Band or crimp PEX fittings?

Started by river place, August 14, 2009, 02:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river place

I'd like to justify the Wisbro tools but just can't do it on my small project.  I'll be putting in a water heater, shower, toilet and two sinks in a bathroom we're building at one end of our barn.  I see two types of crimps/clamps in the big box store and was wonder which is best.  One type uses a stainless steel ring with notches on it and the crimper pinches the band while the other uses copper rings that are compressed. 

I also saw a copper ring with a rubber end on it which was called professional type but looked past them as I didn't need another choice.

harry51

Here there's a plumbing and electrical contractor's supply store that sells the Wirsbro products and will rent the tools, all the way from the hand operated one to the hydraulic one for the big stuff.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

NM_Shooter

Oh man.  Get out the popcorn.

I prefer the crimp rings, as the tools are less expensive.  You also don't have a time limit on putting the fittings together.  It is easy to dry-run your manifolds and fittings, then just crimp it all together once it is all in place.  With Wirsbo, you stretch out the compression band, then have xx amount of seconds to get it in place before it constricts.

Wirsbo is also good, because if the ring is in place, it is secure.  You don't have to check it with a go / nogo gauge. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

My number one choice would be Wirsbo, Uni-something I think they are now called.

Having said that I have one of the tools that uses the stainless steel crimp rings. I am happy with it; one tool does 1/2" and 3/4, maybe 1" too but I don't remember for sure.

Having said that I've also used NM_Shooters tool that does the black copper rings. It works well too.

One small thing I like about the s/s ring tool is that the tool does not need to have clearance to encircle the fitting/pipe. It works off to the side.

I'd buy what you can afford and if one type has more readily available rings/bands that would be a big part of my consideration.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

OH yeah - Uponor.... I think is spelled correct.

I have the Wirsbo tool and like it ... I think with the PEX naturally wanting to shrink to it's original size then it is the natural way to go.  The bands force it smaller against it's wanting to be bigger but I have seen lots of them and people seem to be happy with them.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Uponor!!!  Well I got the "U" right at least.   ;D

Let me add that the two systems I used all had nice dry connections when tested. The only set spot was a pipe thread fitting.  d*

I think Harry's idea of obtaining a renta Wirsbo/Uponor has great merit.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.