Louisiana Pacific Smart Panel Siding, your opinion ?

Started by Arky217, October 27, 2008, 10:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arky217

I have read some reports that LP Smart Panel siding is the cat's meow; in other places, I've read that it deteriorates as bad as conventional pressed wood siding. Anyone have experience using this product ?

Thanks,
Arky

rdzone

Arky,

I can't speak for its longevity but I just finished siding my cabin with it. look here.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=1499.120

Not to bad to work with.  The 10' sheets cover things up quickly.  if you have any specific questions let me know.
Chuck

MountainDon

FWIW, I read someplace, but don't have a clue where anymore, that LP had some problems with their first gen product. However, apparently they solved whatever their problem was.   
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

At one time here on Oregon (and elsewhere, I presume), there were many, many reports of LP siding failing.  I believe there was a class action suit or a large scale recall where lots of re-siding was done. 

But I believe that was many years ago, and LP has improved their product since that time.

That said, I still prefer NOT to use their product.

mt

Woodswalker

About 10 yrs ago LP had big problems with their siding not holding up under moist conditions.  There was some sort of settlement where LP covered part of the cost of replacing the product.  Most of the 180 homes in my subdivision (Olympia, WA) were built with LP siding, and most owners have replaced it over the years.  My house had the LP siding replaced with plastic before I bought, so I did not have to bear the replacement cost.  As recently as last summer, I've seen houses here having all the LP siding replaced.  Very few left that still have it.  Personally, I would not take a chance with any LP siding product.