Using wide crown stapes instead of nails on sheathing...

Started by NM_Shooter, May 01, 2008, 02:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Any strength benefits to using wide crown staples instead of nails for sheeting walls with OSB?  Or are staples more prone to pulling out?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MikeT

I have used staples on my plywood (not OSB) sheathing.  I have increased the spacing from the nailing requirements, but mostly because I wanted to pass, and didn't want the inspector saying that the spacing was too far apart.   I had to pull off some plywood that was stapled on, and it was enough of a pain, that I think they hold pretty darn well.

I asked my inspector and he provided minimum acceptable length and crown size.

mt

MountainDon

Interesting question. The IRC2003 states either nails or staples can be used, 6" spacing on edges, 12" on intermediates. But of course it doesn't say what's best. PEG will have an opinion on that though.

I do know that if you use ring shank nails (or spirals) those are much harder to pull especially once they've been in place a while.

If you use an air tool for installation be sure to have the air pressure set so they don't overdrive.

Frank, depending how our respective construction schedules work out I have a Bostitch framing air nailer you could borrow.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

Setting the pressure on the compressor so the staples do not overdrive:  Critical for my inspector.  He fails people because of this regularly.  If a nail or staple pierces through the first layer of plywood skin, he wants a correctly driven nail/staple next to it.

mt

MountainDon

Makes sense to me. It may mean having to give some a whack with a hammer, but that's the way it is.

I think that's why they don't allow staples for roofing anymore. Too much air would break/crack the shingle and lead to wind damage.  :-\

I also have an old Senco roofing stapler, I haven't used in a long time, not sure how long a staple it will shoot.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

I have a hammer next to my pneumatic stapler for just this reason.

mt

NM_Shooter

Thanks Don, I appreciate the offer.

I have a Paslode framing air nailer (quite possibly the first time I have felt true love for a tool).  I also have a Paslode stapler that I used to attach lathe wire to my house prior to stucco.  I used staples to attach 1X8 pine ceiling to the tops of my vigas because I was worried about the dry pine splitting, and I have a ton of staples left... I think they are 2" long but don't remember for sure. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Staples: the IRC stated 1 1/2" for 15 ga. and 1 3/4" for 16 ga. Minimums for 1/2 sheathing.

John_C

Usually the staples used for sheathing are 1/2" crown which is a medium crown width.  Wide crown 1" staples are roofing staples.  IMO the staples are more difficult to pull out than common nails.  As they are driven the legs splay a little in one direction or another, in any case they don't stay parallel. which is what makes them so hard to pull out. They also seem less likely to split a stud with their narrow gauge.  Yikes, I'm talking myself into a medium crown staple gun......  I take it all back. ;D

I never used them on my house but I built several strip planked boats using 1-1/2  &  2" medium crown staples.  Many, many thousands of staples.

glenn kangiser

A contractor sold me a used 1" one and said he liked it for installing sheetrock-- I don't know about code for that use but it works great and you want them just under the surface for that.  Easy cover with joint compound.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I don't now about code or not, but I do know that staples can be used for the exterior type of gypsum board, but only if the staple does not break the covering.

PEG688

Can't use staples on exterior sheathing around here and any where  IRC 2003 and beyond / newer is enforced.

Nails only , not enought shear strenght in a staple they say , and IF they get wet , or mainly the OSB gets wet , then staple have almost no holding power , Hurricane Andrew brought that out.

First the roof shingles blew off OSB got soaked , then blew off as well , once one sheet goes , or a window breaks and the wind got in it was bye bye house.

I use staples sometimes on remodels , but no longer if it will be getting inspected. 

YMMV depending on location.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .