Plan presentation guidelines

Started by MikeT, April 08, 2006, 08:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I was going to ask John this question directly, but I thought I would ask the group in hopes the responses would help all of us as we submit our plans:

Is there an accepted "order" for laying out and presenting architectural plans?

My situation:  I have taken John's VC plans and added a full basement below.  Because of the slope on the property, I have asked a friend who is a structural engineer to design the basement and when done he will put his stamp on his drawings.  When I get all the drawings together (including my modifications to John's design) I have many more pages than John's originals have--in addition to the strucutural plans he is doing, I am including plans for retaining walls, outdoor stairs, etc.   Is there a rule or guideline I should follow for what to include on page 1, page 2, page 3, etc?  You you go from the bottom up?  From the general to the specific?  Do you gang plan views, then do the section views?

Maybe I am getting too specific, but I want this to go through the review process with the reviewers feeling comfortable with how things are presented.

Thanks,
Mike

PEG688

Go to the building dept. and ask for a plans submitting guide line package. They will tell you what they want and how they want it . Every town / city/ county dept. seems to want or need something different.

Also ask for a inspection sequence chart, IE when to call for insp.

Around here the county insp. want to do a floor insp [highlight] BEFORE [/highlight]the floor sheathing is layed , so they don't have to crawl around under the floor to insp , bolt placement , straps / hold downs , blocking etc .

The city of [highlight]Oak Harbor does NOT do a pre sheathing insp[/highlight]. they come and insp the crawl space details on a framing insp.  AFTER all subs , plumbers , elec, HVAC, etc are completed .

So as I like to say it DEPENDS , check with the specific building dept . you'll be working with / some times it seems more like , " Your working [highlight][size=22]FOR[/size] [/highlight].

Good luck , PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .