Author Topic: 40'x13' with 15'x16' extension Cabin Rebuild  (Read 708 times)

Offline Adam Roby

• Montreal, Canada
40'x13' with 15'x16' extension Cabin Rebuild
« on: November 06, 2018, 02:14:29 PM »
I figured I might as well start a new build thread since I officially made my offer to purchase a new 5 acre lot of land with an abandoned cabin.
The seller already accepted my verbal offer, I am just waiting for the signed paperwork, with a tentative closing date at the lawyer in mid December.

The place has been neglected for some years, and will need a lot of work so I will post my progress here.
I am excited, eager to get started, scared at what I am getting myself into... I guess the same as anyone else here that starts something like this. 
Its not a fresh build, but rather rebuilding from something that is already very rough and weathered.  We'll see if the decision was a wise one or not.

This is the first image I took when visiting the property (posted in another thread already).

This is the layout I did based on some very basic measurements (hence everything labeled as "approx").

It seems like this was originally a 32' x 13' cabin, built in 1981.  In 1986 they added 8 feet out the back, 8' off to the right, and another 8' "carport of sorts.
The plan is to clean out the place, replace what's bad and get it critter proof next spring.  Hopefully I can afford to put new tin on the roof, replace the floors, and get it to a point where I can stay the weekend with relative comfort.  End result I am aiming for is a weekend cabin, no running water or septic, with basic solar powered lights.  I already have a "real cottage" in the Laurentian Mountains of Northern Quebec, which its nice and all, but its just too much like a house, too many accessories, and creature comforts.  This new cabin is meant to be more of a guy shack, a hunting cabin, a place to get away from the city, the lights, electronics, and just be in the woods.  If I don't go for 3 months I don't have to worry about exploding pipes or stolen stuff since nothing will be left there other than my tractor and basic tools.   

There probably won't be much action until next spring but I am too excited to wait.  Planning everything now will keep my mind busy over the winter.

Offline Adam Roby

• Montreal, Canada
Re: 40'x13' with 15'x16' extension Cabin Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 07:52:27 PM »
I am planning to add a small roof over the front door.  Considering the house is on blocks, I don't want this overhang to be supported by blocks in case it moves separately from the main structure.  Idea is to slip in 8' long 2x, 4' hanging out with 4' inside connected to the existing trusses.  As extra support, I was thinking to have an angled wall. 

1)  Figure this would be strong enough?
2)  Does it look funky?

The cabin needs some curb appeal, I am not sure if this would give it a better or worse appeal.

Offline Migraine Craftsman

• Pay it Forward
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 06:15:03 AM »
Adam, I like it it's got a futuristic look to it like it belongs on star trek. Get a couple more opinions though lol, I like it because it's different.

As for strength it all depends how you frame it. I do small porches like that on my homes and the way we frame it it ain't going anywhere.

I can't wait to see this project get going, /cheers.

c*

Offline Adam Roby

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 04:25:24 AM »
I am still waiting for the lawyers to call me for the signing date.  I actually went down a couple weeks ago and changed out the locks.  I hope the old owner doesn't try to go up, they'll be in for a surprise.  The doors were actually not closing right, and were being held by wire.  I had to readjust everything so they would close right and locked it up.  I don't think anyone has been there in years, and the agent said they'd lost the keys years ago.  Meh, so in the meantime I was working on a few plan ideas, too much energy being wasted waiting.  I think this plan works pretty well.  Its a screenshot from Sketchup but the bathroom door I did manually in Paint because I originally had it facing the kitchen which removes too much counter space and makes access less... accessible.

