. The yoga is great for flexibility. I work a lot on core strength and trying to keep my weight under control. I got lots of good results- 6" off of the waist, lost 35 lbs., lower blood pressure, lower resting pulse. It came as a surprise that I hit a 'wall' with the weight and strength training. I was told to rest more and eat more, but I don't sleep well as it is, and really don't have the appetite to eat more. Now I'm in a maintenance program to try to hold on to the gains (and losses) I made. I have a definite goal in mind- I have a house to build! I need to be in the best shape possible to get 7 acres of land into shape, and build a house and barn.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

IronRanger

QuoteWhen I was 15 I could bench press 315

Heh.  That was my max bench too- don't ask what my other lifts were, 'cause I don't remember.  I did 315 at 163 lbs bodyweight.

QuoteIf you keep it up, youll more than likely get fit.AS far as weight loss goes, 2 months ago I weighed 227,this morning I was 200. All I did was keep my calorie intake below 2000 a day.

Yep, I'll be dropping 20% off my maintenance calories.  So, if you require 2000 calories a day, you'd drop 400 calories for a total of 1600 calories per day.  It's more individualized, especially for women. 

QuoteGood luck to you ,I hope you reach your goals. Consistency pays off

Yes, it does.  Thanks.

QuoteI got lots of good results- 6" off of the waist, lost 35 lbs., lower blood pressure, lower resting pulse.

For me, it's my blood sugar.  My Mom's side is Native and there's a lot of diabetes in the Native populations these modern days. 

QuoteI have a definite goal in mind- I have a house to build! I need to be in the best shape possible to get 7 acres of land into shape, and build a house and barn.

That's a point I was going to make too- weightlifting will bring big gains when you're building your home or cabin.  Lots of aerobic/anaerobic activity and heavy lifting.  Or maybe I just need to build a house.   :)