RaftRmate and alternatives

Started by MikeT, September 10, 2007, 09:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I got tar paper on my roof this weekend (90 degrees and a mild wind on the Oregon coast), and I have my shingles ordered.  My roof is a 12:12 pitched with rafters and I will be installing my frieze blocks soon.   I plan to be using 2x12s with a 45 degree cut at the top and notches with screens behind them for my frieze blocks.  

But what should I do for creating a space for ventilation between the vented frieze blocks and the ridge vent at the top?  I know Owen Corning makes RaftRmate, but are there other ways of creating this space that still allows for insulation to mostly fill the rafter bays?

Thanks,
mt

PEG688

Mike do you mean anti- rotation / bird blocks when you say Frieze blocks?

What are the rafters? 2 x12 ?

And what R value are you going to be insukating to?

Insul-tray is another brand,

http://www.insulationsolutions.com/products/insultray/information.html

Icyrene could be a answer higer R value no venting , but spendy.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MikeT

PEG, yes I mean anti rotation blocks with holes or notches with screens that serve as venting spaces.  The rafters are 2x12s.  I was thinking of insulating to R30 or so (please advise if this is a good choice).  I am trying to be as penny-wise as possible, so I was wondering what people did before RaftRmate came along?  I was thinking if there was a cheaper alternative.   I am thinking that the 30# tar paper is a tried and true strategy that has survived the Tyvek boom, so I wonder what other time tested strategies might be.

mt

PEG688

With R -30 you'll have about a two inch space , just don't mash the insulation up into the bay and go without any type tray. Core-vent at the ridge  and your good to go.

Are you the roofer or are you on someones list? I wouldn't insulate till it's roofed either way , lots can happen , weather can change etc.  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MikeT

Thanks, PEG.  I am the roofer-- OSHA approved roofing harness, toe boards, etc.  Roof jacks will follow.  Luckily the lumber yard will deliver my shingles onto the roof because of the toe board and my 40 foot ladder laying on the 45 all the way to the peak.  I will be using Malarky 50 year, high wind rated architectural composition--black--( because black never changes color if you have to replace shingles).

I won't insulate until I get the shingles on, the hurricane clips in, the blocks in, the a35s the engineer called for nailed on and a few other things.  

I feel like it is going so slowly but then I realize I only broke ground a year ago last week.  

mt