CIMA Cellulose Insulation Manufacturers Association

Started by yevgen, May 03, 2008, 01:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yevgen

Hi!

Very often on American sites much talk about the cellulose insulation, "CIMA Cellulose Insulation Manufacturers Association".

http://www.cellulose.org/

In Russia recently has something similar, but real information about it yet little.

Glenn, and the other participants of this forum,

Tell us about the experience of the Cellulose Insulation :

1. What changes in the structure heater observed in 15 - 20 years of operation?

2. Did it live mouse?

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this Cellulose Insulation ?

Interested in any information on the operation, links, sites, forums and so on.

I invite all parties to a discussion forum

Excuse me for typographical errors d*,

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Yevgen

glenn kangiser

I haven't used Cellulose insulation myself, yevgen.  It appear that "insulation" translates to the word heater in English -- but the proper word would be "insulation."  It slows the speed of heat exchange between hot and cold.
1.  Settling in the insulation in 15 to 20 years?  I have no experience with that but others may and hopefully we will get some comments soon.

2.  Do mice or rodents live in the cellulose filled wall spaces.  Again - I have no experience with this.  Any one else with experience on this?

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this Cellulose Insulation ?  (Properly worded)

Fiberglass is the most common insulation used here, yevgen, however some do use cellulose and other types . 

I see you also use rock wool there from some of the pictures you linked.  How is it's cost compared to cellulose?

Thanks for your comments, yevgen.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

yevgen

Yes, I use "ROCKWOOL", but most often cheaper Fiberglass insulation type "URSA" or "Isover".

I've heard that Cellulose insulation has long been used in the U.S., so I very much want to hear feedback about this material.

In Russia Cellulose insulation is sold under the brand name "ECOWOOL".

In my opinion, Cellulose insulation is good that the wall frame home starts "breathe", that is steam passes through it, which largely has greatly improved climate in the house, without any forced mechanical ventilation systems.

Why are completely wooden (not Frame!) House is always "easy to breathe?" The polyethylene films in the wall - this is evil! The wall itself obliged propskat through the steam.

It is above all a normal / bad microclimate, the presence / absence of condensate, humidity / dryness, etc.

Remember, in a wooden house is always completely different microclimate. And why?

Because pine, spruce across the fibers give steam to an average 0.06 mg / (m * h * Pa),

And it means you're in the house will not only warm in winter and cool in summer, but humidity will always be comfortably low.

There will be no polyethylene feeling plastic bag in which you wrapped together with the house.

But in the Frame House, contrary to the universal type of judgement "Frame House - greenhouses" actually implement different microclimate, not worse than in completely wooden house!

Why?

Because the coefficient bandwidth pair from ECOWOOL approximately equal to 0.3 mg / (m * h * Pa), and Cellulose insulation does not need protection from steam;

BUT! ECOWOOL is young enough material in Russia, and experience of its use is not yet any, so I want to discuss this with you because you have long been using it.

--------------------

Excuse me for grammar and punctuation errors, and besides, I do not know the specific terms of American construction, unfortunately.

But I think that the meaning of the post you will understand in general terms,

Best regards,

Yevgen

glenn kangiser

We are aware of the slight language barrier, yevgen.  You do very good to do so well in English. I know nothing of Russian, although my great grandparents were from Lithuania and many in the early family could speak it.  We understand most of your entire post quite well and if we don't we can ask or figure out what you mean.  Thanks for taking time to post on our forum.  We enjoy having members from all parts of the world.

Hopefully someone will have experience here with cellulose.

Some of the newer houses here are sealed so tightly that they do have bad air and moisture problems. 

The Tyvek and other house wraps come with new problems otf their own.  Thay allow ome vapor through but many times they will have a leak and allow water to get in but not let it out causing rot and mold problem.  Tarpaper or aphalt impregnated felt do not have that problem, nor do they seal as tight.  thi is a case where the old way is the better way.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.