The pink square behind the table and chairs is for a patio door.  Once I find one I will know what measurements to make that opening.  I've found a few free and a few used for a decent price, all depending when I am ready for one will decide which one I get.  I'd like to change the doors as well.  Kitchen will be up in the air for now, not much I can do with no electrical... probably just be my camping stove and sink/bucket for now anyways so I have time to design.  Main challenges this spring/summer will be getting it buttoned up with a new lid to keep it from deteriorating more.  Still, Its better to have the design ready for the day I start working on the inside.  If I have to redo some framing, knowing where extra windows or patio doors, or even stove pipe exits will be is important.  The left wall on Bedroom 2 is part of the original building so it can't move (structural) but the other interior walls are adjustable if anyone has ideas for improvements.  The plan is no electrical, no water in, no water out... but, we all know how plans can change.  There's already electrical running to the building so... I will probably wire the place before closing it in just in case.

Edit:  Looking at it now, I think the bedroom 2 door should be from the kitchen, giving an extra wall for a second sofa... 

Offline GaryT

• Welcome to the CP-Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 07:18:20 AM »
Guess it must have an outhouse?
Gary

Offline Adam Roby

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 12:07:32 PM »
Right now it has nothing.  Will start with my camping chem toilet, and maybe do an outhouse eventually if permitted.

Offline Adam Roby

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 08:16:07 AM »
I am planning to jack up and level out the cabin.  I need to find (borrow or buy) bottle jacks, but I am not sure what size I'd require.
The main structure is 13x40, single story, completely empty (studs with ply on exterior only).  The smaller the jack, the more I can use at the same time (money wise) for more safety, but I don't want to use anything undersized.  If you are lifting one section at a time to straighten the blocks, what would you use... automatically a 20-ton or can a couple of 10-ton suffice?  I want to prepare ahead of time, and if I need to buy then wait for specials or look for used.  There are two layers of shingles on there now, if that changes the weight calcs. 

Offline Nate R

• Apprentice
  • Welcome to the CP-Forum
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 12:12:37 PM »
If it's empty, you should be able to figure this out pretty close. You can find the weight of 2x lumber online, sheeting, shingles, etc. Shoudl be able to add it up, the siding, etc and maybe tack on 25% for safety?

Worst case, what, 10 lbs/sf roof and floor? (Just off the top fo my head, not any calcs there) That's 10,400 lbs there. Add the walls, 1100 lbs or so, sheathing/siding, (not sure what your siding materials are), might be another 4K lbs worst case? Looking at under 8 tons total maybe? If that's the case, 2 10 tons should be WAY more than enough.

You'll have to do your own math with what you know on materials that are there.

Some good #s here: http://www.naffainc.com/x/IRC2000/TABLES/WeightofMaterials.htm

Offline Don_P

• Journeyman
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 04:49:01 PM »
I usually get several 12 ton jacks when I start a project like that. I've typically bought 4 at a time then they seem to wander off. Walmart often has the best price. Plenty of 6x6x4' cribbing from a local mill and a smattering of lvl cutoffs to sit the jacks on, steel plates to put between jack and wood above. Remember blocks cannot take serious point load. Never trust block to not crush and disappear at the worst time, use wood cribbing to jack from and support the structure while working not block. Don't trust the jacks with your body, crib and shim things as you work. Go slow and thoughtfully, not meaning to sound like a nanny, I've been hit by flying jacks twice and had blocks crush a time or two, be safe.

Offline Adam Roby

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 06:05:43 AM »
Thanks fellas, I will start shopping around for a few.

Also thanks for the warning Don.  I am a wee bit worried about jacking up something like this.  I have to remove part of the floor, so I am hoping to work from inside the cabin if possible at first to at least straighten things out.  If I can add a full length girder under all the existing joists, leaving the existing beam in place, then I'll feel a bit safer adjusting the existing blocks.  Once I have a "double support" system in place, then I want to start leveling the place out.  I'll be alone most of the time so getting pinned, if not immediately fatal, will not end pretty if nobody knows I need help.  I think I will do as you suggest and add as much cribbing as I can, just to avoid any mistakes.  I don't mind leaving all that there at the end either.

Templates: 5: index (default), Ads (default), Portal (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, portal_above, main, portal_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 3: SPortal.english (default), index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 1: portal (default).
Files included: 37 - 1124KB. (show)
Cache hits: 12: 0.00214s for 40,717 bytes (show)
Queries used: 29.

[Show Queries]