Camp Hope~ It's started! (Ozarks)

Started by camp hope, August 01, 2007, 10:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camp hope

Glenn or John, I have a question for ya. We decided to make it a 1 1/2 story with a Bungalow roof dormer on the loft half for more headroom. Do you have an idea where I can get plans to do that, or maybe some pictures on a website, or something? Any ideas would help. Thanks!

b-t-w, we started on our well today. They dug 190 ft so far and just hit rock! It's kinda scary thinking how deep they might have to go!  :-/  

We think we might have some electricity out here within a few weeks too, hopefully. They were marking where they were gonna put the poles today.

So, we are excited. Things are getting done. I will post more pics soon.

Thanks!

Billie  :)

glenn kangiser

John will be missing for a couple of days.

Here's one example.  http://www.above-it-all.co.uk/dormer_windows/dormer_extensions.htm

Framing members are usually at least doubled at the bearing sides of the dormers as I recall.  PEG is the guy who really knows this stuff.

Check page 45 of this pub

http://www.awc.org/pdf/WCD1-300.pdf

and you can download it for off line or print for off screen reference also.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Very good grasshopper , Ah ,  :-/I mean Glenn ;D

That will work Camp H. dbl the rafters like that photo of Glenn's , of course theres  a bit of backing / nailers missing but you'll "see " those as you sheet the roof and / or hang your dry wall.

Similar to what your thinking about.

G/L PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Oh Sure -- now I'm grasshopper. :-/

Thanks PEG. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Beats Sassy's nickname fer ya  ;D  , althought they both start with a "G"  ;D Hehehhehheheheee! Jeesh I crack me up !
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Sometimes you're just too funny, PEG.  At my expense even.  :-/ :o

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

camp hope

Thanks so much. Pictures are great. Couldn't have come at a better time! Appreciate all your help!

Billie

glenn kangiser

peg_688

Billie asked for a completed shot , I was driving by the place today so here it is , [highlight]I did not side the place [/highlight], the home owner did. Looks good from the road.

jraabe

Very handsome place PEG. Looks like it belongs on that site.

glenn-k

Looks like an old homestead house.  

peg_688

Looks like it belongs on that site.

It does now  ;D

But ya,  I know what ya mean,  it is a old dairy , the  Sullivan farm  , on Crosby Rd , on the "S" turns right after sunset beach going toward the base.  

camp_hope

Thanks for the picture of the completed house. It looks good. We are going to put log siding on ours.  :)

MountainDon

I see 'em.   :)Do other photos show? There's always the chance that the host site for the photos was down for a short time.  :-/

camp_hope

:D Hey there. Hope everyone had a great Holiday weekend and rested from their labor! I personally had to work most of it, but my hubby and kids got a break since we had family come in. It was good for them! Here are some pics of G-ma, my kids and cousins. They had a great time at the pool.

Here is our neice Baylee with one of our kittens.

GREAT NEWS~~~ We got our well in!! YEAH!!
It took a few days, cause they had some mechanical problems, but they ended up going 290 feet. over 200 had to be cased because we didn't hit rock until 190 feet. That is really hard to believe since we grow rocks here in the Ozarks! I am not kidding! Our neighbors couldn't believe it. So, in this area, I guess we did pretty good, as far as the depth and everything. We heard horror stories about 900 ft wells around here! YIKES!!

:)Praise the Lord!! :)

We are going to do the well pump ourselves, so if anyone can think of any "heads-up" thoughts, please let us know! We have never done any of this before!!  :-?

Oh, and our electricity will be up within a few weeks! Wow, won't that be wonderful!

We have done some more on the house. We decided to go with a 1 1/2 story, in case I didn't say that yet. It's gonna be a four bedroom, 2 bath house. Two bedrooms will be above the garage.

Here are some pics:

Here's the guy doing most of this hard work, my hubby, Jerry. He's doing such a great job, and I really appreciate all his hard work!

He's gonna take a little break and go to his moms for a few days to get some work done for her before cold weather sets in. His Daddy passed away in April, and so she is needing some help. While he is there, he's gonna try and sell our min pin puppies who are ready to go! They are so cute!

You know, God has blessed us so much by allowing us to build this house, physically and financially! We are so blessed. We can't wait to see how beautiful it is out here in the fall! Wow!

Be blessed, we look forward to seeing everyones progress. It is so encouraging to see other peoples work and endurance!

glenn-k

Great on the well.  I am a driller also and can probably add a few ideas there.  Did you get production figures on the well -- gallons per foot, static level -etc?

The roof looks like it could develop some pretty good outward force under load - forcing the walls out.  Is there a bracing - collar tie - etc. support plan?

Sassy

I want a kitty & puppy - they are soooo cute  :)  Great progress, sounds like everything is working out great!  Nice looking family  8-)
I want a pool, too  :'(  I'll just have to settle for the river during the summer - it's wonderful but I can't just walk out the door & jump in  :(

camp_hope

Glenn, I will have to ask my husband about that, I'm not sure.  :-?

I wish I could say the pool was ours, Sassy, but it was at the hotel my mother-in-law was staying at. I don't even have water yet!! hee hee! We travel in town and tote it in a storage, then use a pump to put it into our rv. FUN!! We are so ready to move on from there!!  :-/

Sassy

We've had siamese cats, my parents had dobermans & Glenn had one of those miniature pinscher.  They are just so cute!  You don't have to ask you husband - just had to comment on them  :)  I'm sure you will be able to sell them in a heartbeat!

glenn-k

I had a full size Dobie and a Whippet actually. :)

glenn-k

Sassy is confused right now  ;D  Heading off down the hill to go to work and making hurried replies.

peg_688

I'm confused as well all I see are red "X's" wheres the photos?  :'(

camp_hope

Hmmmm. That is weird that some can see them and others can't. Sorry.  :'( Maybe the administrators can figure it out. I know I use a digital SLR camera, and those pictures take a lot of memory. I uploaded them to photobucket though, and they transferred over ok, so I am not sure what it is.

Like I said before, we have a blog at www.thompsonfamilycamphope.blogspot.com where we have the similar pics posted if you would like to check it out.  

Sorry again. I'm confused too!  :o