Muzzleloaders

Started by MountainDon, May 02, 2009, 12:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

This is aimed at Peter (Nap)   :D

Peter what do you think of the Mossberg 50 cal muzzleloader barrel unit for the 500 pump?

Also what about the T/C Triumph?

I don't know much about muzzleloaders but find them interesting. Anything you can tell me or direct me to will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

That's a bad question to ask me Don. I don't consider either a muzzleloader.

That said, my son had one of the mossburg's and it worked very well. Like a lot of inlines, a little hard to prime. but otherwise, OK.

I don't know anything about the TC.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

I understand what you mean by that Peter. I was thinking that if someone already had a 500 pump with assorted barrels, maybe the addition of the 50 cal muzzleloader barrel could be an interesting diversion and maybe even handy ti have at some point.  ??? ???  They don't cost all that much.

I scored 500 Remington #209 today for $29; not real cheap but not bad either I figure.  :-\
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Hi Don, I don't have the Mossberg.. but I do have a T/C Encore in .50 cal that I like a lot.

I'm hunting different barrels for that T/C now.. I'd like to have a .223 and a .308 for it.  Problem is that you do have to use a different fore end when you switch from the muzzle loader to a center fire.

Down side of the T/C is that the receiver has to be papered with the ATF if you buy it new.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

peternap

Quote from: NM_Shooter on May 03, 2009, 02:38:54 PM
Hi Don, I don't have the Mossberg.. but I do have a T/C Encore in .50 cal that I like a lot.

I'm hunting different barrels for that T/C now.. I'd like to have a .223 and a .308 for it.  Problem is that you do have to use a different fore end when you switch from the muzzle loader to a center fire.

Down side of the T/C is that the receiver has to be papered with the ATF if you buy it new.

-f-

There's always used Frank! ;D

I have not built a Contender receiver from scratch but have built falling blocks based on Frank DeHaas design. It shouldn't be too hard. I wonder If TC would sell a parts kit. Warren Center would have, but I haven't talked to him for 30 years and he may be dead. He's certainly retired.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

Yeah, but I'm getting mad about used prices.

My daughter Mel and I went to a gunshow today.  I was stunned at the prices that junk guns are getting at shows.  Quality firearms are incredibly high. 

Even the FFL papered guns were high...not just the peer to peer non-FFL deals. 

M2 ball ammo was selling for $10 in a Garand clip!!!!!!  8 rounds!

I'm boycotting shows for awhile, and keeping an eye on the paper.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Peter, do you have any opinions on percussion cap kits?

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on May 05, 2009, 12:14:05 AM
Peter, do you have any opinions on percussion cap kits?

Do you mear the rifle kits?

MountainDon

Yes, that's what I mean.

peternap

I've nnever built a kit and always recommend against them...with three exceptions.

Jim Chambers kits. Chambers locks are the acknowledged best in the lock industry. Jim is a nice fellow, is extremely concerned with being historically correct and is fussy about providing the best materials in his kits possible. They aren't cheap, but you get what yu pay for. Don't buy one (or anything if you can help it) from track of the wolf. Get the kit direct from Jim.

Don Stith. Don is the acknowledged expert in this country, on Hawken and Hawken style rifles. He moved to Roanoke Va and I lost reack of him. Great kits, expensive but like Jim, top quality.

Dennis Glazner. Dennis is the expert on Gillespie Southern Mountain Rifles. It's a family thing that goes back to the 1800's. I can put you in touch if you want to contact him. He should know how to reach Don also.

MountainDon

Thanks Peter!!

FWIW, I did a wee bit of digging and found

Jim Chambers Flintlocks    http://www.flintlocks.com/index.htm

and I found that Don Stith is alive and kicking and will be putting in a personal appearance in July at Dixon's Gunmakers Fair on Hawken rifles    http://dixonmuzzleloading.com/index.php?section=gunmakersfair&link=seminardetail&seminarID=35

I also found Dennis Glazener    http://home.att.net/~t.glazener/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
and news on him
http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/news/2007/0110/Seniors/

MountainDon

And a question Peter. I see single triggers and double 'set' triggers. In all practicality are there any real advantages to the double trigger setup? I've been mainly looking a Hawkens and have seen some with sibles, some double sets.  ???   It seems that the set trigger allows fine tuning of the required pull to fire.  Yes?

peternap

The real advantage to a double set trigger is that it gives you the opyion of the unset trigger for fast shots...or the set trigger for an extremely light trigger for aimed fire.

There are single set triggers which are OK but not my taste and single unset triggers wich are better suited to fowlers, muskets, etc. Most half stock rifles have double set triggers.

There are also double set triggers that cannot be fired from the unset trigger. Except for target rifles, these should be avoided like the plague.