Author Topic: dimensioning cutout for stovepipe  (Read 99 times)

Offline MikeC

• CountryPlans member
dimensioning cutout for stovepipe
« on: November 21, 2020, 01:11:12 PM »
Hello -
After exhausting my key word supply in fruitless searches I'm still trying to find the answer to:

installing stovepipe through the roof, at a 12/12 pitch, double wall insulated, 6" OD with 2" clearance for a total of a 10" total OD (imaginary) cylinder; what is the formula to calculate the roof cutout?

It seems there will be a minor axis (10") and the major axis running up the roof, how to calculate the major axis?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mikec

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
Re: dimensioning cutout for stovepipe
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 01:58:46 PM »
Yes, the perfect hole would be an ellipse with a major/minor axis.

When I cut the hole through our roof I used the flashing as a guide to the maximum size of the hole. I set the center of the hole by drilling a 3/8" hole at the center. Since the roof already had the metal roofing installed this was more like a retrofit chimney, so I had to deal with cutting both the wood decking and the metal.

The actual cut out was a series of short straight line cuts through the multiple layers plus some finishing off with a sawzall. The hole was not pretty but it is all hidden from view and all the clearances were 2 inches or better.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

Offline Don_P

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 02:38:08 PM »
Blocklayer does have some calcs for it.
Quick and dirty, the line length ratio for a 12/12 is 1.414 so 10" as the level base of the triangle x 1.414=14.14" as the major axis (hypotenuse) plus some fudge for sheathing thickness.

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 04:30:30 PM »
Blocklayer does have some calcs for it.
Quick and dirty, the line length ratio for a 12/12 is 1.414 so 10" as the level base of the triangle x 1.414=14.14" as the major axis (hypotenuse) plus some fudge for sheathing thickness.

That would make for a much more self-satisfying "job well done"   ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

Offline MikeC

• CountryPlans member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 10:08:11 AM »
That's just what I was looking for - couldn't find the reference on blocklayer though.

I may be wrong, but it appears that as long as the cut opening edges are kept parallel to the pipe, roofing thickness wouldn't be an issue?

Thanks, Don & Don!

Offline Don_P

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 03:33:03 PM »
Here's the blocklayer link I saw;
https://www.blocklayer.com/pipe-angleeng.aspx

Yup you got it, if the cuts are plumb then the sheathing thickness is a non issue.

another way with a calculator 10/(cos 45)
or to get line length ratios 1/(cos roof pitch angle).
Carpenters used to keep some line length ratios in their head of common roof pitches. The ratio of the base of the triangle to the hypotenuse, jobsite simple trig. Then if you know the horizontal span, multiply that by the LLR to get the rafter plumb to plumb length, the "line length".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 03:57:26 PM by Don_P »

Templates: 5: index (default), Ads (default), Portal (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, portal_above, main, portal_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 3: SPortal.english (default), index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 1: portal (default).
Files included: 38 - 1132KB. (show)
Cache hits: 12: 0.00210s for 40,899 bytes (show)
Queries used: 29.

[Show Queries]