Pole Building Construction

Started by Don_P, May 05, 2009, 07:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

I've been doing some reading and have come across some older empirical, experience based versus engineering based, details and articles that might be of interest. Current code requires engineering but under "normal" conditions the results are pretty similar.

This is a quote from one of the papers I was reading.
"Two basic types of pole construction exist. One type has its poles cut off at the first floor level and is tied to the first floor. A better type of construction from a structural standpoint is to have the pole system run integrally through the structure and rigidly tied into the house frame at the first floor and the rafters."

This is a detail of post bracing from the book below;

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11992924/Pole-Building-Construction

These post embedment tables are in the book above but are originally from an out of print book from the '70's put out by the American Wood Preservers' Institute. This is what started my googling today, cleaning out my desk I had xeroxed these tables some decades ago. Probably oughta clean out the desk more often.

There is also some good info in this older publication from the Forest Products Labs;
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrp/fplrp033.pdf

bayview

I remember buying this Pole Building Construction book over 30 years ago . . . It's packed away somewhere.

A book full of diagrams, floor plans.  Very helpful.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Windpower

My 40' X 80' pole barn has trusses spanning the 40'

poles 8' on center

the trusses have knee braces down to the poles

I think it is about 25 to 30 years old -- it's a "Harris" brand

hopefully be in the barndominium this next winter

I hauled the solar panels up there today

I now have 12   205 watt panels

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

diyfrank

Thanks for the link Don_p.   :)
There's some usefull charts on depth and pad dia. for building on slopes.
Home is where you make it