Basements and Bedrock

Started by Erin, July 02, 2008, 11:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erin

Just judging by the "soil samples" we did while fencing, I thought our biggest problem would be the clay composition of our soil when putting in the foundation (walkout basement). 
But doing some actual soil map research (check this site out, if you've never seen it! http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/WebSoilSurvey.aspx ) I've discovered we might have a bigger problem in the form of bedrock!  Soft bedrock, mind you, in the form of sandstone or shale, but rock nonetheless. 

So what are the thoughts on this?   ???
Move to a more building-friendly spot?
Build on the rock as best we can (what's better than bedrock, afterall)?

(We really like the spot we've chosen as it's tucked behind a hill, so barely visible from the country road.  It's sheltered on the north by another hill, but not actually built on much of a slope...  Just enough for a walk-out.)
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

John_C

My FL house was built on coral rock as are almost all the houses in the Keys.  I would think the sandstone would be similar and not that much of a problem. 

Does the sandstone perc well enough for a septic system?

John Raabe

If it is stable rock that won't break up or lift with frost you can likely pin your foundation to it and just go up from there. Of course, it might not let you have a basement, and you likely won't know that until you start digging. ::)

Check with local excavators and foundation subs as they will know the area and the options that are likely to work. This is a very local combination of issues and there will be a local solution.
None of us are as smart as all of us.